PDA

View Full Version : Winchester/Miroku model 1886

DEDHEAD
05-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Hey all!

looking for some opinions on the Winchester 1886 made by Miroku.

I am considering buying one from my brother, it's full size, 45/70, been shot maybe a dozen times, it looks like new. I know these are not as desirable as the real thing, what with the tang safety, and rebounding hammer, but I'm just looking for a shooter and he offered it to me for $800.00
I don't know too much about these and welcome your thoughts.

pietro
05-19-2015, 05:37 PM

Your brother is giving you a great deal on a rifle that exhibits every bit of the superior fit/finish that used to be attributed to the Winchester Custom Shop, before it closed in 2006.

Although some rebounding hammers will cause an occasional failure to fire, the fix (slightly shortening the rebound leg of the MS strut) is fairly easy to apply.

NSB
05-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Hey all!

looking for some opinions on the Winchester 1886 made by Miroku.

I am considering buying one from my brother, it's full size, 45/70, been shot maybe a dozen times, it looks like new. I know these are not as desirable as the real thing, what with the tang safety, and rebounding hammer, but I'm just looking for a shooter and he offered it to me for $800.00
I don't know too much about these and welcome your thoughts.
I own one and can't say enough about the quality, fit, and finish of the gun. It's superbly accurate and functions flawlessly. If you don't want it for $800, tell your brother I'll take if for that price. I paid well over that for mine two years ago.....and put a few more dollars in it since then. I took it to Turnbull's and had the tang safety removed simply for cosmetic reasons after getting it case colored and lengthening the throat. These guns are made to the original factory specs and have very, very short throats on them. It's pretty easy to take care of that problem with a chamber reamer. As for desireability, try to find one other than your brothers. Seems like quite a few people want them. Turnbull's said the supply is rapidly drying up on these guns. Mines there right now getting a Skinner rear sight case colored and mounted. I'm picking it up Friday and can't wait to get it out and do some shooting with it. FWIW, this gun will shoot five shot groups pretty consistently around 1.5-1.75" at a measured 114 yds at my camp range. I'd jump on it if I were you and never even think twice about it.

AnthonyB
05-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Second behind NSB if you don't buy it.
Tony

DEDHEAD
05-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Wow! I think I just made up my mind. I wasn't aware the quality is as high as you guys are reporting.
I better call big bro' before he changes his mind.
Thanks!

osteodoc08
05-19-2015, 07:41 PM
You are getting a fine rifle for $800. Do it and don't look back.

runfiverun
05-20-2015, 12:26 PM
I bought a browning one and it is a super nice rifle.
$800.0 would have been $400.0 off.

Clay M
05-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Extremely accurate rifles with really good barrels. The throats are very short as they were designed with jacketed bullets in mind. There are still many cast bullet options that work well. The RCBS 300 and 405 GC being two..

DEDHEAD
05-20-2015, 09:13 PM
All good advice, thank you. I got it today and am busting at the seams. So cool!

Clay M
05-21-2015, 09:34 AM
All good advice, thank you. I got it today and am busting at the seams. So cool!

Great , I am sure you will enjoy that rifle.. You got a great deal on it.I think I paid $800 for my rifle when I bought it new about sixteen years ago..

Clay M
05-21-2015, 03:58 PM
If you are planning on shooting your new 86 off the bench I would suggest using one of these Gel pads ..
They take the sting out of that crescent buttplate .Especially if you are shooting heavy loads.
This one is the best I have found.It makes shooting from the bench more pleasant with any heavy recoiling rifle.
http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/copy-of-the-original-kick-killer-shoulder-pad/

One other note about this Gel pad.Keep it in a zip lok bag in the refrigerator,because the heat will start to liquefy it over a period of two or three years.They will pretty much last forever if you do that.

DEDHEAD
05-21-2015, 05:19 PM
One last note, I was originally looking for a Pedersoli sharps or the like, and still want one. If someone would be interested in a trade pm me.

Clay M
05-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Save your money and buy both. The '86 is my favorite lever action, and the Sharps is my favorite single shot..
I am very fortunate to have both, and I would hate to have to pick one I had to sell.
My .45/70's are among my favorite rifles so they would be some of the last to go.
That and my .308's
My grandfather hired me to kill starlings with a Sheridan pellet rifle for .25 a piece when I was ten years old..
I guess I have graduated up from there..:lol:

Griff411
05-22-2015, 12:45 AM
DON'T SELL YOUR `86! I too have both, but I'd be very sorry to lose the '86. I've never had an issue with mine and it's a superb gun. You'd be sorry if you sold or traded it away. Trust me on this.

Griff

Chill Wills
05-22-2015, 11:36 PM
I agree with the good advice above so this is a "me too" post but I do have a Japan Winchester. Picked it up new in 1999 form a gun shop in Rifle, Colorado for $950 or close. I got it to take some of the wear and tear off the beater 1886 (real Winchester) I'd been shooting the daylights out of with cast.

The made in Japan '86 Replica turned out to be very much better than I imagined! It is a great rifle on it's own. Fit, finish and accurate barrel and chamber are great. Yes, it has the correct Gov. chamber -as in short throat, just like all the old Winchesters. ......it shoots fine. I never even thought to ream it! ?????

I also agree - Don't sell it for a Sharps! Own both. A fella can never have too many 45-70's! If you have lead and almost any powder, you can build a load to shoot.

Clay M
05-24-2015, 07:55 PM
For the lever guns like the 86 , I like the 350-360 grain bullets..They are great hunting bullets and seem to work well for targets.. Try the Saeco # 017 It is an extremely accurate design.
I have a new Accurate mold in 360 GC that I believe will be the perfect bullet for these rifles..
Bullets over 400 grs produce a substantial amount of recoil..I save those for the Sharps..
It is heavier and handles recoil better..
I will try to post some info on the 360 bullet soon.. I have had to deal with a lot of funerals lately ..
Soon my friend..soon..
The best accuracy I have gotten from these rifles so far is MOA at 100 yds..for three shot, with the originals sights.
My eyes are old and fading fast so your results might be better..
I had some great original 86's when I was younger. One in .45/70. a near mint one in .45/90 and one in .38/56 .Also one in the .33 WCF .
I was young and foolish and let them slip away..
I do like these Japanese Winchesters. The Japanese make some fantastic products..They are brilliant engineers.Their guitars, cars, and rifles are exceptional..

DEDHEAD
05-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate all the info I can get.

missionary5155
05-28-2015, 03:12 AM
Good morning
Yes buy it ! I did some years ago and have no regrets. Everything about those 86,s is top notch. I have the 26 in octagon model which is very accurate. Good tight throat and groove diameter to match. It is an easy step to have it throated to handle cast boolits. Well worth the time and the little cost. I generaly do most my shooting sitting with cross sticks so the recoil is far better distributed through the upper body.
Mike in Peru

rondog
05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
How about some pics of these rifles guys? They sound wonderful! Never seen one.

rr2241tx
05-28-2015, 02:49 PM
This is one of the Pimp Sisters. Shoots lights out with 300-405 grain jacketed or cast bullets. It goes to hunting camp and tromps through the woods just like the plain sisters but it gets a lot more attention afterward than they do. The photos aren't my doing but they are of my rifle. The original owner had probably never even opened the action, judging by the absence of wear. I corrected that situation.

NSB
05-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Here's mine. An 1886 and an 1885 both worked over by Turnbull.

Clay M
05-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Here's mine. An 1886 and an 1885 both worked over by Turnbull.

Very nice..I have thought about sending my 86 to Turnbull.
What kind of receiver sight is that?

NSB
05-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Very nice..I have thought about sending my 86 to Turnbull.
What kind of receiver sight is that?
It's a Skinner sight with a Merit adjustable aperture made specifically for the Skinner. I've taken it off after using it one time. I had the Skinner apertures case colored and prefer the look of them on the gun instead. I have to say though, the Merit is a real help to seeing the front sight for older eyes. I've used them on a variety of rifles over the years and used one mounted on my glasses for shooting pistol too. They give you a very sharp sight picture. I had the Skinner sight case colored by Turnbull also. So far, it's a one-of-a-kind. Notice my Leupold rings on the 1885? Turnbull case colored them also to match the receiver. I've never seen another set like them yet. Someone other than me must have thought of this? Here's a pic of the Skinner with the Skinner aperture in it....non adjustable but comes in five different sizes.

Clay M
05-28-2015, 04:27 PM
I think that is what I need. I did great shooting with the rifle about fifteen years ago but my eyesight is failing fast..I don't believe I will ever be able to shoot very well with the factory sights again..