PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Piggyback II Mounting Question.

JesterGrin_1
05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
My press does not have a locating pin hole for the RCBS Piggyback II. Should I index the Piggyback II where I want it and drill the press for the locating pin or is it needed? Thank You.

(Just an FYI. I did call RCBS about this and was informed sorry you can not use a current production RCBS Press as it will not work. You will need to find an old RCBS Press to mount the RCBS Piggyback. )

cheese1566
05-19-2015, 02:30 PM
You shouldn't have to use a pin. I first mounted my piggy to a Reloader Special 3. It doesn't have the slot in the top of the press. I snugged the nut down and had no issues. It is possible to grab the piggy and twist it loose, but take it easy and you shouldn't have trouble.

I later added the the pin when I moved up to an older Rockchucker.

JesterGrin_1
05-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Thank You for the information. I mounted the Piggyback II on a New Lee Classic Cast Single Stage press with just the nut but with a 1/2" breaker bar lol. It really should not move even without the locating pin. And I still need to do a bit of tweaking but it is sure smooth in operation but that is bare.

But I do have another problem. And that is why I lost track of time and thus writing at this time of morning lol. And that is since I am not going to use the factory type of powder dispense system but I am going to use the RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady case activated powder drop there is nothing to keep the case from moving around when it gets to station 3 as the case detection arm is just floating around. Is there a fix to keep the case from moving around and to feed into the die correctly?

cheese1566
05-21-2015, 08:26 AM
I had the same situation on my AmmoMaster. RCBS didn't have an update to a fix and I sent a pic to my RCBS tech friend.

i used the old parts with the pivot pin and spring. I modeled it after the old bar but didn't included the side dimple that protrudes into an empty slot in the shell holder. It works, but I may redo it someday as a winter project. I made it from some simple alum flat stock.

i tried using one of the spring case retainers like the other stations, but the top isn't designed.

Nice thing though is it pivots like the old so I can easily remove a case to check charges or whatever.

You could probably use the old arm, but I wanted to keep all my parts original in case I ever need to go back, or use my case activated drop somewhere else.

JesterGrin_1
09-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Cheese1566 just an update. I did not have the stock spring as you have but made up this out of HDPE. And it works :). Yes I know it is not fancy lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Piggyback_zpsp0wofobi.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SHAKERATTLEROLL/media/Piggyback_zpsp0wofobi.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/PiggybackII_zpsxakfzvjq.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SHAKERATTLEROLL/media/PiggybackII_zpsxakfzvjq.jpg.html)

I know one thing for sure I should have done this a long time ago. I plan to now look for a shell plate for .44 Mag. As I have a new Die Plate on the way so I do not have to readjust everything. Except I do need one of those Hornady powder drop adapters so I do not have to change everything over for handling powder. :)

cheese1566
09-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Nice!! Good work!

cheese1566
09-04-2015, 09:02 PM
If your using dies with locknuts w/setscrews (not Lee), you should be able screw your dies in and out for caliber changes.
Extra top plates are nice though.

JesterGrin_1
09-04-2015, 09:17 PM
My dies are mostly RCBS. I am sure I can change them out but to set them up took some time. To be honest most of the time was getting the power thrown to be correct as it is a bit of a pain to remove the brass many times to check powder throws due to the automatic index.

Plus really I have never had a real need to load a bunch of the same type of ammo for anything so the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press has worked great.

I will add however that I should have had something like this RCBS Piggyback years ago lol. For what I call simple ammo for general use such as the .357 Mag and may use it for .38 Special. Especially since I just received a Lee C358-158 SWC/GC 6 cavity mold. :)

And plan to find a shell plate for .44 Mag as I have a simple low end load I like to use for general shooting.