PDA

View Full Version : Value of Early SA Garand?

AlaskaMike
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
When I ordered a Garand from the CMP a couple of years ago, I thought I'd better order two (hey, if one's good, two's better!). Actually, my plan was to keep the one that shot better, and sell the other in a couple years at a profit to help finance my keeper. That time has come, and it dawned on me that the serial number seems very low and I figure I should make sure I don't have something that's worth a premium before I part with it for $800.

The serial number is 30xxx, which seems to put it in the 1940 range. It's a CMP service grade Springfield Armory rifle complete with a number of small dings and scuffs in the stock, and I'm sure it's been rebuilt at least once in its life. It has the later stamped style trigger guard and the later style sight adjustment knobs.

I'm guessing it's probably nothing special, but I know some of you guys have forgotten more about Garands than I know, and wanted to ask what you think?

Thanks,
Mike

garandsrus
03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Mike,

I would post your question on Jouster (http://www.jouster.com). That's where the Garand experts seem to hang out. They will probably want to know more/all of the various part numbers though and see a picture before giving a value.

You do have a low serial number. Some folks think that the "5 digit" numbers command some amount of premium.

Also, does the stock have a cartouche on it? Is the stock walnut or birch? This should be on the left side of the stock near the trigger. There may also be a circle P on the pistol grip. The cartouche will affect the value, I don't think the circle P does.

John

Hip's Ax
03-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I second Jouster.com, these guys will know for sure. If I remember correctly serial numbers below 50,000 were Gas Trap Garands. Your rifle indeed may be worth more than the average CMP papered service grade.

trooperdan
03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
What is the date on the barrel? The date will be on the right side, just in the chamber area, visible with the op rod to the rear.

JMax
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Become a member here and ask the questions as you will be burried in great info.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/m1-garand/

kywoodwrkr
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I had a November '40 which was 100% correct per Ruth's signed data sheet which was sold with the rifle.
I paid $850 for it and even told the dealer(a friend) that he wasn't asking enough for it. He insisted that I buy it for the $850.
Sold it to another friend who collects M1s. He paid me $1300 for it and said it was worth more but he had to have trade and etc room for later movement of it.
Bottom line is it has to be absolutely correct to demand a high price. Not just mushed together but must be wear correlated or have uniform wear appearance.
BUT again the folks at jouster would be where I would go to get definitive analysis of the serial number value.
You should assume if it were really valuable, the CMP would have segregated it from the others as they are very much interested in obtaining any extra money possible.[smilie=1:
Just one persons opinion.
DaveP kywoodwrkr