PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Hunting Trip in October

Michael J. Spangler
05-18-2015, 08:17 PM
So Saturday was my 30th birthday. My darling wife thought it would be a good idea to get me something nice. She wanted it to be more than another bullet mold or firearm accessory. I had no clue what she was planning. She had been talking with a friend of mine that had just moved out to Idaho about 3 weeks go. Well she signed me up to fly out of Boston on the 8th and head to Spokane. I'll be picked up about an hour later when my friend gets out of work, then the fun begins.
I'm super excited. This if my first real hunting trip. I'm not much of a traveler at all, and don't do much hunting other than squirrel and upland game. I have gone for deer plenty of times but It's mostly stand hunting around here and not my favorite.
So what should I be expecting?
I think the plan is to do some small game and some fishing and depending on how his scouting goes and what he learns about the area over the next couple of months we will try for something bigger. I might get a deer tag, which it seems is good for mountain lion or a black bear if they are in season.
Really I'll just be happy to post a thread like sixshot where we drive around all day, do some hiking and blast a few critters with my side arm. Anything else is a bonus.

I'm also trying to figure out what to bring for firearms. My buddy has just about anything I could need to hunt anything I could possibly encounter. I think it would be nice to take some game with one or two of my firearms though. You can't really hunt much with a pistol or a rifle in MA (no deer hunting with them at all) so this is going to be new to me. I really want to be able to use some hand loaded ammo with my own cast boolits to do the job on some critters. That would be a proud day.
Any suggestions on what to bring or how to prepare would be appreciated. I'm thinking I want to take my Marlin 1894C in 357 and my S&W 629-4 in 44 Mag. I'm sure that will change depending on what he figures out for hunting areas and whats around for game.

Oh and my buddy lives in Couer D'Alene but I'm not sure where we're going to go to do the hunting yet. He's been exploring every day after work and all of his days off so I'm sure he's going to find some good places by the time I'm out there. Suggestions are always welcome.

My wife is awesome I can't wait to go on this hunt. :grin:

GunnyJohn
05-18-2015, 10:09 PM
If you have a rifle chambered in 308 270 3006 or something other than 357 would be a good thing. I like getting in close so a 30-30 or 45-70 is always on my list. That's if you plan to hunt deer. Up around Couer D' Alene could be anything from wide open country to brushy areas. Have fun and good luck. Mostly have fun out here in the west.

sixshot
05-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Have your friend check with the local Fish & Game & also every Taxidermist in the area, they are a good resource. If you are going to be hunting Idaho in Oct. its going to be deer, either mule deer or white tails & also black bear. The white tails like heavy cover along creek bottoms, farm land, old orchards, etc. The bears will be working the berry patches & will always be close to heavy cover. Some areas allow baiting, some don't, same with using dogs on bears. You'll have to check the regs to find out on the bears.
There's lots of heavy cover in that part of the state, its beautiful country & there's lots of it, don't get lost, have fun & you should be able to whack a deer if you have a few days & get back off the main roads.

Dick

Michael J. Spangler
05-19-2015, 07:34 AM
If you have a rifle chambered in 308 270 3006 or something other than 357 would be a good thing. I like getting in close so a 30-30 or 45-70 is always on my list. That's if you plan to hunt deer. Up around Couer D' Alene could be anything from wide open country to brushy areas. Have fun and good luck. Mostly have fun out here in the west. I do have a nice rem 700 in 300 RUM if we're hunting in the wide open. If we're close up I can bring the 1894C or I can bring my 1895 in 45-70

Have your friend check with the local Fish & Game & also every Taxidermist in the area, they are a good resource. If you are going to be hunting Idaho in Oct. its going to be deer, either mule deer or white tails & also black bear. The white tails like heavy cover along creek bottoms, farm land, old orchards, etc. The bears will be working the berry patches & will always be close to heavy cover. Some areas allow baiting, some don't, same with using dogs on bears. You'll have to check the regs to find out on the bears.
There's lots of heavy cover in that part of the state, its beautiful country & there's lots of it, don't get lost, have fun & you should be able to whack a deer if you have a few days & get back off the main roads.

Dick
Awesome I'll have him ask around. Any suggestions on where to go for some small game? I really want to try out my 1894C and one of my revolvers on some little critters.

runfiverun
05-19-2015, 07:54 AM
the rock-chucks are usually holed up by October and would for sure take you away from deer hunting once you started chasing them anyway.:lol:

Dick is down in the south east corner where I am, and coeur'Delane is a long way's up state from us.
it's just below the Canadian border and the back woods areas can be rough and steep.
there is some good fishing up that way, but the weather can turn out nasty cold in a heart beat.
bring some GOOD boots that will handle the wet, cold, and mud for a few day's straight.
2 pairs would be better.

your 300 rum is about an inch longer case length than anything I use but your 44 will come in handy for sure.
I swap back and forth between a 44/45colt, a 30-30 and either my 7 mauser or 25-06 depending on where I'm gonna hunt that day.
and sometimes I swap between a rifle and a lever gun in the same day as we work the different draws down a canyon.

as far as the hunting you have to pick either a white tail or a mule deer tag and then target their habitat in the area.
and airc an out of state deer tag is good for either a black bear or a deer.

rush1886
05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
A couple of years back, the local Fish and Game was begging hunters statewide, to journey north, and help to put the hurt on a wild pig problem. airc, this was central to the Moscow area, but certainly involved the CourD'Alene/Spokane area as well. Have your buddy look into that. Local taxidermists would be good sources, as previously mentioned.

You will be venturing into liberal territory, so beware the Spotted Owls!

Newtire
05-19-2015, 08:45 AM
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/ You probably have this URL?

sixshot
05-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Runfiverun is correct, we are at the opposite end of Idaho from where you will be hunting, so pretty much different in many ways, especially the white tail deer. We have a few down in this end but nothing like up where you will be hunting. Bird season will also be open & you can leagally take grouse with centerfire guns in the fall, so slow down those cast slugs or head shoot them, just be careful of where you are pointing your gun, don't want a stray bullet hitting a Utah fisherman!
I'd still zero in on the white tails, if you don't get anywhere with the taxidermists just buy a few of the local high school kids a milk shake & ask them, they'll talk all day long! Beware of private property but there's lots of public land up there, you just have to do a little home work & that starts with the taxidermists, high school kids & coffee shops.

Dick

white eagle
05-19-2015, 01:14 PM
I hunted in Idaho once
near Lolo MT. in the Clearwater forest area
had a great time very steep and rugged country
enjoy your trip you should have a great time

Michael J. Spangler
05-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Runfiverun is correct, we are at the opposite end of Idaho from where you will be hunting, so pretty much different in many ways, especially the white tail deer. We have a few down in this end but nothing like up where you will be hunting. Bird season will also be open & you can leagally take grouse with centerfire guns in the fall, so slow down those cast slugs or head shoot them, just be careful of where you are pointing your gun, don't want a stray bullet hitting a Utah fisherman!
I'd still zero in on the white tails, if you don't get anywhere with the taxidermists just buy a few of the local high school kids a milk shake & ask them, they'll talk all day long! Beware of private property but there's lots of public land up there, you just have to do a little home work & that starts with the taxidermists, high school kids & coffee shops.

Dick

all good points. thank you. i thought the natives wanted to get rid of the utah fishermen? i'm surprised there isn't a season on them

runfiverun
05-19-2015, 09:37 PM
it's unofficial, and only open on week-end's :lol:
the guy's that come up during the week pretty much mind their own business, and are fairly conscientious neighbors on the water.
I really wish they'd stay a county down though.

Idaho Mule
05-19-2015, 11:48 PM
A couple of years back, the local Fish and Game was begging hunters statewide, to journey north, and help to put the hurt on a wild pig problem. airc, this was central to the Moscow area, but certainly involved the CourD'Alene/Spokane area as well. Have your buddy look into that. Local taxidermists would be good sources, as previously mentioned.

You will be venturing into liberal territory, so beware the Spotted Owls! No wild pig problem in Moscow area, nor any where near to here, libs, yes. JW

Idaho Mule
05-20-2015, 12:10 AM
You are getting good info. Have your buddy check into the St. Joe River drainage, South of CDA a bit. There are LOTS of white-tail deer there, and a few mulies up on the highest ridges. Bear are in great shape in that region too. Number one thing is to get the regs and study them well. For info check some of the locals in Kellogg/ Smelterville/ Pinehurst area, farther East but those guys are good hunters altho a bit closed- mouth with strangers. The 1894c will work fine on deer under 100 yds. but for what you have mentioned the 45-70 or 300 RUM might be better choices because of the variable terrain and ranges. Trust me when I tell you this, you can run into ground that is literally steep enough to make a grass-hopper slide. I am in Moscow area (South of CDA) but will be happy to help if I can. JW

dougader
05-22-2015, 11:26 AM
If I can locate the contact info (it's been a few years), I can call an old highschool buddy who actually bought a lodge north of Couer D'Alene. He told me there is all kinds of game there, including deer, black bear, even moose.

Michael J. Spangler
05-22-2015, 04:54 PM
thanks! that would be awesome!

dougader
05-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Sorry. It turns out his ex got that in the divorce.

Michael J. Spangler
05-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Ouch. Thank you for the effort

kootne
05-23-2015, 01:09 PM
You will get a lot further with the locals if you ask, "where's a good place to go shoot some wolves?"

nylocmik
06-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Lived in Coeur d'Alene all my life, so far anyway, and the best places to shoot wolves is in the head, the stomach, the chest, the rear or any place you have a chance of hitting it.

Michael J. Spangler
06-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Any suggestions on clothing and gear? I'm used to hunting close to home in south eastern MA. I always layer up but it's usually a quick walk to the house or car. I want to make sure I'm geared up with for the Idaho weather.
I have a pair of nice 1000 gram thinsulate boots and lots of layers of warm duofold shirts and such. I could probably beef up my stock of layers for my lower half.
Do you guys go full on thick insulated clothing or layer up? I'm thinking of layering up and maybe going with a one or two piece waterproof top layer

Michael J. Spangler
06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Oh yeah for gear.
I'm thinking of picking up a kenai chest rig or a guides choice chest rig to keep the 629 handy.
Also thinking about a marbles tang sight for the 1894C in 357. It's a sweet little gun and I know I could whack a deer sized game dead as far as the cartridge could handle the animal but I figure for the smaller game it would help tighten up my groups vs the irons.
Though I might buy a family members customer sporterized Mauser in 30'06. He had built before I was born. It's a beautiful piece and he claims it's accurate. Hopefully I can swing that by the range sometime soon to test it out.

waksupi
06-07-2015, 09:55 AM
I think you will find toting a rifle around the mountains is plenty weight, without adding the pistol to the load. It also marks a person as a pilgrim out here. If you can't get the job done with a rifle, the handgun probably wouldn't help much. Just leave it in camp.

Leatherhead Bullets
06-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Lots of planning to do before you get here for sure. Whatever weapon you choose to utilize, just know it's limitations and be skillful with it. As far as clothing. Layers is the way to go out here. Start with a good base layer. Morino wool, etc. Then fleece, then shell. Has worked for me the past 30 years in the mountains. A good stocking cap and gloves should always be in you pack, as well as rations for a couple days. Two forms to start a fire with you as well. It doesn't need to be high tech, just waterproof. You wouldn't be the first guy to get disoriented in the mountains. First priority though....Get in shape! The elevation, topography, and weather changes can kick you in the pants. Being in shape will help maintain your focus if you get into trouble, and when it is time to make the shot. I am not a big stair stepper fan. We spend lots of time at the local high school doing stadium workouts on the stairs with loaded packs etc. Don't forget to give your anticipated area of destination to a reliable person back in town and an estimated time you will be back. You will likely not have cell service once out of the highway corridor. Every year an unsuspecting soul becomes news worthy because he/she was not prepared for what can happen. Temperature swings of 30-40 degrees in a couple hours are not uncommon with storm fronts. I have been in the frank church in September when the mid afternoon temp was 70, and by 9 at night we were trudging through a foot of snow with horses trying to get back to camp (didn't make it. Cold night on the mountain fore sure). It dumped 24" by morning. Not the norm, but not uncommon either.
Remember to be safe and keep asking lots of questions.
Good luck!

waksupi
06-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Lots of planning to do before you get here for sure. Whatever weapon you choose to utilize, just know it's limitations and be skillful with it. As far as clothing. Layers is the way to go out here. Start with a good base layer. Morino wool, etc. Then fleece, then shell. Has worked for me the past 30 years in the mountains. A good stocking cap and gloves should always be in you pack, as well as rations for a couple days. Two forms to start a fire with you as well. It doesn't need to be high tech, just waterproof. You wouldn't be the first guy to get disoriented in the mountains. First priority though....Get in shape! The elevation, topography, and weather changes can kick you in the pants. Being in shape will help maintain your focus if you get into trouble, and when it is time to make the shot. I am not a big stair stepper fan. We spend lots of time at the local high school doing stadium workouts on the stairs with loaded packs etc. Don't forget to give your anticipated area of destination to a reliable person back in town and an estimated time you will be back. You will likely not have cell service once out of the highway corridor. Every year an unsuspecting soul becomes news worthy because he/she was not prepared for what can happen. Temperature swings of 30-40 degrees in a couple hours are not uncommon with storm fronts. I have been in the frank church in September when the mid afternoon temp was 70, and by 9 at night we were trudging through a foot of snow with horses trying to get back to camp (didn't make it. Cold night on the mountain fore sure). It dumped 24" by morning. Not the norm, but not uncommon either.
Remember to be safe and keep asking lots of questions.
Good luck!

I believe I was the beneficiary of the same storm front while in the Great Bear Wilderness.

MT Gianni
06-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Layer up whether wool or hi-tech polys. Quiet is almost more important than warmth. Fleeces pick up preachers lice and assorted other sticky weed heads. Not what you want to spend the first hour back in camp picking off. I prefer good warm socks to thinsulate. I have never had a boot with over 400 thinsulate rating, Dry is much more important. I have walked all over in a pair of muck boots and done rather well. Lots of undergrowth in that area, huckleberry, 9 bark, you name it, it seems to be thigh high many seasons. If it is wet you will soon be soaked if you have not prepared. If your rain gear rattles you are better off staying in camp. Quiet should rule the day. Because a gps doesn't always work when the clouds are surrounding you, make sure you can read a compass, check a compass and take sightings and azimuths regularly. If you have to spend some time away from camp remember that there is always dry wood in that country, most of it hides 6"-8" inside wet wood. Carry a big enough chopper to deal with that.

Cleve Branch
06-07-2015, 11:29 PM
A lot of good advice already given. I am About 70 miles south of CDA. But not far from the Joe area. I have done a bit of logging in that area and around CDA definitely get in shape. Stairs are your best bet. I have been to PA and the Mountains back there are not like ours. If You stand at the bottom of one of ours and look up to the top you may fall on your back. Well not realy but they are big and some STEEP. 100 yard gun in that area is good but there are BIG clear cuts also so longer range is possible.
I never heard of this wild hog problem either or I would be on it. If you are here for a deer hunt you probly won't mess with the small game. Maybe a grouse or possible yote.
Wolf tags are cheep even for out of state get one you don't want to regret not getting one if you see one. And you,should take as many home as you can.
Layers are best, good boots that fit and don't rub. We're them a lot before you get here.
happy hunting
Cleve

Michael J. Spangler
06-14-2015, 10:55 AM
I haven't had a chance to check out the Mauser yet. Though I could just use this as an excuse to get another nice lever gun.
I'm on the lookout for some nice merino wool base layers. I have plenty to wear in between but I need to get a nice camo outer layer.
I'm trying to decide between a top and bottom or a coverall. Any suggestions on good quiet top layers? That's the one thing I really lack. I usually layer up but my top layers are kind of heavy jackets and such. I have always needed a good top layer. I do have a decent set of warm bottoms too. I have some lined ll bean jeans and some under armor and duofold bottoms. I just need some camo to cover it all up.

CHeatermk3
06-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Don't know about Idaho but here in WA state we are required to wear a ridiculous amount of "Hunter orange" which would seem to negate the need for spendy camo. I hunt in jeans and a hunter orange overvest my wife made for me out of my old duc hunting shotgun vest. Woolen pants in the colder months--I favor the German mil-surp pants wool is mucho warm and above all, quiet.

waksupi
06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Idaho has no hunter orange requirement. Just a good idea in general though.

Michael J. Spangler
06-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. Keep it coming.

runfiverun
06-14-2015, 09:41 PM
the orange is not a requirement but is a suggestion.
and a good one in many places here where we get umm overexcited out of state hunters.

there are many day's I wear whatever I got on, but I generally hunt fairly close to home on short draw jaunts.
even on those I take my three compartment hip pack and have had to use it's contents on more than one occasion [close enough to the house I could hear my dog barking at night]
but if you get to the back of a boulder strewn canyon and get a buck too big to carry down [right before dark] you have limited options.
walking out without even a moon to help you is asking to break an ankle. [never mind coming back to a bunch of bones]

I use multiple layered jackets made by Columbia and Browning they have zip out liners and good waterproof shells. [Gore-Tex] when I pack hunt the liners mash down well and the shell is super light and keeps the morning breeze or rain at bay.
they are intended for duck hunting but work great for deer hunting.

over insulated boots will cause more problems than they are worth, 400 gram thinsulate is secondary to waterproof for sure [I hate thinsulate]
so I generally wear my work boots which are 8" tall [and steel toed] but are well broken in.

as far as rifles go something simple and reliable will fill the bill.
I have several choices here and depending on the way I'm hunting is how I make my choice.
the lightweight stainless rugers in either 308 or 358 are never a bad choice, both are light and wear composite stocks. [these go on longer trips]
my 7 Ackley and 25-06 both wear wood stocks and longer barrels but have been along on several pack in trips. [short 2-3 day trips]
lever guns are fine but generally find their way into your hands and get super heavy after half a day or so.
I bought a couple of lighter carbines to fight the weight demons that pop up at 8,000' especially when you are wearing your house, dresser, and cup-board on your back.

Tea and sugar are a godsend in camp.
tea-bags are super light and re-useable and delicious.[even if you ain't a Tea drinker it's good]
sugar, salt and pepper is easily transported inside a drinking straw with the ends sealed shut, and the straw makes a good stirrer for the Tea or whatever and pack back out easily.
and garbage bags holy cow don't forget those, they are useful for about 2 million things.

water is one of those things you'd think is everywhere in the rocky mountains and it very well could be.
keep one more bottle on you than you think you'll need for the day and drink it,, it will pay off on day three.

and finally socks.
socks are worth about 3 million dollars when your,,,, umm, well not near any clean/dry ones.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-16-2015, 03:29 PM
As has already been said GET GOOD BOOTS, gortex and insulated and better two pair!!!!!!!

The wool coats and pants, while warm, is extremely heavy when it gets wet.

However, make sure your synthetic outer clothing is quite!!!!!!!!! Pants and coats!

Then as Idaho Mule said, the 357 could get er done within reason, but much better choices are the 45/70 and 300.

If using the 300, use a good bullet of at least 180gr ( can get along with a bit lighter if it is a Nosler Partition, Barnes or one of the bonded type.) Not that the lighter bullets with less integrity won't kill, but just that along with the kill can come a lot of meat loss.

The 45/70 with a good Wide Flat Nose cast bullet of 400gr or more is awesome on deer and elk!!!! Yep been there and doing that! 465gr WFN is creating a growing pile of deer harvested along with 2 elk at this point.

Avoid the Hornady FTX!!!!!!!!!! Very accurate in lots of rifles, but marginal at best in the integrity department and anything but a through and through behind the shoulders on a deer or elk is going to cause excessive meat loss. And yes have been there and seen that on a friend's white tail buck that I was called on to help skin, clean for hanging, hang and butcher. That plus the forum reports I've read say it will get it done, but the honest folk say it is destructive in heavy muscle or if it strikes bone. Simply Much better bullets available!

I live just over the hill, - Moscow Mountain - from Idaho Mule and like him have heard nothing about wild hogs in the area. I live East of Moscow (say moss cow) a bit over 20 miles, the Mule about 10 - 15 miles North.

Sure would like to take my 45/70 after some of those critters - hogs -, yes sir, I sure would!

The area your looking at is very good White Tail area.

My area has so many that there is a drawing for "extra" antlerless deer tags. Hundreds of "extra" tags. Farmers have a thing about white tails and elk on their property.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Michael J. Spangler
06-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys.
I really don't care what I hunt for as long as I hunt something. I'm just as happy with lever gun shots at jack rabbits and sage grouse but a wolf or a white tail would be awesome.
I might just take the 357 if I work out a good load. My buddy has anything else I would need to cover any type of hunting we could do.
Unless my fathers in law's uncle's Mauser proves to be something worth buying.
Though this whole proposition makes me want another lever gun (an excuse to buy another lever gun) so who knows.
I have some heavy insulated boots but I need a pair of lighter ones better for sketchy terrains.
I guess if I get there and he weather is totally different than what I packed for I can head to Cabela's and buy what I need.

I do have a marlin 1895 that would be well suited to the woods there too.
Decisions decisions.

TheCelt
06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
If you have an 1895 in 45-70 and a good load worked up you're good to go!!! I had the great fortune to hunt Idaho the last two years and can honestly say it was the best time I ever had. First year was just north of Moyie Springs up north and last year was about 40 miles due east of Boise. Lot more open country in the southern mountains but it is all beautiful. I carried a sidearm the first year and like Waksupi says it's a lot of extra weight, I left it home last year. I would like to advise you to take some "motion sickness" pills and dark chocolate bars. I did OK the first year but last year we got high (7k ft) and I got altitude sickness. It feels like the worst hangover you ever had except you don't feel better after you loose your lunch. It got better with time but I was hard down for a day and never did do well above 6K for the whole two weeks. You are fixin to have one heck of a good time!!!!

Beerd
06-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Another thing to help prevent altitude sickness, drink lots of water. Today it's called staying hydrated, used to be called drink enough so you have to pee every hour or so.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Yep, LOTS of water!

Elk hunted in Utah, and it just seemed like I was always craving water.

CDOC