PDA

View Full Version : "O" Rings

1_Ogre
05-18-2015, 05:58 PM
There always comes a time when we are working away and "WHAM we are stopped in our tracks because an "O" ring breaks, splits or just goes away. The industry can't make specific "O" rings for everything so they've standardized the sizes to a modest 50 or so for us reloaders uses.
Kenetic bollit pullers are the SAME SIZES internally, and parts are basically interchangable for them.
I only use the Lyman boolit sizers, #45's and I've used some #450's and they use the same "O" rings also.
Here is what I've been using for decades, and they are all available from Home Depot, are under the brand name "Danco" come in a pack of 10 each, and cost (at least here in Florida) $2.69/pack of 10.
The little "O" ring that holds that infernal top 3 piece assembly together in your knetic boolit puller is a #35 item #96749
The Lyman presses use two "O" rings and they are:
Small - #35 item #96749
Large - #15 item #96732
So with this information, you don't have to go ordering from the manufacturer any more, just go to Home Depot and for under $6.00 you should have almost a life time supply of "O" rings now.

pworley1
05-18-2015, 06:01 PM
I get the box from harbor freight.

Old Scribe
05-19-2015, 11:54 AM
If the O ring breaks in 1 spot I have cut the ends flush, put a small dab of super glue on one end and put the ends together. A quick fix - most of the time.

Isaac
05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Excellent information. Thanks very much. :-)

Isaac

jmorris
05-19-2015, 02:51 PM
I have the assortment boxes and a "make your own" kit that just has different diameter o ring stock and a little fixture for alignment after you apply the super glue.

smokeywolf
05-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Been buying o-rings as separate and individual parts for years.

Back in the late '80s, I was purchasing mgr. for one of the top 3 motion picture film laboratories in the U.S. In the first few weeks, being new to that role, I had to get approval signatures on purchase orders over $100.00.

Seeing a need to replenish supplies of an o-ring used specifically in a particular model gearbox, I called the distributor of that gearbox and got a quote of $3.60 ea., which matched the price on a previous PO issued by my predecessor. Per my calipers, the sample o-ring I had in hand appeared to be of standard size, and material appeared to be of common Buna-N. I called a local major o-ring supplier and got a quote of 18 cents ea. I wrote up a new PO for 100 of these o-rings and took it to administration for signature. I was immediately queried as to why we had to pay so much for these o-rings ($18.00/100). As I had the foresight to bring the old PO (showing $43.20/12) with me, I handed it over to VP who was questioning my judgement.

That was the last time I had to get administrative approval on a PO smaller than $2,000.00.