PDA

View Full Version : Noe/ranch dog 311-165 pb load data

kfd518
05-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Been reading for a while and can't find much load data for this boolit.
The info doesn't come up on RD site. Also have not found anything concerning loads w the Hp version.
[edit]Will be used in marlin 336,mg bbl of about 2001 vintage ( I'd you can call it vintage)
Most of the info I have been able to find has been for GC version.
haven't cast any yet, trying to get some data and what to put behind it, afte being cast out of straight WW.

Shuz
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
I use this boolit in a Marlin 336. My load is 7g of Unique and the boolit sized to .309. Primer is Rem 9-1/2 and OAL for my rifle is 2.408" Velocity is 1132 fps with an SD of 3. Accuracy is close to an inch at 50 meters.(1.031") for 5 shots. 4x scope.

PoisonIvyMagnet
05-18-2015, 10:44 AM
I started off using loads listed for 170gn lead projectiles, beginning at the low end of the powder range and working up. Try the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for a good reference. Gas check or plain base won't make any difference for the data. Solid or hollow point won't much either. The gas check just helps reduce leading and lets you shoot lead projectiles faster than the usual 1600fps limit.
I use a NOE mold for the 165gn ranch dog bullet too. You won't always find load data for exactly your situation, like for a 165gn as opposed to 150 or 170. Try to reference as many sources as you can- load manuals, powder manufacturers websites, etc. They help you find a safe starting point that you can work up from. Just pick data for projectiles that are close to what you want to load, and start off on the low end of the powder range listed.

jaysouth
05-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Go to this link. Click on the bullet weight under the caliber on the left margin. Scroll down the new page for several dozen loads that you can interpolate/extrapolate to your own use.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

My accuracy rates vary GREATLY from what paco posted here. Some better, some worse.

HiVelocity
05-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I would take the published information (Ranch Dog) Michael Reamy provided initially for this load and reduce it by 10%, then work up.

Here is the link, in PDF format: http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC311165RF/data/loadnotes.pdf Enjoy!

HV

kfd518
05-21-2015, 05:59 PM
I would take the published information (Ranch Dog) Michael Reamy provided initially for this load and reduce it by 10%, then work up.

Here is the link, in PDF format: http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC311165RF/data/loadnotes.pdf Enjoy!

HV

Had ad been trying to get that link to work before but wouldn't. I finally email,him and he got it corrected and sent me the new info. Thank you sir, for the link again.

Have to to find mold now for 32 h&r/ 32-20 and .45 colt

TXGunNut
05-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Let me know how it works for you. That mould is sitting on my bench awaiting a good scrubbing, heat cycling and a good dose of silver stream therapy.

kfd518
05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Let me know how it works for you. That mould is sitting on my bench awaiting a good scrubbing, heat cycling and a good dose of silver stream therapy.

Will do but it's going to be a bit still, found a new gun yesterday… used my allowance on it instead of handles and other loading supplies…

TXGunNut
05-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Know what you mean, got a new (to me) rifle eating on me pretty good. I'm out of handles, too. Oh, well.

Hurricane
05-28-2015, 09:58 AM
kfd518,

The web site for all of the Ranch Dogs bullets, load data, and pressure information from the Ranch Dog is Ranch Dog Outdoors. Click on "Load Data" below the bullet for data you need.

Hurricane

kfd518
07-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Well gun nut here you go. Being my first time casting it took a bit to get mold up to temp and start throwing good bullets, I assume by the frost it was a bit warm but that was only way they would fill out for me but here you go sir.

Straight wheel weights, muffin pan ingots off fish dryer and new smelting pot from the kids, handles were Father's Day from children as well. Mold was Father's Day from wife. Old revere wear pot I had used to make oilskin wax in years ago repurposed for bullet casting. And my dads old colman white gasser.
. 143652143653
Just have to get some loaded up now and give em a run

kfd518
07-04-2015, 10:47 PM

See above post, reply didn't work right.

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Looking good! I see you got the HP thing figured out. Still haven't cast with mine, been a little crazy around here. Loading room off-limits to me for another week, at least.

kfd518
07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Looking good! I see you got the HP thing figured out. Still haven't cast with mine, been a little crazy around here. Loading room off-limits to me for another week, at least.

That bites. All my casting is obviously outside… wife LET me move all other loading stuff into our office/library/canned food storage and homeschool classroom so no longer have to fry or freeze in the shop to load. It helps that she likes to shoot too. Told her its to hot to be out there loading except pre sunrise she said I could move my stuff down heh heh.

On another note I can't get the bases to fill out square on the boolits for some reason
ive tried hotter I've re cleaned mold readjusted Sprue plate some gonna see if that helps any but think I'm going to wait to get a new ladle as well before I waste more time and fuel. Anywhere from 1/32-1/16 shoulder on most of these

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 11:35 PM
May help to loosen the sprue plate screw just a little as well. NOE's moulds and sprue plates are so smooth and straight that you may need to tweak that screw to allow proper venting. Could also be a tin deficiency but fill out looks pretty good elsewhere.
I hope if you use tumbling media for cleaning brass that you keep that out of your classroom.

kfd518
07-06-2015, 12:07 AM
All I have to tumble with is HF 3# rock tumbler… fill and empty outside on porch. thought about the tin as well dunno where I would be loosing it though. Going to give it one more try Tuesday with loosened Sprue plate before I go buy a ladle. Not a single well formed bullet has come out shiny though all have slight frost to them, no graininess like its superheated. Will figure it out eventually

YunGun
07-06-2015, 02:33 PM
I have the older (original?) design for that boolit (though mine wear gas checks) - Had similar problems with rounded or improperly-filled-out driving bands & bases that I just couldn't resolve until I tried pressure-casting. At that point, everything came together & I get nice crisp, sharp edges on driving bands & bases.

It sounds like you're using a ladle instead of a bottom-pour pot like my Lee, but you can still pressure cast with a ladle & that just might do the trick since everything else appears to be in order... I wish you the best of luck!

kfd518
07-06-2015, 03:08 PM
I have the older (original?) design for that boolit (though mine wear gas checks) - Had similar problems with rounded or improperly-filled-out driving bands & bases that I just couldn't resolve until I tried pressure-casting. At that point, everything came together & I get nice crisp, sharp edges on driving bands & bases.

It sounds like you're using a ladle instead of a bottom-pour pot like my Lee, but you can still pressure cast with a ladle & that just might do the trick since everything else appears to be in order... I wish you the best of luck!

Prob should have gone w gas checks too but I can have some fun as +/-1600 with it…
you air cool yours or water drop them? As said next project will be 32 caliber for
32 H&r and 32-20.

Edited for spelling

popper
07-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Use a knife or stone to remove the edge of the mould top so it vents around the sprue plate.
Then you can do this, 50 yds, ~ 1800 fps:

exile
03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Major thread hijack here: Has anyone tried this boolit in .300 blackout in HP form in an AR? Thanks.

exile