PDA

View Full Version : new pistol reloader...

dlbarr
05-17-2015, 11:13 PM
My son just bought a 9mm FNH. I only reload for rifles so far. So we need to get reloading supplies & equipment. I figure on LEE dies etc unless someone can talk me ought of it.

What boolit moulds?

What loads for practice & defensive purposes?

NC_JEFF
05-18-2015, 03:10 AM
I use 124gr Hornady XTP JHP in 9mm for a defense load and I practice with 115 gr cast boolits. My dies for the 9mm are Lee and I have no complaints. I have a lot of commercial cast on hand in 115gr rn and POI is more than close enough to make for good practice compared to the XTPs. I stick with the faster powders for cast, Bullseye/WW231 etc, Power Pistol makes a good hand loaded jacketed bullet.

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2015, 08:16 AM
I've been reloading 9mm for decades and it's one of my favorites.
As for powder, my all time favorite for 9mm is WSF. There are lots of powders that work but I always came back to WSF and eventually just stopped wandering around. Bullseye and WW231 work almost as well.
Others will disagree but I am NOT a big fan of heavy-for-caliber bullets and I stay in the 115-124 grain range for bullets. The 9mm is designed for those weights. The Lee truncated cone [TC] style bullet is an excellent mold. It not only shoots well but it feeds well too.

One word of caution with cast 9mm bullets; the groove diameter of 9mm pistols is all over the map. You need to size the bullet for the particular gun you will shoot it in for the best performance.

The 9mm is a high pressure cartridge and bullet seating depth is an important factor.

Good Luck !!

kungfustyle
05-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Nothing wrong with Lee dies. Go with NOE or Lyman on the molds. Powder Coat your bullets and you'll have a great day at the range and a better day at clean up. W/ powder coating all you need is the Lee size die. Pleanty of info on PC on this site and Smoke sells it on SS. 9's are easy to load for but do yourself a favor and seat then crimp. Some times you can bulge the case when you do both at the same time.

captaint
05-18-2015, 01:07 PM
MP molds makes a very nice 125 gr HP mold, in 4 cav, brass. NOE makes a very nice 135 grRNFP in 5 cav aluminum. Lee makes a few 9mm molds. One of the more popular is the 356-120 TC in 6 cav, if you like. They also make some round nose designs in the 125 gr neighborhood. For self defense purposes, I, personally would go with the NOE 135 gr RNFP. All of the mold makers have numerous designs for the 9mm. Look around. You'll likely end up with a few, anyway.

bedbugbilly
05-18-2015, 06:39 PM
I use the Lee 4 die set for reloading my 9mm - am very pleased with them and they work just dandy@ For boolits, I cast in a Lee 120 gr TC and a Lyman 358242 121 gr. RN. Both work very well.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-19-2015, 07:39 AM
I'm not going to say that Lee dies are bad but any new dies that i buy will be RCBS I have one 9mm mold a Lyman its in older one
358242 mine drops a 125 gr boolit size @ .358 for my 92fs

Petrol & Powder
05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm with Luckydawg13, I will not disparage Lee equipment, well maybe I will a little, but it's hard to go wrong with RCBS equipment.

I own and use a large assortment of reloading equipment and I have very little brand loyalty. Use what works for you.

Lee equipment is designed for a price point and there's nothing wrong with that. I have some Lee stuff but I generally prefer other brands for most of my gear. A lot of reloading equipment is a one time only expenditure.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get good gear but I do prefer to only buy it only once.