PDA

View Full Version : 45-90 Pedersoli Roller Question:

M71
05-17-2015, 11:20 AM
I currently have a Pedersoli "Super Match" in 45-70, excellent in all respects. I am considering ordering another one in 45-90. When I try to chamber a 45-90 brass in the 45-70 the hammer doesn't go back far enough for the case to clear it, even when pulling the hammer back farther than the cocked position. Does anyone know how the 45-90 Rolling Block design is altered to accept the longer 45-90 case? I'm hesitant to order one up without feeling confident that my barely seated 535 grain cartridge will clear the hammer. The gun will have to be special ordered so it's not like I could send the retailer a dummy round to make sure. I don't speak Italian either. Ha! I attempted to call "Cherry's" in North Carolina this past week with my query but they were out of the office. Thank you much. I may contact Lee Shaver for his take on this if no one here knows. Montana Charlie, I think you know about this.

Don McDowell
05-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Most rollers that have been built to handle the 45-90 have the hammer ground down to let the case clear.

M71
05-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Most rollers that have been built to handle the 45-90 have the hammer ground down to let the case clear.
Thanks Don, I'm aware of that. I'm just wondering what the factory design difference is. I'll post any findings. I'm not crazy about modifying the striker area of the hammer, even though that's the normal recourse.

M71
05-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Received the official reply from Italy via Kevin Cherry. I'm paraphrasing due to Pierangelo Pedersoli's somewhat broken English. "For the rolling block to properly chamber the 45-90 cartridge the highest part of the hammer is beveled. The beveled hammer has no problem striking the fireing pin even though the bevel strikes the superior part of the fireing pin and that they have made many 45-90's in this fashion." I received the reply very quickly, hats off for Mr. Cherry and Mr. Pedersoli.

country gent
05-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Most center hammer desighns have the hammer modifed or altered fro the longer cartridges. My C Sharps Hepburn in 45-90 just barley clears when loading. And if not cocked when cleaning rups and chews up the coating on my dewy cleaning rod. Its probably not a lot removed but it is how its done. 45-90 is a good cartridge and performs well for me. Is this to be a hunting gun or target rifle? I would recomend trying to keep the rifle wieght up over 11lbs with this cartridge if this is to be a traget rifle, the extra few pounds really help with dampening recoil. I shoot mine for BPCR Shillouettes and fun at local matches. Im currently using a 547 grn bullet in mine and its a hammer. The pedersolis are very good rifles thier barrels have a great reputation for being shooters and they are good looking rifles ussually. I have a pedersoli sharps from cabellas refused first one they brought out not for mechanical reasons or fit, but it had a long obvious scratch on buttstock that they wouldnt reduce price for. M71 I would also recomend if possible shooting a few rounds in a true 45-90 before purchasing if at all possible.

M71
05-18-2015, 04:01 PM
I'll use the paper patch adjustable Tom Ballard mold that you so graciously repaired for me sometime ago. It's currently throwing 532.9 gr. bullets with the 30-1 alloy I mix. The 'Super Match" roller from "Cherry's" shows a weight of 11 lbs. 9 oz. though my 45-70 twin seems heavier. I don't really feel the recoil with the 45-70 though the '90 will be more, however noticeable is yet to be seen. I briefly owned a Shiloh 45-90 carbine that was impossible to hang on to with the 530 gr. PP bullet. Surprise Surprise. Not really. That one had a head space problem and I returned it. I'm still just a recreational shooter. I'm all set up to load for the 45-90. Dies, brass, bullets already patched, just need to find the right gun. i like the Peddy roller wih the shotgun butt and pistol grip. Mine has the 34" 1/2 round heavy barrel. Cherry's next order will be the end July, right around Pedersoli's summer vacation shutdown. I haven't decided on the purchase yet but I'm actively watching "Gunbroker" and the "ArmsList". Dixie Gun Works has some nice ones too.

country gent
05-19-2015, 12:53 AM
Hows that mould doing? It was only about 20-30 mins with a small polished end punch and 3 ounce hammer to work those little dings raised metal back into place. I sat with them locked in the vise and magnifer in place worked all the metal back into place and got it to where a little rubbing with a pencil eraser they pretty much completly disappeared. Pedersolis are fine rifles buddy had a roller in 45-70 that had the stock with all the drop in it and wieghed 9-10 lbs beat the snot out of him with full loads. I enjoy my 45-90 will be shooting it in Sundays local match if I get ammo loaded. You might want to check Buffalo arms as they carry pedersoli also. That is a fine old mould and deserved to be brought back to life