PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP moulds

quietmike
03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
After a while of shooting only J-boolits through my Glock 30 I have decided the warnings are mostly lawyer talk and want to start casting for it.

I have been looking at the Lee TL452-230-2R mould and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it or could suggest other good moulds that would work in a Glock.

Sprue
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Thats what I use. (non glock owner) I would suggest a 6 cav mold.

trickyasafox
03-18-2008, 01:41 AM
I had that mold for a bit. Shoots well in a g21 and a 1911- no experience w/ it in a g30. its a good bullet. Sprue is right- get the 6cav.

My dad had a g30 for a while- I'd suggest staying away from the 200gr LSWC- never got those to run great in there.

quietmike
03-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, I ordered the 6 cavity. What do you think of tumble lubing? That will also be a first for me. Do you use LLA or something else?

Ricochet
03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't have a Glock. The tumble lube, truncated cone 230 grain works well in my Government Model. LLA's hard to beat as a tumble lube. I have used and sometimes do use other things like Johnson's Paste Wax, White Lightning bicycle chain lube and various homemade mixtures. A guy with a Glock reported that the White Lightning caused some sort of hard buildup in the front of his chambers, jamming his gun. I haven't yet encountered that.

trickyasafox
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Tumble lubing works well with some combinations, but really it'll depend on what your mold drops bullets at and your gun's chamber.

I couldn't even guess how close glocks run .451 or .452 - maybe someone else could get you in the ball park there. Oh make sure you order handles too! 6 cavs don't come with handles. they are 12-14 dollars a set I think.

ddeaton
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Dumb question from someone with same interest. This mold requires no sizing? If I was going to size and lube would I buy a different mold?

Ricochet
03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Often the tumble lube bullets do better with sizing, too. Tumble once, size, and tumble again is the way Lee recommends it, and it does work. I like their Carbide Factory Crimp Die for the .45. Some people vehemently dislike it. It sizes the case to maximum dimensions, and will size down the boolit inside if it's oversize enough to bulge the case.

ddeaton
03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Ok, another one. How do you tumble? Do you tumble just to lube the bullet? I am guessing then you size without lube?
Thanks for the fast answer. I am on Midway ordering the mold as I type.

IMR 45-70
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
ddeaton, i orderd the same type of mold and it came today. I cleaned it with Coleman fuel & smoked it real good. I cast 160 boolits with it from WW's, and they turned out great. Got em alox lubed & will size & re-lube tomorrow.
Hope yours works as well as mine does.

I'm hoping they'll shoot good out of my 1911!

Ricochet
03-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Boolits may be easy to size without lube, especially when the alloy's soft and they don't have to be sized down much. But if that's not the case, they definitely need to be lubed one way or another for sizing. Like I said above, Lee's recommended procedure is to lube, size, and lube again. I've used liquid soap such as Murphy's Oil Soap as a sizing lube when I wanted to remove it for something like heat treating after sizing, but otherwise Lee's protocol works great. Boolits don't always need sizing. If they'll easily seat in your sized brass, and the resulting cartridges chamber easily, you're good to go.

454PB
03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
A suggestion for you guys that size and tumble lube:

Use some lubricant other than LLA for sizing. Any of the spray on resizing lubes will work, dish soap diluted in water, even rolling them on a lube pad. You only need to lube every third or fourth boolit. After they are sized, use the LLA as instructed. This saves you a day of waiting, and you can stretch the LLA out to do more boolits.

454PB
03-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I was typing at the same time as ricochet.....