PDA

View Full Version : New Mossberg 30/30 LA rifle

Johnch
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I was waiting to talk to the gunshop owner about a part
So I picked up a Mossberg catalog and started to read about the new LA rifle they are coming out with in 30/30

http://www.mossberg.com/

At first glance it dosn't look bad
But the 10" twist
I was wondering if that would be to fast for good cast shooting

I was just thinking
I am without a LA 30/30 for the first time in 25+ years ,as I sold the Winchester to someone that JUST had to have a Winchester
Almost glad to move it
As I could never get it to realy shoot cast well

Now I have to decide weather to order a Marlin ......Witch one ????
Or wait a little and see how a Mossberg shoots

Anyone see one at the Shot Show ?

JOhn

S.R.Custom
03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
My gunsmith buddy saw one at the ShotShow. He doesn't like to talk bad about anyone, "But I will say this," he said. "I was not impressed."

I would take that to mean that it's a Model 94 knock-off built to the same quality standard as their shotguns. Which, considering the level of quality that was coming out of New Haven there towards the end, may not be bad thing.

I'd wait to see one first-hand before I ordered one.

corvette8n
03-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Henry is also supposed to have a 30-30
not sure how the pricing stacks up to Mossberg.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h009_3030.cfm

I have a Henry .22 lever and the thing eats anything for ammo and the action is slicker than snot.

6pt-sika
03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I have never been a Mossberg person , so you might say I am biased . To me from just looking at the picture it looks like a Winchester 94 knockoff !

But with that being said I never owned a Marlin until 2000 or a 30-30 for that matter .

The Henry has never impressed me either and lord knows I have handled a bunch of them .

So in my "biased" opinion I would say get a Marlin !

Johnch
03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I had a Henery in my hands at a Dealer product show

IMO built like a 2x4
Probely completely functional

But it just felt clunky

I probely will save a few $ and order a Marlin

John

pumpguy
03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Marlin, Marlin Marlin!!!!

DLCTEX
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Anyone seen a MSRP? DALE

spurrit
03-19-2008, 12:24 AM
My Henry H001 is a billetproof tack driver, but my overall opinion of them is that they are made as cheaply as possible. Fit and finish sucks, and the designing must all take place on a computer. Their levers are about as attractive as a plainold 2X4.