PDA

View Full Version : Need a Rear Sight Assembly for a S&W Model 29. Are They Available?

Hanzy4200
05-16-2015, 09:35 PM
I've been bitten by the magnum bug. I picked up a GP100 a couple months ago and it's been a blast cranking it up to full throttle. Now it's time to move up.

I recently mentioned wanting to get a .44 mag. to my range master who also happens to by my local gun club president. He offered me a Model 29 for $500 cash. I have not seen it, but he said it is blued, 6 inch barrel with wood grips. I know nothing more about the gun. He bought it years ago from a friend needing cash and has never fired it. The odd part, is he said it comes with a scope affixed and has no rear sight. I don't mind getting the scope at all, but would like to start with the basics. Firstly, is this a great deal? From what I can gather it seems like it. Also, I have been trying to find a rear sight assembly and have not been able to locate any online. Are they available?

wv109323
05-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Have you tried fleabay? They were all over it the last time I looked. $500 bucks is a more than fair price in today's market if it is in good condition.

Artful
05-16-2015, 10:32 PM
good price for what your getting
Any N frame sight should fit provided the blade is a match for your front sight.
http://bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/smith_&_wesson_height_chart.html

evilbay of course has some listed

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/sight-assembly-rear-146-n-s-black-4-6-barrel-prod14739.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/550865/smith-and-wesson-rear-sight-assembly-136-black-k-l-n-frame?cm_vc=ProductFinding

MtGun44
05-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Brownells.

Mal Paso
05-17-2015, 02:29 PM
I love my Bowen Rough Country rear sight (on a 6" 629). Matt black it tilts back for good contrast. Windage is locked at adjustment. 25 yards is a couple clicks up from locked elevation. Easy to find elevation but I could shoot fine from locked.

There were a couple odd sight tang configurations but I don't think on the 6 inch.

Cylinder and Slide fiber optic "Improved Ramp" front sight. Not quite a Patridge Sight there is enough angle to clear leather but much more contrast than a red ramp sight.

I had an Ultra Dot on the 629 so I could shoot any color of Sillywet. Forgot how much I like my Iron Sights.

Artful
05-17-2015, 02:50 PM
You got the square
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/315/315528.jpg
and you got the rounded on the S&W rear sight spring leaf.
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_940000542_2.jpg

Only other difference I can thank of is that the 10 5/8” barrel model 29 Silhouette used the tallest rear sight blade that I am aware of S&W ever making, 0.222”.

Longer barrels ordinarily require a higher rear sight.
Additionally the 10 5/8” Silhouette revolvers had a front sight that could be shifted between different yardages. Other than that the blade the rear sight is pretty common.

9.3X62AL
05-17-2015, 03:26 PM
I sure wish the Millett aftermarket rear sights for S&W revolvers were still in production. I sold and installed a boatload of those units when I had my FFL. A quality item at a reasonable price.

I concur with Brownell's as best-first vendor to check with for an OEM sight assembly. Don't forget to also obtain the front/mounting screw AND the T-head sliding screw to mate with the elevation screwhead (actually a slotted nut within the sight). The mounting hardware tends to get tossed and lost when scopes get mounted.

revolvergeek
05-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Older square base sights can be extremely hard to find. I have been hunting one for some time with no luck.

Joni Lynn
05-17-2015, 09:26 PM
On the modern model 29/629 there are three versions. The square and the round. (lol) The round is seen in two versions, the one they make now and the one that was only on the 29-5 and 629-3 that has a round front but is longer than the one made now and uses a small screw like the old square ones did. That one can be made from a square one if need be.
Good luck.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Try The Gun Parts Corp, West Hurley N.Y. (formerly Numerich) They have diagrams, parts and prices all on line. Last catalog I had from them had everything for the S&W M29. LLS

Hanzy4200
05-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Looks like lots of good leads. My main concern, is my lack of details about the gun. I have no idea of it's age or variation. I am very new to revolvers and the little experience I have is with Taurus and Ruger. Like Revolvergeek mentioned, I just don't want to end up with "that" model with unobtainable parts. The seller said the gun is in great condition, and I trust him. He made it obvious that this was a friend price. He can also do the FFL transfer, which saves me a few more bucks.

revolvergeek
05-18-2015, 09:39 AM
It isn't so much an issue of a particular model, but rather that all older forged steel / pre-mim n-frame parts are getting scarce. I bought a n-frame hammer from Numrich recently for $65 and it looked like it had been salvaged from the bottom of the sea (covered with rust and pits and no visible case hardening colors left).

Model 29s are great guns and I don't mean to discourage you from buying it. I just wanted to make you aware that you may be in for a long hunt for a correct original. That said, you can have a gunsmith drill and tap a different hole in the top strap and use one of the current production rear sights worst case. It won't look 'correct' but it is a functional option.

Hanzy4200
05-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I feel good about the buy, I just don't want to spend lots of time and money getting it how I want it. If that were the case, I would rather just pony up and buy a complete one elsewhere. On the other hand, the included scope is probably a quality one, and it is probably worth a good deal more than the replacement sight. I'll keep you posted.

Joni Lynn
05-18-2015, 06:00 PM
If you can get the number that goes after the 29-? someone here can advise you which sight is appropriate. The number needed will be found on the frame and is revealed when the cylinder is opened. It'll be on the side of the frame opposite the yoke. There will probably be two different stampings, one is an assembly number of little or no consequence and the 29-x.

shorty500M
05-18-2015, 06:49 PM
In the bad case scenerio that you cant get what it needs to be original- the N-frames of older versions CAN BE DRILLED AND TAPPED TO USE THE LATEST MODEL REAR SIGHT IN MY EXPERIENCE! due to S&W not drilling the tiny hole in old model sights but selling a fit-all with NO HOLE this is my prefered choice

Hanzy4200
05-23-2015, 10:30 PM
I got it! WOW is all I can say. It is a 29-3 with 8 3/8" barrel and original wood grips. He said he was giving me a deal, and he wasn't lying. It is in immaculate condition with only a speck of bluing worn at the muzzle. He graded it about a 95%. As if that wasn't enough, it came with a Leupold M8-4X scope worth approx. $295 alone. AND a set of RCBS dies. $515 out the door.

I couldn't bear to wait for my mold and accessories to arrive from Midway, so I grabbed a box of American Eagle 240 gr. JHP's. I was waiting for that wrist breaking recoil described by many, but was pleasantly surprised. It definitely has some horsepower, but nothing unmanageable. The trigger breaks like glass.

140276 140277140278
You know that "Christmas Morning" feeling you get as a kid, and can never re-live? I have it.

Joni Lynn
05-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Very very nice. The rear sight needed is the one with the small screw to hold it down and the square front. If Brownell's and Midway can't help, call S&W and ask them.
It looks like a Leupold mount as well which means it probably has the three identical sized holes drilled in the top strap. Any sight will probably fit if you can't find the right one. If you find a sight, it needs to have the small front screw to hold it on.
Great deal!!!

Hanzy4200
05-24-2015, 12:17 AM
That's great. You sure know you're stuff. Thank you very much for all the information.

Petrol & Powder
05-24-2015, 03:34 PM
You got a very good deal !
Nice gun