PDA

View Full Version : H&G 258 clone

AggiePharmD
05-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Anybody currently producing a clone for this Keith 41 bullet? TIA

bhn22
05-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Try Ballisticast, they purchased the H&G designs when H&G closed up shop. Not to sound catty, but I think they're still alive and kicking: http://www.ballisti-cast.com/

AggiePharmD
05-16-2015, 09:27 PM
I did indeed find them however assuming you need specific handles you're looking at $200 to you're door I believe.

superdan
05-16-2015, 10:51 PM
It's not exactly a copy but NOE made a very similar Keith style SWC recently. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=ba2hrouolrje4qu3r3hqnm6634

bhn22
05-16-2015, 11:25 PM
I did indeed find them however assuming you need specific handles you're looking at $200 to you're door I believe.

Lymans 41 "Keith" mould was designed, and produced without Elmers knowledge or approval. After he cooled down a bit, he approached H&G about making a 41 bullet mould to his specifications. You probably already know this, since you're specifically looking for the 258, but I thought I'd mention it in case others didn't have this information. Lymans version is significantly different from H&Gs, although some have reported success with it.

And yes, Ballisticast can be very expensive.

captaint
05-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, RCBS makes a 41 Keith design, and MP molds makes a very nice 4 cav, in HP if you like. Doubtless, the NOE is a fine mold.

GLL
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
I always head to Accurate Molds when I have a mold request like this .
Tom can have it in your hands next week and it will be to your exact specs ! :)

Jerry

huntrick64
05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
I got mine from Miha (MP Molds) in 4 cavity brass and it is a 258 clone. It is one of the nicest molds I own, but took quite a while to get it.

I had Tom at Accurate Molds make my last mold for me and that is where I will go next time. It was exactly what I ordered, it casts perfect boolits, and I had it in just a few days. All for a price that was more than fair.

AggiePharmD
05-19-2015, 04:13 PM
I always head to Accurate Molds when I have a mold request like this .
Tom can have it in your hands next week and it will be to your exact specs ! :)

Jerry

I don't know squat about custom moulds. Guess I could read up and piece specs together. I've found a few articles delving into exactly what makes a Keith bullet a Keith.

bhn22
05-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Firstly, it has to be designed by Elmer Keith, not Lyman. Elmer didn't have one set of specifications that was used for all calibers. The specs were adjusted to the exact caliber. That's why there are two different 45 caliber Keith moulds for example.

AggiePharmD
05-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Firstly, it has to be designed by Elmer Keith, not Lyman. Elmer didn't have one set of specifications that was used for all calibers. The specs were adjusted to the exact caliber. That's why there are two different 45 caliber Keith moulds for example.

Very true. All were different but shared similar characteristics I believe. Most notably I think we're that all driving bands were the same width and all grease grooves were "flat-bottomed" versus rounded. Tom has a few examples that are fairly close most notably the 41-220K except the middle band doesn't look to be as thick as the other two which are 0.100". The meplat looks to be 0.3" which I think is a bit wider than Keith ' s original the best I can determine.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-220K-D.png

AggiePharmD
05-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Emailed Tom at Accurate and after a bit of correspondence with him explaining that his 41-220K was his version of the 258 and why the dimensions are as they are, I've decided to go that route. Picking up a set of small hole gauges to measure my chamber throats for proper sizing and will place an order for a double cavity in brass soon.

Irascible
05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
My RCBS and my Ballisticast are both very good moulds. The Ballisticast has the edge on accuracy the RCBS with its larger meplat is my go to hunting bullet. Ballisticast, however are having real difficulties. It is now over 2 years since I paid in full for a 358249 copy and they still won't answer my Emails.