PDA

View Full Version : can primer pockets be tightend?

ddykstra
05-16-2015, 08:32 PM
have some federal 6mm brass.cant find any more any where.need some good american ingenuity.

kenyerian
05-16-2015, 09:05 PM
http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=dhb%2Df%2Dswage%2Dlg http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=dhb%2Df%2Dswage%2Dsm RW Hart makes what they call a case saver. I have never used one but it looks like it might help you out.

azrednek
05-16-2015, 09:31 PM
I can speak with second hand knowledge. I believe it is the same tool a shooting bud used to tighten up primer pockets on a bad batch of 308 Norma brass I bought new in the box at a gun show. I didn't see him use it or did I see the tool. I can only speculate it is the same but what ever he did or used, it worked.

Previously I seated the primers in the loose pockets using Lock-Tite. Primers stayed in place and did not back-out after shooting. Although the Lock-Tite kept the primers in place. It was a king sized PITA de-priming as I had to heat the primer pockets up with a candle on my bench to soften the Lock-Tite. If not soft the decapper pin simply punched through the expended primer or bent the pin on my early 70's RCBS die. Didn't click in my slow brain to use my Lee Universal Decapper until I bent the second pin.

After I belly-ached to my friend about getting ripped off on the Norma brass. He told me he had a tool he bought on Ebay he used to tighten the primer pockets on some Korean 06.

gloob
05-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Ever try Wolf/Tulammo primers? Their LPP are definitely larger than the norm. Never tried their LRP.

KLR
05-16-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm playing with converting some mil 308 to 35 Rem. The primer pockets are slightly loose so I push them through a modified 30-06 die. I ground the die to make a sizer to squeeze them down about .003" at the base. Primer pockets now are perfect.

Another idea I had was to use a Lee Factory Crimp die for a 444 Marlin and rig it to squeeze down the rim of the cartridge. I had one backordered but cancelled my order when the modified 30-06 die worked great.

sdcitizen
05-16-2015, 10:46 PM
I made a swaging punch to shrink .217 berdan primers down to .205, then formed to size with an rcbs pocket swager. Works great for loose pockets as well.