PDA

View Full Version : removing surface rust w/o hurting bluing

minmax
05-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Looking for the best solution/formula that works, without removing bluing or changing the color of the metal.
In the past I've used navel jelly. CLR - calcium,lime and rust. rustoleum brand etc...with so so results.
I've heard evapro-rust works great, however I can only find it in 1 gal. size. Unless I order it of the internet.

MtGun44
05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
0000 steel wool and G96 is the best I have found. 0000 and Hoppes is
good, but not quite as good as G96 for some unknown reason. Moderately
hard scrubbing with 0000 steel wool never has harmed bluing for me.

IME, all the chemical cleaners take off the blueing, usually instantly,
because - basically- bluing is fancy, controlled and stabilized rust. Look
up "slow rust bluing" process if you doubt this.

So- 0000 steel wool, G96 and elbow grease will be your best friend.

wddodge
05-16-2015, 04:08 PM
I've used this for years.

http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/

Denny

pworley1
05-16-2015, 08:32 PM
I use 0000 steel wool and Ed's Red.

Bullwolf
05-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Ive used Flitz Metal Polish (Blue metal, Plastic and Fiberglass polish paste) before on some light rust on a blued revolver cylinder. I've also have used it on a Blued Colt 1911 Slide. It's popular for knives as well.

It's advertised as being able to clean factory hot gun bluing.

A concentrated cream that is unsurpassed in its ability to clean, polish, deoxidizes and protect. This product works faster and easier. This can be used on: brass, copper, silver plate, sterling silver, chrome, stainless steel, nickel, bronze, solid gold, aluminum, anodized aluminum, beryllium, magnesium, platinum, pewter, factory hot gun bluing, painted surfaces, formica, cultured marble, corian, glass, plexiglas, plastics, fiberglass, eisenglass, and armatel. This helps to remove tarnish, rust, water stains, chalking, lime deposits, heat discoloration, lead and powder residue, oxidation, bugs, tar, oil, fingerprints, tree sap, bird droppings, graffiti, dyes, black streaks and scuff marks. This is USDA authorized and non-toxic.

http://www.amazon.com/Flitz-BU-03515-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B001447VB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431824827&sr=8-1&keywords=flitz
http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/image/products/magnified/155568_155597.jpg

I remember the gentleman who first turned me on to Flitz told me that it wont remove gun bluing.

A friend of mine who owned a nicely blued Taurus 85 revolver in 38 Special, had some light rusting on the cylinder from carrying close to his body.

I managed to remove the rust, leaving behind some very light pitting, and the blued finish as well with a dab of Flitz on a cotton towel, and some light finger pressure. After that I went after the spot with some G96 on a patch. I love the cinnamon smell of G96!

Dunno if Flitz is "safe" for all blued finishes, but it's worked well for me a couple of times anyways. Always be sure when trying something like this out for the first time, to do it in an area that doesn't show - Like underneath a grip panel.

- Bullwolf

retread
05-16-2015, 09:40 PM
I use bronze wool for Amazon. Lubricate with WD-40, Kerosene or diesel and it will take the rust without harming the bluing like steel wool does.

gunshot98
05-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Evaporust will take the bluing OFF. Wonderful product but it takes it right off. I'd go with the 0000 steelwool and Ed's Red. I bought a wire wheel that goes on my bench grinder from Brownells, and it's made to card off rust. It work's very well. Hope this helps.

MtGun44
05-17-2015, 12:15 PM
I should clarify that if you rub long enough and hard enough, you can start
to thin the bluing with 0000 steel wool. Gentle rubbing, minimum usage will
get the rust and you will not notice any blue damage.

mdi
05-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Brake fluid is reportedly good for removing rust...

lightload
05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Ditto about Evaporust removing bluing. For non blued surfaces I have found it be outstanding.

Kroil products work well for me in removing rust from guns when used with 0000 steel wool. I'm sure that everybody knows that a copper penny is safe for gentle scraping.

shooter93
05-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Blue Magic.