PDA

View Full Version : Blimey! (Atlanta Cutlery Martini)

Bigslug
05-16-2015, 12:47 PM
If you pay their hand-select fee, it seems that they will take care of you!

My dad continues to enjoy his retirement. We spent yesterday's rainy afternoon at the loading bench on his back porch waiting for "Peachy" to arrive (Danny never left Nepal. Peachy managed to get out, but was never quite the same as when he left England:lol:). Pictured with my .32-20 Aussie Cadet "Binky Roo" for no good reason other than to have a neat "father and son" photo.

Dad's instructions for selection were for a Mk.II or Mk.III to be used as a shooter; go ahead and wipe it off to check condition, but don't do any sanding, serious cleaning, etc... What arrived was an 1876-dated BSA Mk. II.2 with a GREAT bore (uniformly mildly frosted) in the original barrel (matches the receiver numbers). Slugged it out at a very tight and uniform .457" as best I can tell - the seven groove Henry pattern doesn't totally jive with either the three or five flute mic). Forend in GREAT shape. Buttstock very nice, but probably sanded at some point, as it's a little smaller than the buttplate, and the original cartouche barely visible and accompanied with other (Nepalese?) markings. There was some heavy pitting on the barrel along the stockline that had been cleaned out and reblued at some point in it's life. Frankengun on the various small parts, and what I'm guessing to be Nepalese proofs tagged on along with the British. All in all, it took about four hours of the two of us cleaning off mild surface oxidation, grease, and assorted Himalayan goo to get it ready to rock. Looks like this should be a great shooter. . .just as soon as we get and organize all the hoopla to turn 24 gauge shotgun shells into .577/.450 hulls. . .The irony is amusing me greatly. . .these Martinis are probably the fastest of the single shots to shoot, reload, and shoot again, but we're going to be too paranoid about losing or damaging the cases to exploit that. I can just see Chard and Bromhead holding Rorke's Drift, assegais flying past their heads, giving the orders "FRONT RANK: FIRE!. . . SECOND RANK: PICK UP THEIR PAINSTAKINGLY FORMED BRASS!!!":veryconfu

I think we'll probably tune one of Dad's variable paper patch buffalo molds to approximate the service weight and let fly - though we've got plenty of greaser options to fiddle with. . .

If you've never handled or torn one of these down. . .this is a seriously beefy and well conceived Weapon of War. This rifle came along at the tail end of 300 years of Imperial skull-cracking, and the experience shows. Considering how the Brits fought with them, this is one of the better balanced rifles for offhand shooting I've ever picked up, and it would clearly make a dandy club or pike handle. Bayonet en route - curious to see if it shoots closer to center with or without it.

If this one is any indicator, it seems that whoever was in charge of the Nepalese mothballing back in the day had at least some concept of long-term storage - or at least some of the folks involved in the process did. Even several years on, they've still got good ones. If you've got the itch, by all means SCRATCH!

pworley1
05-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Nice looking Martinis

Bigslug
05-19-2015, 12:47 AM
The Hammer and Tack Hammer of Thor. Cast up a bunch for both Martinis yesterday. Set the variable P.P. mold to 480-ish grains and got rolling with the regulation 12-1. The little guy is great for smacking golf balls around the range; the big fella. . .I'm thinking not so much.

acmech
05-19-2015, 08:13 AM
The bore of the 577/450 Martini should slug at .468. Using a regular caliper, rotate the slug between the caliper jaws. Do to the Henry rifling, thats the only good way to mic it. I have 2 MKIV's and 1 MKII and all three slug at .468. All three are from the Nepal cache and are a joy to shoot. I think your going to be very happy with it.

I got an extra lee sizing die and opened it up so I could form the cases easier by doing it in two steps. I also opened up the neck of the sizing die .010 to help lengthen the life of the cases. The lee die intends for you to use a .455 or .458 dia. bullet (can't remember). Anyhow, the original round was .468, and I made a mold that casts a really nice .470 bullet and using wheel weights I get great accuracy out of it.

Bigslug
05-19-2015, 09:21 AM
The bore of the 577/450 Martini should slug at .468. Using a regular caliper, rotate the slug between the caliper jaws. Do to the Henry rifling, thats the only good way to mic it.

This we shall do. I've been doing a little head-scratching on that topic because while yours and other data indicates this larger diameter, the 20-1 bullet we used to slug it was out of a mold for our usual American .458-ish bores and it was TIGHT (REALLY tight) starting in the muzzle and TIGHT almost all the way down.

I'll have to do some additional digging (perhaps some helpful member will chime in) into what the diameter of the British bullets was, and what they patched them up to. Is it possible that we have truth in advertising and they used a .450" bullet as the cartridge nomenclature actually describes it as? Might this also have some bearing on the origin of the .470 Nitro Express, as the Brits were already used to making barrels of that approximate diameter? (Much like the .30-40 Krag is responsible for the origin of all our .308 caliber cartridges.)

Bigslug
05-19-2015, 11:28 PM
The bore of the 577/450 Martini should slug at .468. Using a regular caliper, rotate the slug between the caliper jaws.

Update: Looks like this one's .458"-.462" measuring that way. Dad got to paper patching some of the photon torpedoes today (which are .442" out of the mold), with a couple different paper types and sent me the following notes regarding muzzle fit:

.449 - loose in bore
.450 - loose in bore but making some contact.
.452 - very snug slip fit.
.454 - sticks in bore @ .30" back from muzzle.
.461 - sticks in bore @ .245" back from muzzle.

So in this instance anyway, figure a bore of .451-.453 and a groove of .460-ish. At which point we must hit pause for a while pending arrival of brass and dies.:sad: