PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 sizer/lube question.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-16-2015, 10:14 AM
My old Lyman 450 sizer/lube is painted gray and does not look as beefy as the ones painted orange. Did the gray ones proceed the orange ones, or was it just the opposite? I bought it new in the early to mid 80's. I never saw an orange one until I found them on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

AntiqueSledMan
05-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Yes, the Orange ones are later as is the 4500. There is an upgrade kit for the 450, a new style handle & linkage. Only issues I ever had with my 450 was the push-nuts falling off the pins & linkage bars dropping off. I installed shoulder bolts with nylock nuts and have never had another problem.

AntiqueSledMan

dubber123
05-16-2015, 10:56 AM
The gray ones with the metal strap looking handle with the grip that looks like it came off an old kids bicycle are the older ones. I also much prefer them. Most if not all of the orange colored ones have cast handles and linkage parts, that while appearing beefier, are weaker in my experience. I broke the handle off my new orange one on the first pull on a .476" boolit, fixed that, (Mig welder), 2nd pull broke a cast linkage piece. I fixed that by replacing it with a steel one. I then bought a couple of the old gray ones and have preferred them since.