PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tek P-11 in 9mm

Ben
03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Kel-Tek P-11 in 9mm. I have a real good friend that is about to buy one of these. What do you know about these pistols ? ? ?

Thanks,
Ben

MtGun44
03-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I have a friend that had one. It was reliable. He said recently when I asked
him the same question (thinking of single stack version for wife's CCW) -
"I normally never sell guns, in this case I made an exception" - He says
the recoil was brutal. FWIW - I've never shot one, but I do shoot my 329,
so must be pretty crazy.

Bill

Ben
03-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Bill

jhrosier
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I had one. It worked well but would not tolerate limp wristing.
Recoil was snappy, not brutal.
The trigger pull was heavy.
Not a target gun or fun plinker but it fit nice in a pocket.
It will use S&W hi-cap mags if you need some extra firepower.
Replaced it with a S&W M640 when I got rid of all my plastic guns.
Figured that 5 rounds of .357 is just as good as 10 rounds of 9mm.

Jack

Charley
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I've owned and carried one for about six years now.

+ lightweight
+reliable
+rated for +P ammuntion (not continuous use, though)
+12 round magazines are available now from KT.
+belt clip allows carry without the bulk of a holster.

-Recoil is snappy
-loooong DA only triggerpull (can learn to live with it!)
-pins and screws holding the belt clip tend to loosen after a couple of magazines (not really a probelm on a carry gun, you'll either win or lose before they loosen in real life)

To sum up, it isn't a "fun gun" you shoot for pleasure. ,I carry mine when I need a very light, compact handgun, and my Para is too bulky for the clothing I am wearing. Call it my dress clothes gun.

Ben
03-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all these comments fellows, I'll pass this own to my friend who is the potential buyer of this pistol.

Best,

Ben

imashooter2
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I'll add a +1 to Charley's story, almost identical to mine except for me the P-11 is my primary carry gun. A dab of blue loctite fixes those belt clip screws. The belt clip is very stable when worn on a leather belt. I was concerned the gun would move around a lot, but it doesn't. Mine has never failed to go bang in several thousand rounds.

Downsides... Long trigger pull. My trigger guard had a casting line on the inside that rubbed my finger raw. I took an emery board to it and that problem was solved. Recoil is smart but manageable. No way around that if you are going to shoot a full power cartridge in a lightweight gun.

As stated above, not a fun gun, but a carry piece of reasonable power that doesn't take much compromise to carry every day. Something you'll have on you when the Government Model and the 629 are sitting home in the safe.

Ben
03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
imashooter2 :

Many thanks for your input, I'll pass this along to the buyer.

Best,
Ben