PDA

View Full Version : last mold i ever buy off ebay!!

xd45forever
05-15-2015, 09:44 PM
I bought what was supposed to be a 452374 on ebay the pics were a little blurred but it looked clean and the pic of the box read 452374. After 2 weeks it finally got here and the mold looked great except the mold was a 452484 A right box wrong mold!! anyone know anything about the 484 A ? I cant find it in the catalog

Bohica793
05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Appears to be a 225gr RN GC mold -- basically a GC version of the 452374.

possom813
05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22976-Lyman-452484-45-caliber-mold

Read the 2nd post

Yodogsandman
05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
If the seller misrepresented the mold, report it, return it and get your money back.

A quick search shows that the only difference is that the 452484 is a gas check design as opposed to the flat base of the 452374.

xd45forever
05-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanx guys i have sent the seller an email if he doesn't reply I'm contacting ebay just a giant PITA!!!!

kungfustyle
05-15-2015, 11:29 PM
If the seller did the bad. E-bay will make it wright. May take a bit but they will. Keep your e-mails and notes.

dubber123
05-16-2015, 07:05 AM
It's a more valuable mold. The 374 is a pretty common mold, I'm sure you could sell or trade your GC mold for one. My brother was mad that an Ebay seller shipped him a 311041 instead of the common wadcutter mold he won for $10, until I pointed out he got a much more sought after mold.. :)

Beagle333
05-16-2015, 07:48 AM
I agree. You should definitely stay away from Ebay. Tell your friends to, as well. Nobody should ever look at/for molds there!!!! Ebay is the devil!!! :twisted:

('have happily bought dozens off there and don't need more competition.)8-)

bhn22
05-16-2015, 09:43 AM
As mentioned, the mould you received is more desireable to many. You could probably sell it for a small profit, or find somebody here to trade you for a plainbase version.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-16-2015, 10:41 AM
+1 on selling it for more $$$$. 460 Rowand shooters out there would probably pay good money for this mold...or any other high pressure/velocity .452 shootin' auto loaders.

carbine86
05-16-2015, 10:56 AM
If you are looking for the 374 I have one. Just pm me.

gwpercle
05-16-2015, 01:31 PM
You just might want to hang onto that 452484 design....I paid a good bit extra to get one, they are not near as common as the plain based mold. Try it without a check and see how it shoots. You just may have gotten an unintended deal on this one.
Gary

xd45forever
05-16-2015, 10:41 PM
I never considered that it might be more valuable than the 374. I cast a few with it tonite,its a little sticky but it makes a nice boolit!

fredj338
05-17-2015, 04:36 AM
I personally don't get buying on eBay, yes I've done it. Often over priced & you can order an identical design from accurate, probably cheaper, & get the exact size you want vs a maybe the right size. As far as value as collectable, it's only worth what someone will pay, pass.

Sekatoa
05-17-2015, 12:35 PM
How many cavities? I might be interested. I've been looking for one. I have a one cavity, but haven't tried it yet.

bedbugbilly
05-20-2015, 06:42 PM
I have bought and sold on flea bay for years. I have also purchased probably 25 to 30 molds on there . . . and so far . . . have never had a lemon or a problem. I have even purchased several vintage Ideal sets of blocks that looked a little "rough" and gambled on them - they cast just fine. And, I have always purchased at what I consider a "fair" price or lower. If it goes too high, I'll pass as sooner or later another one will come along.

But . . WHAT DOES IRRITATE the **** out of me are those sellers who put an item up and don't give "clear" photos . . . or don't list the mold numbers in the title . . . or don't list the mold numbers in their description . . . especially since they are on the blocks such as most makes. The "I don't know anything about bullet molds" doesn't cut it . . . at least put the numbers on the blocks and any other information you have in your description. When you put up an auction, you have the opportunity to "review" it before posting . . . or . . you can edit it. It doesn't take much gray matter to see that your photo is not clear . . . . sometimes, it's ignorance . . . usually its laziness or an attempt at deception. Just like the clown who was selling molds . . . his photos showed a number of molds side by side . . .which usually leads a person to believe the auction is for a "lot" of molds . . . only to eventually find it buried in the description that you are bidding on "one" set of mold blocks. C'mon . . . it's called "photo editing" and cropping is pretty easy to do to show "exactly" what is being sold . . . .

retread
05-20-2015, 07:24 PM
I have bought and sold on flea bay for years. I have also purchased probably 25 to 30 molds on there . . . and so far . . . have never had a lemon or a problem. I have even purchased several vintage Ideal sets of blocks that looked a little "rough" and gambled on them - they cast just fine. And, I have always purchased at what I consider a "fair" price or lower. If it goes too high, I'll pass as sooner or later another one will come along.

But . . WHAT DOES IRRITATE the **** out of me are those sellers who put an item up and don't give "clear" photos . . . or don't list the mold numbers in the title . . . or don't list the mold numbers in their description . . . especially since they are on the blocks such as most makes. The "I don't know anything about bullet molds" doesn't cut it . . . at least put the numbers on the blocks and any other information you have in your description. When you put up an auction, you have the opportunity to "review" it before posting . . . or . . you can edit it. It doesn't take much gray matter to see that your photo is not clear . . . . sometimes, it's ignorance . . . usually its laziness or an attempt at deception. Just like the clown who was selling molds . . . his photos showed a number of molds side by side . . .which usually leads a person to believe the auction is for a "lot" of molds . . . only to eventually find it buried in the description that you are bidding on "one" set of mold blocks. C'mon . . . it's called "photo editing" and cropping is pretty easy to do to show "exactly" what is being sold . . . .

I too find the "apparent set" an annoying deception at best.

Good Cheer
05-20-2015, 08:32 PM
I bought what was supposed to be a 452374 on ebay the pics were a little blurred but it looked clean and the pic of the box read 452374. After 2 weeks it finally got here and the mold looked great except the mold was a 452484 A right box wrong mold!! anyone know anything about the 484 A ? I cant find it in the catalog

Here's mine. I like it a lot. Have had a bunch of those brass Ideal gas checks for decades and now can use them up.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/mysterymetal_zpsb27efe0f.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/mysterymetal_zpsb27efe0f.jpg.html)

GONRA
02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
GONRA finds Lyman 452484 great for .45 ACP in Thompson SMG.

Also can be completely swaged / reshaped in an olde CH Swag-O-Matic press (home made dies)
into a really deep hollow point. Gas check prevents the base from blowing out.

gwpercle
02-14-2016, 06:51 PM
When buying off the bay , fuzzy blurred photo's are a tip off that something may be up.
When in doubt, ask the seller every question you need answered. If the answers don't clear questions...pass.

I've managed to pick up a lot of nice discontinued moulds , but you got to watch what you're buying and how much you pay. For every mould I bought 15 moulds were bid on and lost to others bidding foolish amounts of money. I had to stop watching....I was getting a mould habit going . Just how many moulds does one guy need !
Gary

Uncle R.
02-14-2016, 07:20 PM
When buying off the bay , fuzzy blurred photo's are a tip off that something may be up.
When in doubt, ask the seller every question you need answered. If the answers don't clear questions...pass.
<SNIP>
Gary

Yep.
Even worse are the listings with a couple of blurry pictures and a description that says "See the pictures, they are part of the description."

A bullet mould that's been heavily rusted, sandblasted or wire brushed is probably damaged, and you can't tell from blurred pictures. I've seen moulds offered as "excellent condition" that were obviously far less than excellent. Sometimes it's ignorance, but I suspect a lot of times it's deliberate deception.

That said, I've gotten some great bargains on eBay moulds. You just have to be cautious about what you bid on, and how much you bid.

Uncle R.

FISH4BUGS
02-14-2016, 08:25 PM
For every mould I bought 15 moulds were bid on and lost to others bidding foolish amounts of money. I had to stop watching....I was getting a mould habit going . Just how many moulds does one guy need !
Gary
NEED? or WANT? I have gotten the Hensley & Gibbs habit. (Thanks Tom) I use most of mine but I still like ones in great shape even if I don't have a gun for it.
Yup....I bought moulds that I did not have guns for. But man, these were some beautiful works of the machinist's art. How can you pass them up? I even bought some for guns that I already HAD moulds for, but again, how can you pass them up?
Yup....I have paid stupid money for a mould. It had some characteristic that I wanted, like new in the box, 6 8 or 10 cavity, never or hardly used, etc. But you take the pain and you forget after a while because the mould casts like a dream. I bought most of them on Ebay. Never was disappointed.
So to answer your question, one mould per caliber is what you NEED. Many different moulds is what you WANT.
The pocketbook is the limiting factor.

PS Paul
02-14-2016, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you did good after all!
ive purchased four or five molds off eBay. Only once did I get a dog, but I sold that off for what I paid during the big frenzy a couple years back.
during that same frenzy (when you couldn't touch an HP mold for less than $100), I happened on an advertised 358439 single-cavity mold with box. Turned out the seller didn't realize it was a hollow point mold. I got it for $50. It showed up in the original box with original instructions and original HP pin. It was PERFECT, only lightly used and the instruction manual was dated 1957!! the best part is it casts beautifully and is a great addition to the collection!!
a real score, so far as I'm concerned!

Sekatoa
02-21-2016, 12:51 AM
I've done well enough getting molds from eBay. I just follow some guidelines. They need to have decent pictures, escpecailly of the cavities. If they don't, but I'm still interested, I request more pictures from the seller. The price needs to worth it, either the risk factor or rarity or both. If it's a mold still made, and used, it needs to be like half price or something.
One thing it's been great for, without buying anything, is learning the different molds, numbers, and what the profile is. Learning about molds you never knew existed! Unfortunately, then sometimes you just have to have those!

shoot-n-lead
02-21-2016, 01:40 AM
It's a more valuable mold. The 374 is a pretty common mold, I'm sure you could sell or trade your GC mold for one. My brother was mad that an Ebay seller shipped him a 311041 instead of the common wadcutter mold he won for $10, until I pointed out he got a much more sought after mold.. :)

Bingo!

I wouldn't be upset...I would just sell it and make a little money.

Blammer
02-21-2016, 05:23 PM
so, you gonna get rid of that GC mould?

cbshtr
02-24-2016, 08:07 PM
I've bought and sold quite a few molds on ebay. I'm pretty much done buying. I'd say most that I bought were not worth buying and the seller had no clue how to accurately describe them. I once bought a RCBS 458-405fn mold that was never milled for handles or alignment pins. Pics never showed it so I am kind of at blame. Luckily the seller took them back. When I sell I try to accurately describe what I'm selling so there is no confusion. But for now, I'm done buying. Life is too short wasting time on junk. I'd rather buy a $20 Lee mold and modify it to fit the firearm in question.

dolfinwriter
03-05-2016, 05:58 PM

I've managed to pick up a lot of nice discontinued moulds , but you got to watch what you're buying and how much you pay. For every mould I bought 15 moulds were bid on and lost to others bidding foolish amounts of money. I had to stop watching....I was getting a mould habit going . Just how many moulds does one guy need !
Gary

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on eBay, but no boolit molds, yet. I don't feel I know enough about them yet to bid on used ones.

First of all, look at their feedback number. If the photos are unclear and the description leaves a lot to be desired, I would bet foldin' money that they have low numbers and they are inexperienced sellers. When eBay was young and most people didn't have digital cameras or cell phones yet, photos sometimes lacked. Getting film developed and then scanning to upload to a separate hosting location and then linking to that in an ebay listing was a major PITA. Today there is no excuse for crappy photos. It is either laziness, inexperience or ignorance.

Don't be afraid to ask them questions. If they want to sell their item, they will respond, and they will be respectful about it. For example, I'm a computer guy, but I don't know everything about computers. Nobody can. I was shopping for a used laptop to upgrade into what I'm using at this moment to replace my previous Toshiba that died on me. I asked the seller a question and got back a snotty, "That's a stupid question and I don't have time for idiots like you" kind of answer. Ok, fine. Dude, I don't care how good a deal, I'm never buying a single thing from you. I found another one. And I learned something I didn't know regarding the question that I had asked. I mean really--I've been fixing and building computers for about 18 years now, and without being too specific, I make my living in the IT world. If this jerk treated ME like that, how does he treat my mother when SHE is looking for a laptop? I wouldn't expect most of the guys I work with to know what I had asked, let alone my mother. And this seller's numbers reflect that. He had very low feedback numbers.

I always post several photos of my items. If I'm looking for something I need or want and the photos are unclear, I won't buy. If I can't find others, I might contact the seller and say I might be interested in your item if you post some clear photos, otherwise I'm not interested. They may email additional photos to potential buyers. It's a puzzle why they wouldn't post them, but I guess to each his own or her own.

One friend of mine bought some bayonets from eBay and complained to me that they were rusty. I asked if there had been photos. Did the description give a thorough and accurate description regarding the rust? I have sold broken items, missing parts, etc. on eBay. I just always give a full and accurate description and close up photos of any problem areas so the buyer knows what they are getting. On a couple of occasions I have had buyers complain about poor condition of something or that it didn't work, who had not read the description. In those cases I offer a refund of the purchase price but I tell them they are still responsible for the shipping cost both ways. I want them to be happy, but it's not my fault if they didn't take the time to read the description that I took the time to write, and I refuse to lose money that way.

I hope this helps some folks.