PDA

View Full Version : Can it be changed?

jayhkr
05-15-2015, 05:22 PM
So I bought a Lee Single Loading Press (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press) from MidWayUsa to resize my 9mm. I wanted it mounted upside down so the boolits would fall into a tub instead of fishing the last few out of the sizing die. Is it possible to change the handle configuration so I can push down to press the boolits through, instead of having it on the up stroke? I know it wasn't designed to do this, but I tried taking the handle off but couldn't figure out a way to make it work upside down. Not a big deal if not, but sure would be nice if it can be changed.

Thanks all!

jcren
05-15-2015, 06:12 PM
The classic cast presses will work th i s way, but yours requires a homemade linkage. Search on here though, I know one guy did it and posted pics of the linkage. May have been in coatings forum.

Rory McCanuck
05-15-2015, 09:33 PM
It should be easy enough.
You just need to figure out a way to switch the pin attachments around.
You'd need to make up some sort of yoke to mount the ram to the mid-point hole on the handle.

bedbugbilly
05-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Can't help you as far as alterations to the press . . . I use my Lee sizing dies on my old RCBS Jr3 single stage. As far as the last couple having to be "fished out" - I just keep a short piece of 1/4 wood dowel next to the press. On the end of my sizing run, I just insert it into the bottom of the sizing die, raise the push rod up with the handle and the one or two that are still in the sizing die quickly and easily push up into the red plastic container sitting on top of the die. Quick and simple.

Walter Laich
05-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Can't help you as far as alterations to the press . . . I use my Lee sizing dies on my old RCBS Jr3 single stage. As far as the last couple having to be "fished out" - I just keep a short piece of 1/4 wood dowel next to the press. On the end of my sizing run, I just insert it into the bottom of the sizing die, raise the push rod up with the handle and the one or two that are still in the sizing die quickly and easily push up into the red plastic container sitting on top of the die. Quick and simple.
+1 except I use a 1/4" bolt with the head down--a bit more stable for me

mdi
05-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Me too, kinda. I use a 1/4" Nylon bolt 4" long...

jmorris
05-16-2015, 02:00 PM
How about no handle at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

GhostHawk
05-16-2015, 11:15 PM
I have mine upside down, have no problem with sizing on the upstroke.
If you need power stand up and pull.

You do want a sturdy table, and I suspect that would be a good place to store some of your backup lead supply.
A good stout table with a couple hundred pounds of lead on it is not going anywhere when you pull that lever up.

jayhkr
05-17-2015, 02:51 AM
How about no handle at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

I would love an automated system, have no idea how to build one or where to even get the parts for it.

I have mine upside down, have no problem with sizing on the upstroke.
If you need power stand up and pull.

You do want a sturdy table, and I suspect that would be a good place to store some of your backup lead supply.
A good stout table with a couple hundred pounds of lead on it is not going anywhere when you pull that lever up.

Oh the table it's on is extremely sturdy, I just would prefer to sit and do 1000 at a time and be comfortable while doing it.