PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you using iPads have lock-up problems with the site????

bangerjim
05-15-2015, 04:11 PM
I do a lot of stuff on my iPads. And on this site. Very convenient!

I use a bluetooth Apple keyboard.

Problem is: I am typing away in a post and the pad totally locks up on this site. No other site does this. Cannot do anyting....dead. Only minimizing the Safari app and shutting it down completely will the site start working.......but I loose ALL I have typed!!!! Really a PITA. No way to save anything.

Only the Safari page with CB on it is locked up. All other pages of Safari are open and totally active.

This has been more predominant since iOS 8 came out. NO way to retrograde back to 7. Don't you just love Apple?!?!?!?!?

Anyone else on an iPAD seeing this? Never any lock-ups on my office desktop WIN7 PC. Or iPhone!

Any suggestions or comments?

bangerjim

62chevy
05-15-2015, 04:24 PM
I've had it give me fits before and closing the browser Iceweasel and starting again does it, never had to reboot my computer running Linux. Iceweasel is Firefox re-branded with art work for Debian.

No_1
05-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Try Google web browser for the IPAD Jim.

NoAngel
05-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Nope, never. iMac, iPhone & iPad all do fine.

JSnover
05-15-2015, 05:34 PM
My keyboard freezes once in a while but it's not specific to any site. All I have to do is close the keyboard and open it again.

bullet maker 57
05-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I do not have any problems with my iPad .

dragon813gt
05-15-2015, 06:16 PM
When is the last time you did a respring or reboot? If it's not jailbroken you are stuck w/ only the reboot option. As much as it sucks their OS isn't the most stable and needs to be rebooted from time to time.

bangerjim
05-15-2015, 08:58 PM
When is the last time you did a respring or reboot? If it's not jailbroken you are stuck w/ only the reboot option. As much as it sucks their OS isn't the most stable and needs to be rebooted from time to time.

I do a COLD reboot about every 2 weeks on all my "stuff" iPhones, iPads, Win PC's, etc. Clears out the cobwebs.

I do not jailbreak anything.

banger

Bzcraig
05-15-2015, 11:02 PM
I only come to CB through Google Chrome, never had a problem with complete lock up but have had the keyboard slow down. I don't use a Bluetooth keyboard.

bangerjim
05-15-2015, 11:23 PM
I am now using Chrome to see if that solves the problems!

No_1

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!

MrWolf
05-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Never had an issue on this site but have on others. Might be the bluetooth connection?

dragon813gt
05-16-2015, 03:12 PM
I've been contemplating this one all day. I think I figured it out. It's a government conspiracy. They realize that most of the members here are somewhat older. And they know the younger people no longer use computers and hate to be inconvenienced. They're purposely creating problems w/ this site knowing the young people will just stop browsing the forum. They never learn the knowledge that the older members possess. So the knowledge is eventually lost. This is a long term multigenerational plan and I think Apple and Soros are complicit in it ;)

popper
05-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Suspect a timeout problem between the site, Ipad & keyboard. Site's autosave doesn't work? Grandkids trashed my logitech BT keyboard,just use the on-screen one now.

bangerjim
05-17-2015, 04:59 PM
These lock-ups are not timeouts. The thing happens right as I am typing. Dead. Locked-up. Nada. Zip. Have to shut down the app totally and restart.

I am using Chrome now and so far had had no problems.

Mabe No_1 can explain what the auto-save thing does?!?!?!? It pops up all the time in the lower right corner of a posting.

banger

No_1
05-17-2015, 05:02 PM
It is a Google thing. It is saving the post you have typed. Not sure what happens if you go off the page though....

gondwana
07-04-2015, 06:58 PM
I don't have any problems using this board from an iPad.

JMax
07-04-2015, 07:06 PM
No problems with my iPad on this site at all

Preacher Jim
12-18-2015, 12:28 PM
when that happens i just keep typing and soon it catches up and displays all i typed. never lost a word yet. at first i would do all the other things now i just keep typing it all come out

SSGOldfart
12-18-2015, 01:13 PM
My kindle does the same and only on this site, I'm having trouble staying signed in now as well must be a bug in here somewhere?

dbh1956
12-18-2015, 03:43 PM
I haven't had any trouble with Ipad or PC.

bangerjim
12-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Just noticed with iOS9.2 that the auto-correct engine was enhanced..................to type even MORE things your never intended to say!!!!! HA....ha!

Just always proof-read all you type B4 posting. With the enhanced the spellchecking and grammar check engines these days, there is no excuse for misspelled words and grammar errors. But I still get them if I do not proof-read, and even miss them at times, especially on the teeny iPhone6 screen.

That s----l-------o------------w typing thing happens ever so often and ONLY on this site. And only on the iPad. I am used to instant visual screen feedback when typing (I do not look at the keyboard and can type 80WPM) and that delay just kills me.

banger

jeepyj
12-18-2015, 06:36 PM
It used to happen on my iPad for what reason I have no idea then after one of my updates it stopped locking up. I used to have to exit then go back in and auto restore and it would bring me back to where I was. Btw It didn't matter if I was using a Bluetooth keyboard or not it just locked up. I didn't make any changes except keeping up with the updates.
jeepyj

jmorris
12-18-2015, 10:16 PM
I use an IPad and with this site only, sometimes it will post ads on the entire screen where there is print. Makes it very difficult to see what forum is what and topics are but when you enter a thread, everything is normal.

Suo Gan
12-19-2015, 04:05 PM
They have an integrated keyboard and weren't designed to be used with a Bluetooth keyboard. Mine work flawlessly but I gave up on the aftermarket keypads. Love my 6 plus too. Hardly touch a pc anymore.

labradigger1
12-19-2015, 05:22 PM
I use an IPad and with this site only, sometimes it will post ads on the entire screen where there is print. Makes it very difficult to see what forum is what and topics are but when you enter a thread, everything is normal.

^^^^^
This happens to me every couple of days, exactly as he described and only with this site.

bangerjim
12-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Well, Apple makes a wireless keyboard for the iPad/iPhone and other Apple products. I have one. It used to lock up. iOS9.2 installed now and will see if any different. 8 still did it occasionally.

But the Apple brand keyboard is designed to work......not like some of that 3rd party cheap garbage people seem to want to use. Ya gets what ya pays for!

And I cannot type 80WPM on that stupid on-screen keyboard. I hate those things.

banger

Dale53
12-22-2015, 02:06 PM
I am using an iPad Air and have no problems with the site, as yet. I mostly use the on screen keyboard but, also GREATLY prefer my Anker Bluetooth Keyboard.

FWIW
Dale53

blixen
12-26-2015, 12:41 PM
I have no problems with iPad. I never used my cheap, trashy Bluetooth keyboard with CB. I'm going to give it a try just to see if it malfunctions. BTW, I dislike the TapaTalk app.

Pablo 5959
12-26-2015, 01:01 PM

I have this issue with another site catered to my State all the time on two different iPads.
Never on this site

canyon-ghost
12-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Threaten it, switch to Firefox! Sent from an LG Gpad with Zagg Autokeys.

Elkins45
12-28-2015, 11:05 PM

I have exactly the same issue on both my iPad and my iPhone. On the phone it makes the site practically unreadable, and a cold reboot doesn't usually fix it.

CPL Lou
01-02-2016, 05:14 AM
I use opera mini with no problems with my iPad.

CplLou

scarry scarney
01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
My only issue is I always have to end rusher name and password (iPad safari).

bangerjim
01-04-2016, 07:26 AM
My only issue is I always have to end rusher name and password (iPad safari).

I have never had to do that! You should be able to turn off the password stuff in your Safari settings in General.

That would be a PITA.

banger

popper
01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
These lock-ups are not timeouts Maybe I misstated what i meant. OS has to keep track of BT, wifii, screen, etc. sometimes it gets mixed up in the process que and locks up. IIRC, ALL other browsers actually are wrappers around Safari, not a real stand alone browser. Chrome also has some spyware they are supposed to remove. Last eve I got a 'server not available - 505?' splash but the site worked fine. Using an old Ipadair, never cold boot except for updates. Actually this site runs faster on my PC than most others. Got the old laptop out with wireshark to check my wifi traffic after I got sent a new router from fios. Won't let me use MY wep2 password. Gives 100mb traffic but connections are slower.

krems
01-07-2016, 01:36 AM
No problems with this site on my iPad.....both 4 year old one and a new one.

NavyVet1959
01-07-2016, 03:13 AM
A lot of sites do not work well with touchscreen devices. If I have any serious work to do (i.e. other than mindless childish games, reading the news or books, text messaging, etc), I use a *real* computer (laptop or desktop). I've had UNIX machines go *years* without needing a reboot. Let's see your PC / iPad / Android / Apple-excrement do *that*. Yeah, I know that Apple O/S now has a flavor of UNIX/Linux underneath it all, but they screwed it up.

Posting simple replies to site like this is painful, but possible with a touch screen device, but if you need to edit the quote, it can get even more painful. I'll often revisit my replies when I get home and at a real PC so that I can trim down what was quoted or to post links or photos.

dragon813gt
01-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Posting simple replies to site like this is painful, but possible with a touch screen device, but if you need to edit the quote, it can get even more painful. I'll often revisit my replies when I get home and at a real PC so that I can trim down what was quoted or to post links or photos.

This is only the case if you're using an internet browser. Use a forum reader, like Tapatalk, and all the frustration goes away. No more zooming in and out to read posts. No more advertisements and clutter on the screen. I'm at the point where if a site isn't TapaTalk native then I'm not a member.

NavyVet1959
01-07-2016, 11:52 AM
This is only the case if you're using an internet browser. Use a forum reader, like Tapatalk, and all the frustration goes away. No more zooming in and out to read posts. No more advertisements and clutter on the screen. I'm at the point where if a site isn't TapaTalk native then I'm not a member.

I tried TapaTalk... Didn't particularly like it... Not sure if I hated it more than I hated just using a browser though... My investment brokerage site has an Android and iPad app. It does not have all the features that I need as compared to their website. I also do not like the look and feel of it, so I stay with the website. Their solution was to change the website to make it more difficult to use. :(

bangerjim
01-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I also tried it and did not like it at all. Dumped it.

to each his own.

banger

dragon813gt
01-07-2016, 01:22 PM
I don't know how you can't like it. Everything is stripped down to just the posts. Text is large and easy to read. And no zooming in an out. To each their own but viewing a forum w/ a browser drives me nuts.

NavyVet1959
01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
To each their own but viewing a forum w/ a browser drives me nuts.

For some of us, that's a shorter drive than for others... :)

jmorris
01-15-2016, 12:30 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jmorris http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3474005#post3474005)

^^^^^

This happens to me every couple of days, exactly as he described and only with this site.

Odd that this would happen so often it would drive me nuts and after I posted last month I figured I would get a screen capture of it and I have had no more issues.

Pooch
01-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Had troubles with the Ipad in general. Went to the Samsung & never have an issue.

Pee Wee
01-19-2016, 08:51 AM
yes, I do. like yours mine locks up same problem same solution.

No_1
01-23-2016, 02:04 AM
Both Willy and myself access the site on many different platforms assessing performance, currently I am using an iPad to access the site including chat without problems. We have looked into this problem and determined it is not on our end. My suggestion would be reset your iPad to factory defaults then update to the latest OS and see what happens.

54bore
01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I have an iPad mini and have no problems on here, I've never noticed any glitches

248dm
01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I think a lot of the problems are with Apple. They hijack your device when it is open to run a virus scan, or to determine what you are viewing causing the device to freeze. Apple said this was to make your online experience more to your needs, in other words taylor ads.

My I-phone 7 updated to OS 10 last nite and my G-mail account got lost. Apple, it seems want the I-store version of G-mail. I had to do a work around to get my old G-mail account back.

Privacy, seems to be a thing of the past.

Drm50
01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
I have had lots of problems with this site on IPad. Not sites Fault. I have Lock ups and more
recently IPad will "drop" post and you have to go back and bring it up clear to forum. Also what
is really bad, when you call for Cast Boolits, it appears in heading- then drops and another site
about Home Filing or something pops up, 1/2 the time at least. Then it locks screen. POed last
week it cost me to miss buying a mold I have been looking for for months. Took me 1/2 hour
to get back on site, mean while someone else scuffed the mold.

oldblinddog
01-28-2017, 08:07 PM
I use iPad for everything with no problems.

NavyVet1959
01-29-2017, 07:22 AM
I have had lots of problems with this site on IPad. Not sites Fault. I have Lock ups and more
recently IPad will "drop" post and you have to go back and bring it up clear to forum. Also what
is really bad, when you call for Cast Boolits, it appears in heading- then drops and another site
about Home Filing or something pops up, 1/2 the time at least. Then it locks screen. POed last
week it cost me to miss buying a mold I have been looking for for months. Took me 1/2 hour
to get back on site, mean while someone else scuffed the mold.

That's probably the same issue that we've been reporting in the latter parts of this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?321268-Google-warning-AGAINST-CASTBOOLITS!!!/page23

Hogtamer
01-29-2017, 08:57 AM
there is a problem with ipad, the dreaded "there was a problem with this website so the page was reloaded" notice. Oddly, CastBoolits is the only site I NEVER got this notice and has always worked perfectly. If you have had problems go to Safari, advanced, and turn off Java. You can't watch videos in this mode, but no biggie to me.

Prodigal Son
01-29-2017, 07:08 PM
I use it only and no problems, easier to down load photos and posting than 24 hour campfire! Love this forum!

LittleLebowski
01-31-2017, 12:34 PM
I think a lot of the problems are with Apple. They hijack your device when it is open to run a virus scan, or to determine what you are viewing causing the device to freeze. Apple said this was to make your online experience more to your needs, in other words taylor ads.

My I-phone 7 updated to OS 10 last nite and my G-mail account got lost. Apple, it seems want the I-store version of G-mail. I had to do a work around to get my old G-mail account back.

Privacy, seems to be a thing of the past.

Apple does not hijack your device to do a virus scan. Apple does not "do virus scans."

macomber
02-03-2017, 01:25 AM
I haven't had any problems with the site and my iPads.

jmorris
02-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Noticed this again. Funny since I posted #23 nothing odd has occurred. Someone must be watching me:shock:

Sekatoa
02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
I use iPad for everything with no problems.

Me too, but not entirely the no problems part ...I have issues usually my fury s in the full site mode, and use Tapatalk... which works well most the time but goes through issues with notifications and seems like random stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

248dm
02-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Apple does not hijack your device to do a virus scan. Apple does not "do virus scans."

I cannot say for sure with I pad but can say for sure with my Apple laptop. After a period of lockup, I get a "your virus scan is complete message". Never had third party software.

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2018, 08:59 PM
No problems I can remember.