PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1873, 357 mag, Lyman 160 RNFP load recommendations

stubbicatt
05-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Guys. I recently acquired a Uberti 1873 rifle in 357 magnum, and am aware of cautions and limitations due to the toggle link action, hence my request for advice here.

Years ago I used to load 12.3 grains of 2400 under the excellent Lyman 160 grain RNFP with the fat grease groove. Was an accurate load in my 94 Marlin, long since sold. I do not have any chrono data for this load, but reckon it was probably between 1,000 and 1,100 fps in my 4 inch S&W Model 19. Alloy in the past was wheel weights or 20 to 1, whichever was in the pot. I did not experience any leading with this combination. I used standard CCI small pistol primers.

I can't find 2400 anymore, and am in search of a suitable propellant for this combination, and a recipe for said propellant. There are so many powders on the market I am not familiar with at all, and am at a loss as to what to buy. I would prefer to not have to use magnum primers if possible.

I am concerned about the durability of the toggle link action, although I have been assured by the folks at Uberti/Beretta that the rifle is safe for use with 357 magnum rounds. Even so, I would like to keep to lower pressures if possible "just in case," while striving to achieve similar velocities and accuracy.

I am reluctant to shoot 38 specials in this rifle due to the crud accumulation in the chamber I have experienced in other 357 chambers, which I wish to avoid. Cleaning that stubborn gunk from a chamber with limited access in the 1873 is not something I wish to experience.

If you have experience with a commonly available propellant that can duplicate this performance, I sure would appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Stubb

T-Bird
05-29-2015, 12:23 PM
I get great results with 7gr AA 5 under the lee 158rnfp in my Miroku 1873.don't know pressure, but is below starting load for 357. I'm getting 1225-1250 fps, which is exactly what I wanted for an everyday load. My 686 won't shoot it for beans. Shoot straight T-Bird

stubbicatt
06-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks T-bird.

northmn
06-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Some powders like H110 are recommended to be loaded close to max so I would recommend that you look into Unique, Herco or some other type of powder for your uses. I tend to be like you and load down 357 cases for 38 special performance for similar reasons. In a rifle, velocities exceeding 1300 are easily achieved with about any powder commonly loaded in a 357.

DP

stubbicatt
06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Thought I'd update the thread, in case anybody is following it.

Using new Starline brass, the Lyman 160 grain RNFP and 13.2 grains of 2400, I test fired the Uberti/Taylors 1873 with about 20 rounds last week. It shot to the point of aim without adjusting the sights (when I could see the sights... poor vision here). Functioned well, no real report from the muzzle, mild recoil impulse. The rifle functioned flawlessly. Best of all, zero leading in the bore, and it cleaned right up with a couple wet patches of CLP followed by a couple dry patches. I used my home made black powder lube, and the barrel was really nice and slippery and shiny before cleaning.

Alloy was 20-1 left over in the pot from BPCR casting.

The lube is 50% vegetable shortening, 50% beeswax by weight, and a shotglass of canola oil to about 3 cups of end product. It is a soft lube which doesn't require a heater.