PDA

View Full Version : Old Instructions Needed

Mike W1
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm looking for a copy of instructions for a set of shotshell dies that were made by
Ted Smith of Shooters Accessory Services in Oregon back in the 70's. Used to use
them in a .38 to shoot rats and preferred them to the Speer capsules. That little black
cup maybe was made by Alcan, don't remember, but source for those is also needed.
Had a tumbler kit from him too but that's long since gone and believe he may have
sold out to Corbin also in OR but nothing I could find on their web site.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/38%20Shotshell%20Die_zps7crqqywm.jpg

David2011
05-15-2015, 12:48 AM
If you can't find the original parts there is an alternate solution. This is how I make my .45 Colt snake/rat loads. You can substitute either the black foam from meat trays or use a gas check to separate the powder from the shot. If you use the foam, just cut disks with a cartridge. If you use gas checks, seat one "cup up" over the powder and another one "cup down" over the shot and apply a firm roll crimp. I use 5 grains of any fairly fast pistol powder for the .45 so you could probably use about 3.5 grains. The foam or gas check should be seated all the way down against the powder. The weight of the charge is well below a solid cast boolit so it's not critical. The useful range of my loads is 10-15 feet and it's extremely effective on rattlers.

That black cup looks a lot like a plastic wad for black powder loads so that might be a source.

David

Mike W1
05-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I think he did mention in his booklet about using gas checks and a foam over powder wad would be just fine. Don't know anything about black powder stuff but I'll be looking now!