PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Auto Charge or Lyman Gen 6?

three50seven
05-14-2015, 12:03 PM
I think I have decided to invest in an automatic powder dispenser/scale unit. Who has experience with either the Hornady or Lyman unit, or both? Would really like some real-world reviews before I commit to buying one of these, thanks!

angus6
05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Buddies Hornadywent T/U with very little use

Maximumbob54
05-14-2015, 12:38 PM
My Autocharge is now around three years old and no longer turns on. If it can't be repaired or serviced I'm going to be highly disappointed.

kfarm
05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Have had the hornady since they came out. I have mixed opinions on mine. Likes stick better than ball powders. I get a lot of over charge with ball. Then you have to unplug it and start over. It's also slow if you are just charging cases but about right if you charge then seat. Would I buy another hornady, I don't think so. I think I'd look at another brand first. Might even look at smart reloader.

three50seven
05-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Well, so far it looks like the Lyman is the way to go. I have read a ton of reviews, most all of them positive, but I'm still not sure if I want to take that plunge yet.

Maximumbob54
05-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Just to let it be said, there are of course non electronics (grumbles) options. A Lee dipper that gets you close and then trickle the rest isn't that slow. Then there is the Dandy Products lineup. They make some neat stuff.

VHoward
05-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Have had the hornady since they came out. I have mixed opinions on mine. Likes stick better than ball powders. I get a lot of over charge with ball. Then you have to unplug it and start over. It's also slow if you are just charging cases but about right if you charge then seat. Would I buy another hornady, I don't think so. I think I'd look at another brand first. Might even look at smart reloader.
If you have to unplug yours and start over because of an overcharge, then there is something wrong with it. I have had mine for about a year and never have had to re-boot from an overcharge. And I don't get overcharges very often. When I do, I dump the powder back in the hopper and place the pan back on the machine and press the enter button. Then it dispenses a charge correctly.

kfarm
05-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Nope ever since new if it gets a error it locks up and I have to unplug to turn it off. Plug in turn on and re-enter the load. Thought that's the way it worked. Well had it a number of years, other than that it works OK like is mentioned above. Of all the hornady equipment I have this has been the most problematic. Wonder if they have a replacement program like on the projector.

dragon813gt
05-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Neither, buy a RCBS Chargemaster.

kfarm
05-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Back in 1971 when I started out farming on my own I went all red (IHC) from John Deere it was cheaper per hp than green. My dad said I'd be sorry someday. Maybe this is what he ment.

Ranger 7
05-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Have the Lyman 1200 #3. Use it all the time, no problems.
But as with scales in general: No fans, drafts or strong electromagnetic fields. Will cause errors.

JesterGrin_1
05-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Neither, buy a RCBS Chargemaster.

:bigsmyl2: :2_high5:

Sorry I have to agree to go with the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.