PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Arms End Shake, Play

calshipbuilder
05-14-2015, 02:52 AM
This is a bit of a noob question, but should I expect to have noticeable end shake (back and forth) and cylinder play (side to side) in my FA 83?

When I first got it in (used) I could not feel any, the cylinder may as well have been welded to the frame. After I got it back from FA to fix the safety actuator bar and fit a new 45 ACP cylinder, I now feel end shake and play with both cylinders. Its not terrible, but I'm not sure what to expect. The cylinders have more play in it now than my well used S&W 325.

I did call FA about it and they said I probably had not cleaned it... not a good start on the customer relations front - I had it spotless before I sent it out. Not really looking forward to spending another $100 to next day air it out to WY after dropping $700 on the new cylinder, so I wanted to check here first.

Do any other FA owners have noticeable end shake and cylinder play? I'd be OK if this was a used factory Ruger, but not an FA fresh back from the shop.

fivegunner
05-14-2015, 05:40 AM
Hi, I would send it back, I have 5 freedom arms handguns 2 - 454 casull 1- 475 linebaugh 1- 97-.45 Colt 1- 252 .22-22mag. none of them have any end shake my 83`s are the permire models that I bought in the 80`s and are tight! the .22 is super tight can only shoot about 25 of cheap .22`s before it needs to be cleaned:D

Plastikosmd
05-14-2015, 05:43 AM
0 shake here, even on my guns with 4 cylinders

missionary5155
05-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Good morning Calshipbuilder
I would be looking into a "friendly FFL" who will help with that shipping. My local FFL in ILLinois can ship a revolver to anywhere USA for $25.
Mike in Peru

dubber123
05-14-2015, 07:31 AM
No end shake and barely perceptible play even after many 60,000 Psi rounds. F/A doesn't have the best rep for customer friendliness. I'm lucky to have only ever dealt with them for accessories after purchasing the guns.

44man
05-14-2015, 11:11 AM
You NEED cylinder play. but should have no end shake. Might be your fault from shooting a dry gun.
Lube the pin, ratchet and front bushing with STP.
Side to side is needed for the bullet to pull the cylinder into line with the bore. Also up and down. But end play is out and out wear.
I have seen too many Freedoms with throats worn oblong and forcing cones and rifling worn off center from a cylinder too tight so maybe they figured it out after too many returns. I can show what it does when wear is off center.
This Freedom had about 300 factory rounds and did this on the left with factory rounds. I worked the gun and increased side play along with reaming the throats and cutting the cone. Right is cast after work. 50 yards. 139490 Make your gun tight and suffer.
139492Jack Huntington builds the best and he has side to side play on every gun. Look at the Freedom cylinder after a reamer. Never touched the worn places. Get your shorts too tight!
I have had many issues with freedom and Baker hates me but maybe he is listening.

44man
05-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Internal parts wear fast on them so the hammer block or transfer bars will fail. 83 or 97. Both will say NO ROUNDS UNDER THE HAMMER. 4 shooters only. Not right to push a hammer with my thumb and have the firing pin move out.
Bash me all you want. Been in trouble many times with freedoms. The love affair is external finish and DANG it is tight! Chances of perfection does happen now and then but they have more out of round bores and over size bores then anyone.

Tatume
05-14-2015, 01:04 PM
My experience with FA customer service so disgusted me that I sold all my FA revolvers, and will never buy another.

onceabull
05-14-2015, 07:14 PM
It will come as a rude shock to Gary Reeder , Ham.Bowen,& John Linebaugh & Son, that Mr..Huntington builds "the best"...Onceabull

44man
05-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Sorry if I neglected them, all make good guns. I have only shot Jack's guns and never handled any of the others. All tack drivers.
Main reason is anyone that has them never needs any work done. If they do, it is handled promptly.
Gun companies should all be like Ruger, Rem, Mossberg, etc. Even a third owner can get a gun fixed.
Had a Mossberg here, the owner took it apart and lost a part. I called and was sent a part free, wrong part for the Ga. I called back and she apologized and sent another free, I was told just keep the other part. That is SERVICE!
I fully respect all the custom makers.
Had a Marlin and was asked if it was under warranty---WHAT? Two years only. Now that they are Remlins, will we be better off?
Freedom should take a page and follow it, need work, better have a big check! $100 for a trigger job? Needs a lighter trigger spring only, lock work needs nothing. I wound a few from brownell's stock in 15 minutes, took them to less then 1-1/2#. Complicated as all get out too. You need to pay shipping both ways unless you cuss a storm.