PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's and bass pro shops

yancey
05-13-2015, 10:04 PM
We have a new Cabela's that has just opened today in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Bass Pro shop's will also be opening a new store in a few months just one mile down the road from Cabela's in Tn.( Both stores will face I-75 on the Tn , Ga line) I guess the big answer I'm looking for is do these places carry much gun powder and how high are the prices. I have never been in a Cabela's store and was just wondering . ( The store is only a little over one mile from the house)

00buck
05-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Go there
Bring money
I stock up when I go
Cabela's was a 2 1/2 hour ride from me. A new store opened just 45 minutes away now :)

wv109323
05-13-2015, 10:09 PM
In normal times they usually carry the more popular powders. Prices are nothing to brag about and they usually carry just 1 lb. cans. IIRC most powders are $28.99 now. I have not seen pistol powder in the local Cabela's for 2-3 years.

pworley1
05-13-2015, 10:11 PM
A new Bass Pro shop just opened in Memphis TN about 2 hours away.

xbeeman412
05-13-2015, 10:14 PM
We have a Bass Pro about 25 miles from the house and they are high but do have some things. A new Cabellas is being built about 5 miles from the house and don't know what they offer. I hear the bargan basement has good stuff from time to time.

dddoo7
05-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Bass pro is high. Cabelas is better in my opinion...however you will probably end up buying from which ever has it in stock.

dragonrider
05-13-2015, 10:18 PM
There is one of each about an hour away from my town. I haven't been there yet, but I am retired now and I can make the time to get there.

dddoo7
05-13-2015, 10:18 PM
A new Bass Pro shop just opened in Memphis TN about 2 hours away.

If you are coming to Memphis for powder try averys. They have more selection and Better prices than the big chains. My second choice in Memphis would be sportsmans warehouse.

BNE
05-13-2015, 10:22 PM
The Cabellas in my town carries a lot of reloading presses, dies and even a small number of molds. They usually have primers and some powder. Not a huge selection of powder, typically rifle only. BUT they do seem to get it in on a regular basis.

quilbilly
05-13-2015, 10:42 PM
In this area, we have both about 60 miles apart near Seattle. Our Cabelas is much better than BassPro for the reloader. That store has had pistol powder several times but it only stays on the shelf a couple hours.

Baja_Traveler
05-13-2015, 10:49 PM
On one hand I'm jealous - but on the other hand I'm glad that there are neither close to me. We have a Bass Pro 2-3 hours away, and no Cabelas at all in California. If I had either close to my house I would be in constant trouble with the wife...
The Cabelas I visit once a year in Utah when I go up to ski is much better than any Bass Pro that I have been in for reloading supplies.

Mauser48
05-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Mine only ever has black powder but I havent been in several months. Some stuff prices are regular and some stuff is pretty pricey. They are good for gear but im not too sure about reloadin supplies. At least mine isnt.

M-Tecs
05-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Cabela's normal prices are on the high side but if you watch the sales and promos they can be hard to beat.

TXGunNut
05-13-2015, 11:59 PM
I like Cabelas, the reloading items carried depend of the market-or what they perceive the market to be. Bad news, if you have a mom & pop store nearby their days are likely numbered. My favorite gunshop closed up before Cabelas and Bass Pro opened up down the road a bit.
I don't get to Bass Pro often but I understand they generally carry less reloading stuff than Cabelas but that varies.

375supermag
05-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi..

We have a Bass pro shop about 25-30 miles from the estate in Harrisburg,Pa. Kinda pricey...
Nearest Cabela's is in Hamburg,Pa about an hour and a half from here. Better selection of reloading equipment and supplies than Bass Pro shop. Prices are still kind of high, but sales on clothes and boots at both make the trip worthwhile.

Local shops have better prices on firearms and reloading supplies most of the time, but if you are there at the right time, the selection can be better at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop.

SeabeeMan
05-14-2015, 06:43 AM
I usually have good lock at Cabelas, and I have found pistol powder. I just grabbed some S&B primers for 22.99 to try out last time I was there. I also usually find 22 at a fair price. They have it behind the counter sometimes and you have to ask for it, and there is a limit, but its there.

tddeangelo
05-14-2015, 07:48 AM
I just got H110 at the Cabela's here in PA (I live 3 miles from it, lol). They have had more powder lately...the last couple years, things were lean.

Prices are ok to high, never really great pricing, but if they have what you want, it is usually cheaper than ordering it and paying hazmat. They will sometimes have 5- and 8-lb jugs, but the prices aren't worth buying in volume, and usually the bulk powder CAN be bought online cheaper, even with hazmat fees.

The Cabela's we have in PA was built in 2003. It was AWESOME when it was built...they had great gear, good prices, and sales that meant something. They also had people working there who knew their stuff.

Now it's a Walmart with outdoor decor.

Most of the clothing is their own brand, which is cheaply made and high priced. They fight to avoid honoring any sort of warranty, even on their own gear. The sales and Bargain Cave are pitiful anymore, and the buys I find are few and far between. Used to be that I could find all sorts of goodies in the Bargain Cave and sales meant you could get something at a really great price. Now, a sale usually brings their price somewhere just above where other places sell the same item every day.

They are not after the local customer. Period. They want the tourist, the passer-by, the person who will come in when far from home (hence the locations always being near an interstate) and say "this is awesome! I'll never get back here, so I better get everything I want now!" and buy like crazy. That's the customer they are after, and they snag them very effectively from what I've seen in the store here. Sell a Glock normally for $125 higher than everyone else, offer it at "$75 off," and people fall over themselves to get it.

GhostHawk
05-14-2015, 08:53 AM
In the last year I have bought from both. Cabella's had the early lead, but later on Bass Pro got in Red Dot.

Having either close enough to save a 28$ haz mat fee is a bonus in my book.
It is 70 miles to the nearest Cabella's and Bass Pro, hundreds of miles for sure.

dragon813gt
05-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Was in the Bass Pro in Harrisburg once. I won't ever step foot in it again. It was well before the shortage. Powders were over $30 a pound back then. Primers were close to $40 a thousand.

Cabela's is about thirty minutes from my house and I get there quite often. Their prices and selection both suck. I can't say they charge any more than other stores in the area. Because they all charge ridiculous prices. They haven't killed any local stores because their pricing on firearms sucks. I've paid a fair price but there are no deals on them. If you want to buy new their selection can't be beat. But their used selection is usually pitiful and over priced.

I know this was about reloading supplies. It's gotten better over the last few months. Powder is back on the shelves instead of being on a small display in the middle of the aisles. If you really need it then buy it. Otherwise I'd wait it out.

Harry O
05-14-2015, 10:21 AM
We have both in town. The local Cabela's has reloading supplies, bullets, powder, etc. Of course, it has been pretty sparse the last couple of years. The local Bass Pro Shop does not carry any reloading supplies. They have a few guns, but they don't really cater very much to shooters.

bangerjim
05-14-2015, 10:28 AM
I have both here in the PHX area. Both are very high $$ in my book. And carry very little in the reloading line. Some powders when available, mostly rifle. Primers are well over $4/hundred!!!!! Components are much higher than I care to pay, so it's normally off to the internet and our vendor sponsors at the top of the page.

You may catch some sales occasionally. But I look at them as a fishing and clothing store. REALLY big boxes full of nothing I really want.

snowwolfe
05-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Both have interesting marketing systems. Here in Colorado I have never seen any type of pistol powder or .22 LR ammo on the shelf since both stores opened. Yet a few weeks ago I stopped at Cabelas in Kansas City and they had an entire rack of CCI .22 LR as well as Unique, Powder Pistol, etc.

A year ago when no one had pistol powder anywhere the Bass Pro shop close to Knoxville TN had all the Unique and Bullseye you could purchase on the shelf.

In short, both are **** shoots as to if they will have anything good. But both are fairly high in the pricing if they do have it.

dakotashooter2
05-14-2015, 12:04 PM
I like Cabelas, the reloading items carried depend of the market-or what they perceive the market to be. Bad news, if you have a mom & pop store nearby their days are likely numbered. My favorite gunshop closed up before Cabelas and Bass Pro opened up down the road a bit.
I don't get to Bass Pro often but I understand they generally carry less reloading stuff than Cabelas but that varies.

It's sad because I think most people assume the prices at the mom and pop shops will be higher. I have found that is not necessarily true. Out of the 4 places I shop for powder Cabelas is the highest, usually by a couple bucks even when on sale.... (95% of what I buy at Cabela's comes out of the Bargain cave.................

s mac
05-14-2015, 12:18 PM
If you saw the Bass Pro home store in Springfield Mo you would know why their prices are so high, completly over the top.

dddoo7
05-14-2015, 12:19 PM
If you saw the Bass Pro home store in Springfield Mo you would know why their prices are so high, completly over the top.

Yep. And the new Memphis store is even bigger

starmac
05-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Anchorage got both a new Cabellas and a Bass Pro Shop last year. I went to the Cabellas last fall, when it was just a few months old. They had a more powder than I have seen in ages, priced at normal Alaska prices. They had a better selection of ammo than I have ever seen here.I finally made it to the Bass Pro last monday. They had leverrevolution powder, priced 5 bucks too high for even here. They were comepletely off base with their primers, att 599 a hundred or 50 a thousand. If it wasn't for the scenery in the store, it would have been a total bust, didn't leave a penny there.

jsizemore
05-14-2015, 02:06 PM
High price with limited selection. Went in the bargain cave and boots were $120 and up. They got some purdy clothes though.

yancey
05-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Wow !! I didn't expect to get this many to reply to the post. I can see now that the prices will be high, but at least we might have a better chance for Powder, Primers and and anything to do with reloading. Like others we sure have lost most of our LGS's . My Granddaughter likes to run with me on Saturday's ( fishing and going to the gun stores) Looks like we will have another stop to make.

Thanks Folks for the info on the stores .

yancey

Handloader109
05-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Got a Cabelas 25 miles away. Very few powders for pistol ever in stock. I have not found any in past two yrs. No free ship to store on powder. Have caught primers on sale occasionally, fair price. Bass pro is 4 hours away, but drive by every 6 months or so. Found powder on sale last fall and shipped to store free, they held for 3 weeks till I came by. Decent price then.....

RogerDat
05-14-2015, 08:34 PM
If you order online and have it shipped to store you can save both hazmat and shipping costs. I won't say the prices are great on a lot of stuff but Bass Pro had Unique available online a couple of times when no one else did. Cabelas 400 vibration brass cleaner is good and when on sale the kit was a great price. Shipping ate up $12 of the sale price but the store is a 100 mile drive so takes to much time and gas for me.

If you have them close I would check their online store for items I wanted and ship to store if the price without shipping or availability was better. Then when you pick order up you can fondle a drool over all the "stuff" or just pop in get your order and go. That said I have a preference for spending my money with people I like, I don't know the CEO or board members for either of those companies. They every post here?

Charley
05-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Cabela's and Bass Pro are fairly close by. Both are on the high side, especially with firearms. Did buy a Remington Model 81 at Cabela's late last year, but it was affordable ONLY because it was in an obsolete (.30 Remington) caliber. Had such treasures as a Spanish Mauser (a '98) in fair to good condition for $800.00. Bargain cave in the Cabela's has only junk that customers have damaged. Saw a Lee 9mm die there, was missing the sizer, deprimer, and seating die. Had the shell holder, FCD, and scoop, for $29.99. What a bargain!
Could be worse. Went into a local Gander Mountain looking for percussion caps. Asked about them, and was directed towards the men's clothing area...

Schrag4
05-14-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't buy a LOT at Cabelas, but they do have some pretty good sales from time to time. Less than 2 weeks ago I picked up 4k S&B SPPs for $18 per brick there. Cheapest I've seen online BEFORE shipping and hazmat is $22, so I figured I saved over 33% in comparison. Sure some stuff is overpriced, but there are actually some good deals if you look hard enough.

Can't speak for Bass Pro Shop, don't have one within 3 hours of my location.

doc1876
05-14-2015, 11:04 PM
In St. Louis, at Bass pro, I got Black powder at average price ( can't hardly find it anywhere). And at Cabellas, I got an 8 lb can of 4320 (??) For a good deal.

starmac
05-14-2015, 11:35 PM
You actually got black powder at Bass Pro??? I have seen substitutes there, but never any black.

snuffy
05-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I stopped today at Cabelas because my nephew drove me down to Milw. VA, he was nearly out of .22 rimfire. They had 5 different brands of .22. He got a 500/box of rem. yellow jacket. Limit 2 boxes even if those were 500/box!

I thought might as well check what they had for powder. Picked a pound of R-#7, $31.99, limit 2 pounds of any given type. They had some longshot and some red-dot as well. I don't know if they just got an ammo shipment, but the nephew was sure glad to finally find some ammo.