PDA

View Full Version : 1377 cheap fun

gloob
05-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Somehow, the airgun bug has bitten me. I have even shot my Venom in my tiny urban backyard a few times this month, but the noise is a bit too much. The ricochets are a little too risky, as well. I could build a better trap or backstop, but I figured any reason to buy a new gun should be seen for what it is. A sign to pull out the credit card.

Enter the 1377. It's been years since I shot multi pumps, and they're everything I remembered. Accurate and versatile. But there's one thing I remembered differently. Picking up the 1377 for the first time in 35 years, I was surprised how light and balanced it is. When I was a kid, I had to rest the forearm on something to get a good sight picture. Now, I find it balances great as a pistol.

For a small backyard, this gun is ideal! Two pumps will rocket a pellet up to 12 yards with negligible drop and very little noise. The lightweight and very cheap wadcutter pellets have almost no ricochet issues at this level of power. At short range it's just hole-on-hole, but for even a small backyard, shooting small targets one-handed provides enough of a challenge. The fixed sights make up-close adjustments very easy to make - this puts any leaf, pinecone, or carpenter bee with a backstop into fair game, whether 1 foot away, or 20. I have sniped a couple of carpenter bees right off my fence, and the pellets don't even leave a mark on the paint!

In the last few weeks since I have been shooting my airguns with renewed interest, I have found little desire to shoot my real guns. So I think this purchase might actually save me a lot of dough. OTOH, now I've got a Daisy Avanti in mind.:)

melloairman
05-13-2015, 10:42 PM
They are enjoyable . But the word cheap can go away fast . Mine is now a pest controller .Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/30111a.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/30111a.jpg.html)

gloob
05-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Nice. I'm not exactly sold on the pencil-barreled carbine look, but I can definitely see doing one with my next 1377, which is no doubt soon to follow. :)

Considering the light weight and the accuracy of this gun, your rig is no doubt very practical with the added power!

rking22
05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Melloairman ,if you don't mind the typin, what mods are "inside" that little carbine? I have one I haven't fooled with in a decade and your pic has me motivated :)

gloob
05-14-2015, 05:09 PM
My 1377 pellet mag.

After thinking long and hard about fixing an 8-shot Crosman 1077 pellet clip to the bottom of the grip, making an integral spring-retracted rod in the grip to push each pellet out, as well as having some way to positively index the clip for each round, I just did this.

It is sneakingly similar to my Venom ammo mag. I guess I'm a one-hit wonder. At least I am color-coordinated.

There's a bit of foam earplug stuffed thru/under each hole to keep the pellets skirts pushed well out. Holds the pellets great, and it's easy peezy to load even wadcutters by feel, without having to look which way is the front. Followups couldn't be any faster, short of installing a BNM repeating receiver. The pellet can be in your fingertips and into the breech in about one or two seconds after cocking the bolt.

Point shooting practice with a single-shot multi-pump? Sure, why not!?

HARRYMPOPE
05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
my refurb 1377 was $25 and shoots 1/4" at 10 meters even with the hard trigger.Im happy with it.

I too have left behind many powder burners to shoot airguns more often.I can shoot at the house up to 100 yards and indoors in the winter by the wood stove.

pworley1
05-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Nice work.

gloob
05-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks. The pellet holder takes only minutes to make with a scrap of thick, stiff leather and a drill. And the aforementioned foam ear plug. You can stiffen up a piece of leather with beeswax and a hair dryer, but this particular scrap is dense and stiff as it comes. It's a bit of lace leather, used for making laces. It's still good to dress the edges with wax to keep them from fraying.

But the holder is a little tricky to install. Fortunately, I'm a 10th dan black belt in the ways of hotmelt glue. I got it on there in one try without plugging up any of the holes. And it's on there until I want it off.

Hot air rework station not necessarily needed, but highly recommended.

melloairman
05-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Melloairman ,if you don't mind the typin, what mods are "inside" that little carbine? I have one I haven't fooled with in a decade and your pic has me motivated :)
It is stock now . But It is leaking now and I have to pump it up every time I want to shot it . I have a new stock valve for it and a heavier hammer spring to put in it .But the longer barrel helped it out . It is 7 years old now . Stock barrel 10 pumps 10.5 grain 475 fps 7.9 grain 535 . 24 inch barrel 10 pumps 10.5 grain 575 fps. Breech is a steel Crossman . Marvin

gloob
05-14-2015, 09:40 PM
It is stock now .
Well, that sufficiently answers my unasked question. Your username is very similar to:
http://mellonair.com/

texassako
05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
I almost forgot how fun they can be when I had to break mine out this spring for some vole eradication. Those suckers looked like bunnies with rat tails they were so big. Worked so well a neighbor wanted to know how I did it and if I can help her out. It was kind of funny telling her I just sat still in a chair relaxing in the evenings watching my bird feeder until they crept out from under the deck to get the spilled seed on the ground.

rking22
05-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Melloairman, hink I must get mine out and weigh options!

besk
05-15-2015, 01:22 PM
I purchased my Crosman 1377(?) new in 1964 while attending college. Used to shoot pine cones after supper (diner) for relaxation.
Still keep it handy.

TCLouis
05-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Shooting with open sights, bags front and rear, mine makes a 1 hole group (3/8" or so) with the right pellet at 12 yards (distance from kitchen window to my grackle/cowbird elimination zone), but is 1.5 inches high. A little front sight modification will solve that issue in the near future.

Trigger on mine is surprisingly "nice" no creep and fairly light.

Where does one find the scope mount for this jewel?

Thanx gloob.

Once again, Amazon is my friend and will put them in my mailbox in a day or two.

Pistol scope with sure allow me to find the most precise shooting pellet.

gloob
05-19-2015, 06:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-459MT-2-Pc-Intermount-Dovetail/dp/B000FEUUCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432032131&sr=8-1&keywords=1377+scope+mount
These clamp onto the barrel.

Or you can even buy an aftermarket breech that is dovetailed.