PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead boolit velocity, final

Lead melter
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
As a few of you know that have tried to follow this testing, I sarted the idea to see just how fast a pure lead boolit could be driven with a standard degree of accuracy. My standard was a 4" group at 100 yards.

My test results are not claiming to be conclusive...they are simply my results using one boolit, one size, one gas check, one rifle, etc. Others tests can, and I'm sure, will have different results.

As most of us know, fast pistol/shotgun powders, like Unique and Red Dot, seem to result in great accuracy with cast boolits, but pressures usually reach a max before the velocity max is reached. I attempted to find velocity max with common rifle powders.
For the sake of space, I will not try to again give the data found. This can be seen of previous posts concerning this test.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26464

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26464

With Win 748 velocity and accuracy figures were all over the spectrum. Much too inconsistant to consider when running a boolit of pure lead at velocities that would allow any accuracy. As powder charges increased, velocity levels fell more in normal ranges, but accuracy went south in a hurry.

IMR-3031 seemed to do somewhat better, with 50 yard groups looking promising, and 100 yard groups at or very near the 4" standard I stated with 3 reduced loads.

AA-5744 increased the accuracy level, but with somewhat lower velocities. Also promising were 3 reduced loads that progressed to the 100 yard mark with accuracy right at the standard level.

H-4198 was the overall winner of the tested powders. Fantastic accuracy from the lowest end of published data, to the last load at 100 yards that met accuracy standard even though the load was over published data.

What resulted, at least in my findings, is that the pure lead boolit seems able to maintain accuracy up to the 1400-1450 fps level. After that point is reached, the accuracy levels become verry erratic. Some groups fell within the standard, but with no real degree of consistancy.

"The Reload Bench" site gives powder burn rates from fastest to slowest with a numeral assigned to each...1 being fastest. Looking at this chart I find that ;
Red Dot-10
Unique-35
AA5744-78
H-4198-86
IMR-3031-94
Win 748-103
It appears that powder burn rate has a lot to do with performance on pure lead boolits.
Other powders that fall within this range are;
Herco-45
2400-67
H110-71
Win 296-72
H-4227-76
All of which may be found to be suitable powders, although load density problems may arise with H110 and 296.

I'm sure boolit fit, nose design, lube, load density, boolit diameter, rifling, shooter, the list could go on forever, all will have a bearing on other tests. The only thing I tried to do was "dance with the one that brought me".

End result: Did I just reinvent the wheel, as the old buff' hunters fired huge chunks of lead at the same velocities without any real problems?
Is there a place for my findings? Possibly. Small game hunters, pest erradication, instances where expansion is paramount, fur harvesters, old time hunt re-enactments, links with the past? I don't know, you'll have to decide for yourself.

One intersting note; With the particular boolit I chose, I never had any real problem with leading at any velocity. The GC seems to have eliminated that issue. Would a PB boolit do as well? You decide that as well.

dubber123
03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I recently started fooling with some softer alloys, and knowing an approximate ceiling for pure is helpful. BTW, I shoot a 450 gr. pure lead slug out of my .54 cal muzzle loader with great accuracy. Vel is 1,425 fps, right in line with your findings.

Frank V
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your information. I think the black powder cartridge Shilouette competitors use pure lead, or nearly pure, with their rifles. Frank

joeb33050
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I'd like to put this test into the book. May I?
If yes, please help me clarify the range for each test. And I need your name for proper attribution.
Thanks;
joe b.

colbyjack
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
how would pure lead do in a 1911? -chris

Jon K
04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Lead melter,

After reading your previous posts, here's my $.02 - if you'e looking for more speed.

Try sizing .309/.310/.311/.312

Try Varget, 748, 4064 & 3031 in that order for accuraccy & velocity.

First try the different sizes with your best load, an see which size shoots best, then try the different powders til you find where it does best for speed & accuracy. Most levers like .001-.002 over groove dia. but no rhyme or reason they are not all the same. The gun will tell you which it likes the best.

I feel you aren't getting the most out of your gun & tests by shooting a .308 boolit. I haven't tried pure lead, but 20:1/30:1 and got up to 2,000 fps w/200m accuracy.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Ricochet
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
how would pure lead do in a 1911? -chrisI shoot nearly pure lead in my Government Model most of the time, with no problems.

Lead melter
04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Jon K,
No doubt you are correct in your assuption and results. My testing was not at all meant to be entirely conclusive, nor was it simply a quest for more speed, but was limited to what powders, lube, sizers, etc. that I had on hand, and to find the threshold, if possible, where a plain lead bullet becomes unstable. I made the test results simply for my own info, and posted them for anyone else to have as a basis of comparison or a starting point to continue further tests.
The unfortunate part of the whole scenario is that my local shooting range closed its doors forever in late March, thereby curtailing any continued tests at this time. A nearby hunting preserve has opened its doors to all those affected, but as of yet there is no rifle nor pistol range on the property. As I understand, plans are in the making for such.
If possible, I would like to see some of your particulars from the 20:1 and 30:1 alloys along with size, lube, powder charge, etc. The entire topic intrigues me.

joeb, PM sent regarding request.