PDA

View Full Version : Turkey with cast bullet

condor257
05-13-2015, 10:33 AM
[attach=config]139417[/attac. Despite the weather our Turkey season wasn't horrible, with snow, rain, wind, sun, My girlfriend and I managed to get two birds down in the same high Sierra mountain area. She shot hers on Saturday and I got this one on Sunday, we both used the Airforce Condor that I converted to shoot .257 bullets.
The Sunday I got my bird we had snow mostly all morning crazy turkey weather, When the day before it was sunny and in the 70's, I feel fortunate to have taken this bird with bullets I had cast myself, Im using the RCBS 25-85-cm with range lead it drops bullets at 89.9 grains and this is what I have been using, since I have a bunch of it recovered from a local range, with the new lead laws coming along starting next year for turkey I have been working on leadfree alloy using roto metals alloy, this stuff is spendy so my testing has been limited, it shoots well from my gun but doesn't deform like lead after shooting it through 2x4's the bullets I have recovered show some flaking around the tip but no expansion, lead will do a slight expansion but not much at airgun velocity.

white eagle
05-13-2015, 11:23 AM
wow
excellent
wish I could use a rifle to hunt turkey's but we are limited to shotguns
very nice score for the both of you

condor257
05-13-2015, 11:27 AM
We are allowed to use air rifles .20 and up I have never taken one with a shotgun, or my bow although I haven't honestly taken them much.

Mtnfolk75
05-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Nice bird, congrats to both of you. We have been stuck with the Lead-Free **** since 2007 or 2008 ........:x

condor257
05-13-2015, 12:58 PM
The thing is I went to fish and wildlife site frequent questions portion, and it says pellet guns will be exempt from the lead ban, but im still getting a plan together incase that changes.

FergusonTO35
05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I wish Kentucky was so enlightened as to allow us to use rifles or handguns for turkey, even if only for a small season separate from shotgun and bow. I wish you success in finding a lead free casting alloy. I think that it would be a great idea to have substitutes available even if the law doesn't change, given how lead is being phased out pretty much everywhere. I will not use wheel weights anymore unless I know for a fact they are old. Too many of them nowadays are zinc but look just like lead.

pworley1
05-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Very nice bird.

roverboy
05-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Congratulations. Getting one with a air rifle is pretty neat. We can't use any kind of rifle here. Only shotguns and bows.

AK4570
05-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Very nicely done! And with an air rifle and boolits too... that's amazing!

Congrats.
John

AZ-JIM
05-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Awesome, way to go! Glad you got one, and even better with cast in CA.
In typical CA lawmaker fashion

The thing is I went to fish and wildlife site frequent questions portion, and it says pellet guns will be exempt from the lead ban, but im still getting a plan together incase that changes.

The non logic there never ceases to amaze me. Your evil lead bullets will make the Condor extinct and besides, it's yucky for the environment. But its ok to shoot lead from an airgun :veryconfu

az-jim