PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up to Star Sizer Die Question

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I am having a devil of a time finding the right depth to punch down the 358156 into a Star sizer die. I have the top lube 3 rows OPEN, and I am looking to put lube just ahead of the gas check (subject to change per an earlier post), the lube groove and the lower crimp groove.
In placing the bullet alongside the die to see where the lube will go, it looks like it will all line up. I spent a half hour of frustrating adjustments to get it to work, but it didn't. Lube on the nose, lube on the base, no lube, too much lube, everything. Lube everywhere other than where I want it. Heat is OK as is pressure - that has not changed. I just did 4000 or so 9mm bullets so I know that the sizer works fine. This issue is a simple alignment with the lube holes issue.
Any suggestions?....this is really getting frustrating.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
either that or you have some leakage by your plugs. Also just because the pressure and temp worked with a lube for one bullet design doesnt mean it doesnt need to be tweaked a little for a differnt one.

Cherokee
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Fish - been there. I found the die holes and lube grooves just didn't match well enough, close but not good enough. I went to my Lyman sizer, but you might have to get a custom size die. If someone else has an answer for you, I'm interested too.

cbrick
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I am having a devil of a time finding the right depth to punch down the 358156 into a Star sizer die. I have the top lube 3 rows OPEN,

Kinda sounds like you answered your own question. All three lube rows OPEN? I've never needed nearly that much lube flowing even with three lube grooves. Try using just one lube row and plug ALL of the other holes.

BTW, 358156 is a ONE lube groove bullet with TWO crimp grooves.

Rick

FISH4BUGS
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Kinda sounds like you answered your own question. All three lube rows OPEN? I've never needed nearly that much lube flowing even with three lube grooves. Try using just one lube row and plug ALL of the other holes.

BTW, 358156 is a ONE lube groove bullet with TWO crimp grooves.

Rick
I agree about the ONE lube groove. HOWEVER, there is a space in front of the gas check that can receive lube and the lower crimp groove CAN be lubed per earlier conversations on this board. I am trying to make it do that. If I can't, believe me, I will do something else. I do not need this kind of frustration!
So maybe the question should be this: CAN I do what I want to do, which is a bit of lube in front of the gas check and in the lower crimp groove??

cbrick
03-17-2008, 03:04 PM
FISH4BUGS, Probably but I wouldn't think with three lube rows open, that has to be messy. I have a 30 cal boolit that one of the two lube grooves doesn't line up perfectly with the die I have and I compromise with the lube holes lined up 1/2 on each lube groove. When operating the lube pump I pause for a second to assure enough lube flows. Haven't found a boolit or combination of lube grooves yet that I can't properly lube in the Star and I've been using it for 20+ years on 50+ different moulds.

My 357 die always leaves the gas check shank above the check lubed. I have never considered this to be a positive or a negative, just doesn't add enough lube to matter. All of this makes me wonder what lube you are using that you think you need all of this "extra" lube. Are you getting leading with this boolit?

I would plug off all of the holes and rows that do not line up with the lube groove and the lower crimp groove. Don't run the lube temp any higher than is needed to allow lube to flow (barely). Hotter lube will flow more, easier and faster than what may be needed and again, messy.

There is definitely a learning curve for anything that's worthwhile, frustration will slow or prevent success.

Rick