PDA

View Full Version : anyone recently purchased a Lee Load-Master ?

LAKEMASTER
05-12-2015, 10:53 PM
im looking into a loadmaster and all the issues people have had... a lot of them seem to have flawless presses and have purchased them in the last year or 2.

im interested to know if anyone has purchased a load master and has had no problems ?

im very mechanically inclined and im not scared of smoothing out parts. it also helps that im a machinist ;-)

jcren
05-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I don't have one (yet) but most of the early generation problems problems were actually were problems reportedly due to too smooth of travel of the she'll plate assy . It would spin so easily that quick quick/rough handling would cause it to skip time . Supposibly a little knurling and heavy grease in the right spot cured the newer one's .

Sorry for the funky first sentence, it won't edit for some reason .

LAKEMASTER
05-12-2015, 11:24 PM
ive decided to go straight into the progressive life and later buy a single...

the big thing (for me) is the quick case feeding setup because i plan to deprime before tumbling.. i think i can make it simple enough and cost effective to have extra turrets to de-prime,trim,and size all on 1 press.

i like to tinker and modify so im excited about making a 1 of a kind loadmaster..

im waiting for the "yeah you better like to fix things cause these presses are trash" responses lolol

LAKEMASTER
05-12-2015, 11:25 PM
ive decided to go straight into the progressive life and later buy a single...

The big thing (for me) is the quick case feeding setup because i plan to deprime before tumbling.. I think i can make it simple enough and cost effective to have extra turrets to de-prime,trim,and size all on 1 press.

I like to tinker and modify so im excited about making a 1 of a kind loadmaster..

Im waiting for the "yeah you better like to fix things cause these presses are trash" responses lolol

size bullets!!!!!!!!!not brass

berksglh
05-13-2015, 10:17 AM
I have a loadmaster for 45acp. Love it. Owned a Rockchucker for 10-15 years. Owned a Lee pro1000 for 9mm 8 years ago?

Only issue i had with the 1000 was when you ran out of primers, powder plugged up the priming area then it was a mess to clean. Keep the primer tray full, it ran flawlessly.

The loadmaster is hands down a better machine then the 1000 was. It primes on the upstroke, so when you get brainless and run iut of primers, the powder just falls down the primer catch tube. After 4-6 cycles, you notice your mistake and takes a minute to get going again.

I want to add a empty tray detector some day. Other then that I love it. Over 3000 rnds through it with no real issues.

One other issue, with 45acp only, you have to segregate large primer brass from small so you don't try to large prime a small pocket. But that's not to bad to clean.

Manual says something about using specific brand of primers. Ive used winchester, CCI and Rem large pistol with no issues.

Just looked into converting mine to 9mm to load for a buddy. Cost about $70 for conversion to small primers and a different caliber, plus a set of dies.

berksglh
05-13-2015, 10:19 AM
Purchased it early 2015?

1bluehorse
05-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Evidently you only want to hear "good" reviews so I won't say anything "bad"....however, think about this....there's only ONE press that I know of that has an entire forum dedicated to "fix" the problems with it.....problems, that's plural......IF...you run pre-primed cases through it you will have fewer issues.....I have owned three of them in the past....one worked pretty good.....but give it a try, maybe yours will be one of the positive reviews....

dudel
05-13-2015, 12:06 PM
im very mechanically inclined and im not scared of smoothing out parts. it also helps that im a machinist ;-)

The question is, do you want to spend your time "smoothing out parts"; or making ammo.;-)

There are choices which will let you spend more time making ammo; and less time fiddling with the machine. All depends on what your goals are, and what you enjoy doing. I'd rather make ammo, but that's just me (actually, I'd rather shoot it, so making it is something I try to spend less time doing).

berksglh
05-13-2015, 01:23 PM
I must be lucky. I hear so many negative things about the Lee progressive presses. The blue stuff was just too pricey for me. My loadmaster took about 15 minutes to assemble and adjust the dies before i made the first round. Checked charge weights on first 10, then slammed out 100 rnds in no time, no problem.

I flat out love mine. Spent the money saved on powder and primers.

If you like blue, get a blue press, if your on the fence, try the lee, you'll like it.

Three44s
05-13-2015, 02:34 PM
As I recall, the Loadmaster is a five station press?

That caused me to look at it very closely.

I went with the LNL AP because it covered more cartridges in it's shell plate selection but I thought long and hard about it vs. the Lee LM.

The reason five stations are important to me is so I can have a powder cop in the mix.

I note that primer handling can be an issue with the Lee's in general.

And it's fair to say that primers get out of wack with the LNL on occasion as well.

I own a lot of everyone's equipment except the "blue" ones ........ just have not gotten there yet ...... maybe someday? But I would rather look at the choices we handloaders are blessed with rather than try to tear down something I don't like for whatever reason that may be .......

My LNL required a very brief break in period ........ it was very painless and helped me understand it better as well. I think if you polled new Jaguar owners .............

............ they have a break in with that machine as well?

Best regards

Three 44s

44Vaquero
05-13-2015, 04:36 PM
If you are FB come and join our page "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment" We have over 10K Members dedicated to using Lee equipment. Several of our members run more than 1 or 2 Load Masters and one runs 6 now I think?

LAKEMASTER
05-13-2015, 06:51 PM
i have no problem fiddling with things to save big $. thats just me. ive always been DIY. i cant justify the $ a blue green or red press costs...

ill have to find the fb page.

VHoward
05-13-2015, 08:41 PM
The loadmaster is not a true 5 station press as one station is taken up for just priming. So if you plan on seating and crimping in different stations, there is no room for a powder check die. I got rid of mine because of issues with the priming system. I keep hearing rumors that Lee has improved the priming system. There is also Mike's Reloading Bench who offers many improvements for the loadmaster. http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/index.html

kryogen
05-13-2015, 09:00 PM
The priming does not work reliably. It does not. I have tried every fix and had the lastest priming arm from lee, it still didnt work.
I'm getting rid of it for a dillon.
Please do yourself a favor and get a press that works.

If you manually run pre-primed brass into it to powder/seat/crimp, it actually works ok. That's what I do.
But that involves sizing and priming manually on a single stage, which kind of defeats the purpose of progressive reloading.

Plus, a 650 with a decap toolhead and case feeder is quite faster to just quickly deprime cases before tumbling.

44Vaquero
05-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Some people learn how to use their equipment and others don't! Beesdad runs 5 of them! I have run mine since they came out!

[]139471[/ATTACH]

shoot-n-lead
05-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Evidently you only want to hear "good" reviews so I won't say anything "bad"....however, think about this....there's only ONE press that I know of that has an entire forum dedicated to "fix" the problems with it.....problems, that's plural......IF...you run pre-primed cases through it you will have fewer issues.....I have owned three of them in the past....one worked pretty good.....but give it a try, maybe yours will be one of the positive reviews....

Bingo...despite the comments of people "not learning to use their equipment"...

But, I suggest your getting one and giving it a go...it may be one of the few good one's and you will be pleased with it.

VHoward
05-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I had issues with the priming system before Mike at Mikes Reloading Bench came along with his solution for the priming system. If I still had the loadmaster, I would get it back out and get Mikes fixed priming system for it. I, however, sold it and bought a Dillon Square Deal b and later sold it and bought the Dillon XL650. I have had a couple of issues with the XL650, but a call to Dillon got me a solution to each and it stays fixed. The Dillon costs a little more than double the loadmaster does, but the Dillon came with a lifetime warranty where any part on it that breaks or wears out gets replaced free of charge.

Both Lee and Dillon are American companies that make their products here in the States and the Loadmaster has potential to become a great press for the price if Lee would correct the problems with it. Instead there are aftermarket solutions to fix the problems. By the time you buy the loadmaster and then buy the aftermarket solutions to make it run reliably, are you really saving any money? And the Lee only comes with a stated 2 year warranty although Lee would probably cover it IF you got the right person at Lee on the phone that day.

Go ahead and buy the loadmaster. You and it may just "click" and you won't have any problems with it. If you don't have good luck with it, you can recover most of your money for it on E-Bay.

kryogen
05-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Some people learn how to use their equipment and others don't! Beesdad runs 5 of them! I have run mine since they came out!
[]139471[/ATTACH]

Yup, but one XL650 with feeder and all quick change kits would do the same job, easier, more reliably.

Maximumbob54
05-14-2015, 09:46 AM
I too went with the LNL AP because the Loadmaster dedicates one of the five stations. So technically it's a five station press but one station is only for priming and nothing else. So I get to use a powder check die. But... I haven't found a powder check die yet that really works well with most (not all) pistol powder drops. You MUST use a bulky powder. If you use AA #2, Titegroup, Bullseye, or anything similar then the check dies don't notice until you drop a triple or even quadruple charge. So there's that. And I can use a bullet feed die in my LNL AP, but Lee also offers that as a kit upgrade. So there's that too. I'm at the point now where the single largest redeeming factor in the LNL AP is I feel like of the progressive presses I've tried it is the easiest to do a full caliber change. It takes a few minutes but there's nothing difficult about it.

44Vaquero
05-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Yup, but one XL650 with feeder and all quick change kits would do the same job, easier, more reliably.

But the point you are missing Kryogen is Beesdad is perfectly happy running five separate machines that all work very well for him. His total cost is perhaps $1200.00 as compared to your suggestion XL650 witch kits out at $900.00 plus after adding a case feeder and each quick change caliber sets you back $175.00!

"Easier and more reliably" is a subjective opinion. I have been running my Load Master since 1992 with minimal down time and rarely if ever a problem with the priming system! In fact I am still using the original priming system as supplied by Lee. I have broken 2 case slides and 2 priming pins in that time!

YMMV, but for me my original purchase cost of $192.00, My Load Master has been a tremendous value that has paid for itself many times over.

1bluehorse
05-14-2015, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=44Vaquero;3249804]

"Easier and more reliably" is a subjective opinion. I have been running my Load Master since 1992 with minimal down time and rarely if ever a problem with the priming system! In fact I am still using the original priming system as supplied by Lee. I have broken 2 case slides and 2 priming pins in that time!

But herein lies the problem.....you have a LM that's worked well for you for many years with rarely a problem (your words)....so to your way of thinking (understandably so) this would be the norm and all LM's are this way, that all the "bad" reviews are from others that (as worded above) are either to stupid or won't take the time to learn how to run it....both wrong assumptions (I personally can completely disassemble, clean, repair and re-assemble a LM press in a couple hours, done it, more than once) ....ALL the statements from other opinions can't be wrong....and you know they're not....some of these units are simply a PITA and need serious help....If you run a LM you know who "Magic Mike" is, read what his critique of the LM press is.....it's not to glowing either, but he has the talent to make it work with his after market "fixes"....o.k., fine, but when you add the items from him into the cost of a new LM you're in Hornady LNL territory.....it's all a moot point anyway as from what I've seen in the past, when someone asks about a Load Master press they've already decided to purchase one and all they're looking for is someone to tell them that "My LM press is great, no problems" regardless of any other opinion.....that's my opinion.....

kfarm
05-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Worked on mine about as much as I loaded. Gave it away and went with a lnl.

44Vaquero
05-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Ah yes, the vocal minority speaks louder there fore it must be true! That is also assumption on your part 1bluehorse, given that on average 1 dissatisfied customer complains to 10 or more people and 13% tell 20 or more of their negative experience. This inflates the perception of negative experiences and the testimony of all other users (I.E. people like myself and Beesdad etc., is written off as a fluke and dumb luck? Really? I think not!

I have also repaired and adjusted a great many Load Masters and Pro-1000's over the years and have yet to find one that was impossible to get up and running correctly. Perhaps, it was because when I started using these tools there was no such thing as the "Internet", I was on my own and limited to phone calls and letters to Lee.

Load Masters and Pro-1000's do require adjustments and Tweaking to run correctly, in most cases once set up and adjusted properly function quite well.

On our Face Book (Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment) page we have over 10,000 members and continually help many new members set up their equipment with different degrees of success. Again YMMV

dudel
05-14-2015, 03:19 PM
I have also repaired and adjusted a great many Load Masters and Pro-1000's over the years and have yet to find one that was impossible to get up and running correctly. Perhaps, it was because when I started using these tools there was no such thing as the "Internet", I was on my own and limited to phone calls and letters to Lee.

Load Masters and Pro-1000's do require adjustments and Tweaking to run correctly, in most cases once set up and adjusted properly function quite well.

On our Face Book (Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment) page we have over 10,000 members and continually help many new members set up their equipment with different degrees of success. Again YMMV

Are you just so close to the problem that you don't see it?

"I have also repaired and adjusted a great many Load Masters and Pro-1000's over the years"
"Load Masters and Pro-1000's do require adjustments and Tweaking to run correctly"
"On our Face Book (Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment) page we have over 10,000 members and continually help many new members set up their equipment"

It's admirable how you provide Lee customer support at no charge. I've no doubt you (and a few others) can get a LM up and running; but from your own words; many others can't by themselves.

Some continue to try, some succeed, but it seems that a not insignificant number just move on to something else. Buddy of mine could not get his LM to run. Chucked it and got a different color, and now the "mechanically inept" person, can now load ammo without a hitch. Funny how the "inept" become "ept" by just changing equipment brands.

I don't think it's just a "vocal minority" complaining about problems.

44Vaquero
05-14-2015, 03:44 PM
A great many words are often attributed to me as having said them, when in fact I have not. I never said or accused anyone of being mechanically inept, what I did say was: "I have also repaired and adjusted a great many Load Masters and Pro-1000's over the years and have yet to find one that was impossible to get up and running correctly. Perhaps, it was because when I started using these tools there was no such thing as the "Internet", I was on my own and limited to phone calls and letters to Lee.

"It's admirable how you provide Lee customer support at no charge."
Snarky comments not withstanding: I am a proud member of the shooting community in good standing who takes pride in being of assistance to my fellow reloaders. You apparently see that as opportunity for not so subtle ridicule, that's a very sad and divisive attitude. Our FB page is a solid ever growing group of people working together to provide solution oriented answers to people using Lee Equipment.

05-14-2015, 04:24 PM
I haven't found a powder check die yet that really works well with most (not all) pistol powder drops. You MUST use a bulky powder. If you use AA #2, Titegroup, Bullseye, or anything similar then the check dies don't notice until you drop a triple or even quadruple charge.

Have you used a RCBS lock out die?
I run one on my LNL, using AP-50 or AS-50 (international) in 38spl or 9mm it locks up on anything out by 1grain or more. Not perfect but using light charges (2.5grains) then the lightest that can get through is 1.5 and the heaviest 3.5. No chance of a squib and no chance of a double charge.

It will only work with pistol cals from 9mm/38cal up.

VHoward
05-14-2015, 08:21 PM

[]139471[/ATTACH]
Some people might interpret this to say that they are mechanically inept.

A great many words are often attributed to me as having said them, when in fact I have not. I never said or accused anyone of being mechanically inept, what I did say was: "I have also repaired and adjusted a great many Load Masters and Pro-1000's over the years and have yet to find one that was impossible to get up and running correctly. Perhaps, it was because when I started using these tools there was no such thing as the "Internet", I was on my own and limited to phone calls and letters to Lee.

Snarky comments not withstanding: I am a proud member of the shooting community in good standing who takes pride in being of assistance to my fellow reloaders. You apparently see that as opportunity for not so subtle ridicule, that's a very sad and divisive attitude. Our FB page is a solid ever growing group of people working together to provide solution oriented answers to people using Lee Equipment.
I for one am mechanically inclined and have no problem working on my machines. But after trying many solutions offered to me through several forums including the loadmaster video's forum, I gave up on the priming system problems I had and sold the loadmaster.

birddog
05-14-2015, 09:49 PM
I've got both the Lee and Dillon. The Lee is a good piece of equipment and the Dillon is better! I've called on both parties for customer service and this one has no equal. Yes it was my fault on both, but when I called for support that is where everything came very clear. Dillon is far and alone the best in their class for service. Yes I still buy Lee products and will continue to do so. And some day soon I'll buy a 650 but thats my 2 cents
Charlie

chucky64
05-14-2015, 10:31 PM
The new and old priming systems on my LM have been a source of many problems for me. I have been prepriming all my cases for the last five years. I still use it for reloading 45acp and 357sig. I have transitioned 9mm, 40/10mm and 38/357 to a RCBS pro 2000. The case feeder on the Lee is simple and effective and I commend Lee for helping keep cost down. When a full tray of primers detonated on me is
the time I started prepriming all the cases for the LM. On last last LM tale, I had a bad casting and the frame of the press cracked and broke while reloading, it was still under warranty and Lee replaced the press frame.

dragonrider
05-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Add me to the vocal minority, I bought an LM when they came out, Six months later and two returns to Lee and I was very happy to sell it for half of what I paid for it. I got no useable ammo from it. COL was never uniform, would vary by as much as .050", unacceptable. Priming on the upstroke when everything else is happening at the same time is unacceptable, and IMO dangerous. Primers were mostly upside down or sideways. I will not buy another press that need rebuilding in order to function correctly. Those of you say to buy the press and then buy Magic Mikes fixes in order to make it function. I wonder if you realize what you are saying. The machining tolerances on LM's could be MUCH better I believe that alone would solve many problems. Change the primer system to work on the down stroke like all or at least most other reliable presses and I would consider buying another. But until then my Dillon 650 is worth ever penny that I did not pay for it. I got it free under not so desireable circumstances. Lee make a lot of stuff that I buy and enjoy quite a bit however, they cannot make enough LM's to give me in trade for my 650. Smooth and continuous operation after adjusting the dies is worth a lot.
Let me also say that I have much Lee equipment and it all functions quite well and I like it. I especially like my Lee Challenger press, it is the press I take to the range when tweaking loads.'

I must apologize I did not intend to write so much it just came out so fast.

MacFan
05-15-2015, 07:47 AM
I've had a LM for about a year and load 45 acp, 7.62x39 and .50ae with it. When I first got it I read the info at Loadmaster Videos. I probably spent 3 days of spare time (8 hours total?) setting it up the first time making sure each station was perfect. I've had no trouble and have had to make no adjustments. I have a turret for each caliber and go through 200 to 250 combined rounds a week at the range.
I did not have any Magic Mike's mods made but did benefit from the advice at his site.

I get the strong impression that blue users take their press out of the box and instantly start loading perfect rounds every time, forever.
I unfortunately had to set my LM up. A huge disadvantage.

gtgeorge
05-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Count me as a Newbie LM owner as I have had mine a few months. Bought as 45acp and did great loading them after initial setup. Changed over to 38 which also ran great. 9mm was my problem child and experienced a few problems. I am still up in the air whether it is a good purchase or not. I was very pleased with how fast a bucket of ammo could be turned out when it is running smoothly.

dudel
05-15-2015, 08:01 AM

No snark intended. It is truly good of you to support those who can't seem to get their machine working. We need more in the reloading world, we need more people shooting, it's all good. People getting turned off to reloading, generally means less people shooting (or people shooting less), and that's not good for the sport. It's only good for the anti agenda.

Just don't be too surprised, when people trade their Lee equipment for other colors. FWIW, I don't see as many threads about people trading their Dillon, Hornady or RCBS for a Lee; as I see about people trading their Lee for a Dillon, Hornady or RCBS. Just in this thread alone, people who had Lee and moved on, outnumber those who switched to Lee.

Lee has done a great service to the sport providing low cost equipment. I probably would not be casting had it not been for a Lee 20-4, Lee molds, Lee ALOX and Lee push through sizers. However, not everything Lee makes is golden, they've laid a few turds along the way. Mythbusters showed you could polish a turd; but it's not (to me) a pleasant way to spend time.

kryogen
05-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Priming on the upstroke is one of the reasons that scares me a bit away from the 1050.
Imo, feeling the primer seat allows you to "check" the primer pocket, and then you arent actually seating a primer on the down stroke while everything else happens.
But then, I have some mil crimped brass and the 1050 would just make it all easier.
But to keep the cost affordable, I would have to just switch dies on one toolhead for the 1050, and adjust while I could afford multiple toolheads for the 650.

JesterGrin_1
05-16-2015, 06:23 AM
What the hey I will chime in as a newbie.

I have not been loading all that long next to many members here. And newbie to the fact that I have never used a progressive press of any sort. But like the OP I have been contemplating the purchase of one. And like many the Lee LM was a press I was looking at. And thus like many others I started to research the press on the open internet along with this good forum where there are some posts I believe by Magic Mike. And while Magic Mike is genuinely interested in helping others to upgrade the Lee products for better or some might even say normal performance some of his products to help make the Lee product operate as it should from the factory is expensive such as his new turret heads to help with C.O.L as I have read in other places along with here that it is one of the big problems with the Lee LM.

I will say that I believe that there are probably many that are happy with there Lee LM but also due to the simple fact that there is a web site with what 10,000 members there has to be some problems with the Lee system. It kinda makes you feel like Clint Eastwood is pointing a .44 Magnum at you and saying well do you feel lucky. If so purchase a Lee LM and test out your luck theory lol.

But I am still a little ok allot hard headed so I am still a little open to the idea of a Lee Lm lol.

But for right now I am working to get an RCBS Piggyback II up and running. As I have not heard of any real problems with the old press other than like many others priming lol. And to be honest I would rather prime off of the press as I use an RCBS hand primer so I can feel the primer seat and it gives me one more chance to glance over the brass for problems and clean primer pockets one last time before loading.

But again all of this is from an outsider to progressive presses of any sort.

rtracy2001
05-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Getting back to the original question, Yes, I have purchased a LM in the last two years (my first). I have had one small problem with the primer feed. I was cycling the press too slow and the primers bridged. Once I learned that you don't operate a LM that slowly, I have never had the problem again.

I have since converted to another caliber (I now run .223 and 40S&W) and am collecting the parts to convert to 30 carbine too.

To answer the question, even with the caliber conversions, the press has performed flawlessly (the operator, not so much).

zomby woof
05-17-2015, 09:27 PM
25 year LM owner here. I now have two. I know pretty much all it's weaknesses. I've done a few of internet mods and they work well. If you are mechanically inclined you should be good, especially with the internet. I recently got a friend involved in shooting. He bought a LM. He only loads 45acp but he has no problems. My powder check is my eye. I've used station two with an M die. Great press

seaboltm
05-17-2015, 09:38 PM
I bought one two years ago. Works fine. Priming system works OK with mine. Some problems, but maybe 1 in 100 or less. The Lee powder measure works good with some powders, but not Bullseye or small charges of Unique. There is a way to attach a Hornady powder measure. I loaded 500 rounds of 45 ACP in less than an hour. Used a Lee universal deprimer and the case feed set up to deprime 1000 30 carbine cases in less than an hour.

tiger762
05-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Loadmaster here. If someone has three-dimensional mechanical imagination, he'll be fine. There's an external cammed surface along which a slider makes all the timing happen. I had to loosen the 7/16" nut in the very bottom of the press, and twist everything to make sure the slider was flush against the cam surface. Based on what people describe, I am certain that is what a lot of problems come from. The other thing is to twist the slider on its square shaft in or out so that after the 72 degree advance, the shell plate is solidly in position. Allowing it to be loose, means there will be some phase error. That is where priming problems come from.

If you're the kind of sort that can put together an 8 cylinder engine, setting the cam/crank/ignition timing, you'll easily set up an LM. Mine's set up in 45acp right now. Have done 5000 rounds so far. I choose to avoid priming 'cuz I have brass that is a mix of small and large primer. Some headstamps (WINCHESTER in particular) are so tight, I'd rather do it by hand. Also, I wet-tumbled after sizing / depriming to get the primer pockets as well. So I use the LM to flare, add powder, seat bullet. I use an RCBS bullet feeder die.

LAKEMASTER
05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
see, my main desire for the LM is to deprime before tumbling... the case collator makes me warm and n fuzzy inside knowing i can swiftly deprime dirty brass and clean. the turret will make it easy for me to change calibers super fast, and judging by how cheap powder measures are i could just set up each turret for xxx caliber and store away ready to load... so other then the shell plates and the $13 per turret (ebay) it seems cheap and simple...

rtracy2001
05-19-2015, 10:20 PM
see, my main desire for the LM is to deprime before tumbling... the case collator makes me warm and n fuzzy inside knowing i can swiftly deprime dirty brass and clean. the turret will make it easy for me to change calibers super fast, and judging by how cheap powder measures are i could just set up each turret for xxx caliber and store away ready to load... so other then the shell plates and the $13 per turret (ebay) it seems cheap and simple...

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Loadmaster (based on my experience with it) but depriming before tumbling seems a waste of a progressive press. A creative individual could adapt the case collator to be a stand alone bench unit and use a cheap single stage press for depriming. If you want a press just for depriming before tumbling, then the LM is probably not the best choice. If you want a cheap progressive and also intend to use it for depriming, then that is a different story.

LAKEMASTER
05-19-2015, 10:54 PM
i should have known better then to ask about 1 press and only 1 press. im not shocked it turned into a debate. over the last couple years ive noticed its all or nothing with a loadmaster, you either buy a lee boat-anchor-master or you buy an amazing reloading press.

i think what ill do is buy one and test it straight out of the box. since 2012 ive been looking at all the stuff people fine tune and had a few ideas in mind. in the back of my head i always wonder if the problems are user error or misunderstanding. like the primer system not (priming) itsself. silly things like that.

today my pressure washer wouldnt start, took me a few minutes to realize it was out of fuel.

i didnt go online and say honda pressure washers have fuel system issues =)

LAKEMASTER
05-19-2015, 10:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Loadmaster (based on my experience with it) but depriming before tumbling seems a waste of a progressive press. A creative individual could adapt the case collator to be a stand alone bench unit and use a cheap single stage press for depriming. If you want a press just for depriming before tumbling, then the LM is probably not the best choice. If you want a cheap progressive and also intend to use it for depriming, then that is a different story.

last part was right on target.

i reread that post and it is poorly written. (i was at work)

MaryB
05-20-2015, 02:48 AM
Question for a loadmaster owner who also has the perfect powder measure. How well does it work? Probably ordering a Loadmaster next week but I hate the auto disc setup. I put a PPM on my turret press because of that, added a spring for a return instead of the goofy chain, it works pretty well.

dudel
05-20-2015, 07:52 AM

I'm going to stay away from brands on this.

Depriming is the dirtiest process of all. Using your primary press for depriming might not be the best idea. Dirty presses tend to have more issue than clean ones.

I also like to deprime before tumbling. I deprime on a small Lee C press with a Lee universal decapper. It get's dirty as all get out; but I don't care. It's cheap and easy to replace. The primary presses stay much cleaner as a result.

Now if you're going to deprime before tumbling, will you be using a universal decapper or your sizing die. Using the sizing die before cleaning sort of defeats the purpose, because now your're running dirty brass through your sizing die. If you use a universal decapper, then you will still need to size. If you size on your main press, you're putting clean brass into a dirty press. Generally, dirty presses don't prime as well as clean ones, or put another way, if your press is prone to priming issues, dirt will not make it perform better.

Plenty of people deprime on their main press; but there are many others who deprime on a different press to keep the main press cleaner. Lots of choices.

tiger762
05-20-2015, 07:59 AM
That's probably the most trouble-free process within the LM. I still look for the reflection of powder off the inside wall of the brass as it circles around. I have never had it not drop powder. The two brass screws started to loosen once. I noticed loose flakes of Titegroup around the top of the turret. Tightened the brass screws and didn't happen again. I do like to do a spot weight check every once in a while. Been loading tons of 200gr 45acp with 4.8gr of TG lately.

Question for a loadmaster owner who also has the perfect powder measure. How well does it work? Probably ordering a Loadmaster next week but I hate the auto disc setup. I put a PPM on my turret press because of that, added a spring for a return instead of the goofy chain, it works pretty well.

tiger762
05-20-2015, 08:06 AM
People are immature. They get emotionally attached to "their" favorite car/boat/plane/rifle/TV/whatever and take it personally when someone doesn't share their enthusiasm. I don't care about that. I'm using already-primed 45acp in mine because the brass I have is 10+ different headstamps, with SP and LP and maybe even a few 45GAP in there as well. It's a shame, but I have had to size/deprime on a Lee C-press, then wet tumble, then hand prime to avoid the inevitable hijinks that would ensue if I threw it down the hatch of a progressive press. Would be constantly stopping and clearing jams. When someone sells a batch of brass that is all the same headstamp (from a PD indoor range, for instance) it's worth paying a little extra for....

i should have known better then to ask about 1 press and only 1 press.

r1kk1
05-20-2015, 10:36 AM
It's a shame, but I have had to size/deprime on a Lee C-press, then wet tumble, then hand prime to avoid the inevitable hijinks that would ensue if I threw it down the hatch of a progressive press. Would be constantly stopping and clearing jams. When someone sells a batch of brass that is all the same headstamp (from a PD indoor range, for instance) it's worth paying a little extra for....

If the priming system doesn't work on the press, why not fix it? I have very few cartridges that I load that is not comprised of mixed head stamps. I will occasionally reject a case do to bad rim or extractor groove the rest are loaded just fine on a progressive. Rifle or pistol load just fine.

Take care

r1kk1

berksglh
05-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Well I spoke to soon. After 2-3k rnds on mine, I had my first small primer shell go through my prime station 2 days ago. Scared the **** out of me.

I accept the fact that I need to separate small primed cases, no different then with hand priming.

Same loading session I also had about 10 winchesters that appeared to be crimped pocket, that crushed the primer with no bang. They did cause a jam. Easy to clear, manually pul up on primer arm, loosen the shell plate nut, wiggle the shell plate up and remove the bad rnd. Reseat the plate, and actuate the prime arm and remove any primer on the pin.

I usually remove any shell on the feed ramp and twist the feed tube so no more shells feed, then cycle it and load normally till rnds are out. Give a secind look then start again.

First shell that gets primed from there, just peek down through hole to see if primer anvil is present than proceed as normal.

Im a controls technician, and I accept that you get what you pay for and that there is a certain amount of limitation to what any machine can do. The loadmaster cant remove crimps, or multy task large and small primed shells. I dont think the other brands can either.

Am i attached to my loadmaster, no! But I cast and reload so I can save money to shoot more, same reason I chose the Lee press.

The nice thing is, i can empty the primer tray, back the flare die, seater, factory crimp die out 3 turns, then run the small prime through to deprime and size, hand prime, then reset the dies and remove the sizer die and load them as usual.

tiger762
05-20-2015, 08:30 PM
The small versus large primer pocket is the #1 PITA with 45acp. I can remember the days before there was SPP 45. Before there was 45gap...

If the priming system doesn't work on the press, why not fix it?

MaryB
05-21-2015, 12:43 AM
CFE223 tends to leak pretty bad on the auto disk...

That's probably the most trouble-free process within the LM. I still look for the reflection of powder off the inside wall of the brass as it circles around. I have never had it not drop powder. The two brass screws started to loosen once. I noticed loose flakes of Titegroup around the top of the turret. Tightened the brass screws and didn't happen again. I do like to do a spot weight check every once in a while. Been loading tons of 200gr 45acp with 4.8gr of TG lately.

Moonie
05-21-2015, 11:56 AM
CFE223 tends to leak pretty bad on the auto disk...

I used to have issues with H110/W296 leaking badly, I sanded down the body on a couple of them so the fit was tighter and the leaking stopped. the Pro I have (teflon coated) was a tighter fit to begin with.

r1kk1
05-21-2015, 08:51 PM
The small versus large primer pocket is the #1 PITA with 45acp. I can remember the days before there was SPP 45. Before there was 45gap...

I understand there are small and large primer pocket 45s as well as the same issue with 400 Corbon and a few other cartridges over time. A worse case scenario is where I own a 500 Linebaugh. I also load 510 GNR and 50 Bowen Special utilizing the 500 Linebaugh trimmed down to the other lengths. I mark the 510 GNR and the 50 Bowen Special with two distinct marks on the rim to separate them from each other. I have to keep a keen eye on what I'm loading and stop if I feel resistance. I've never set a primer off such as trying to seat a large primer into a small pocket but have caught a couple when my eyes failed me.

Since i I load so many different wildcats based on the 30-30, 405 Winchester and 444 Marlin, I have to keep a sharp eye and a pair of calipers near me. I have a couple pieces of small primer pocket 30-30 somewhere in one of the bins.

take care

r1kk1

Beesdad
05-21-2015, 11:35 PM
I am still operating 6 virtually stock Load-Masters. Each is setup on on a specific caliber and they continue to perform well. Last month I made a 4500 round production run utilizing 4 different units and I had a total of 4 primer related issues. One inserted sideways and 3 missing primers. The latter was an operator error as I let the primer supply run low.

Recently I have added 4 Pro 1000s to my mix and dedicated them to case perp. keeping my LMs free for reloading. Just for clarification 5 of the 6 LMs I currently operate were purchased used and in each case the previous owners acknowledged that they were having problems with the press. I simply mounted them properly, gave them a good cleaning, adjusted the carrier and installed the current primer assy. and in every case they have performed well. From an investment perspective I have averaged apromimatelly $150.00 for each complete LM...

Based on my experience I would have no problem recommending the LM to anyone who has pervious reloading experience...

Patrick56
05-24-2015, 05:10 AM
A little off topic, but I have to ask, as it seems that all the progressive press pros are here. I am trying to buy back a Lee 1000 that I sold twenty years ago and I would like to load the 44-40 with it. Is it possible to transform it to this mission? Do you recommend to lube the cases before re sizing? Lee does not list the 1000 nor the Loadmaster in 44-40.

Beesdad
05-24-2015, 12:36 PM
A little off topic, but I have to ask, as it seems that all the progressive press pros are here. I am trying to buy back a Lee 1000 that I sold twenty years ago and I would like to load the 44-40 with it. Is it possible to transform it to this mission? Do you recommend to lube the cases before re sizing? Lee does not list the 1000 nor the Loadmaster in 44-40.

Shell plates are available for 44-40 .. 14L for the Load Master and 14 for the Pro 1000. You may want to look at the current Pro 1000 as it has had some major updates in the last 20 years..

Either press should work well for your application..

xacex
05-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I though about using a hornady powder dispenser in the priming location on mine to open up another station. I have always uses a classic turret press with the primer tube to deprime, and size my brass so the loadmaster stays clean. I like to hand prime also as a last check of the brass so my priming station on the loadmaster does not get used. I think I could add a bullet feeder to the thing with the extra station. Has worked well for me using it the way I do for several thousand rounds.

Patrick56
05-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Shell plates are available for 44-40 .. 14L for the Load Master and 14 for the Pro 1000. You may want to look at the current Pro 1000 as it has had some major updates in the last 20 years..

Either press should work well for your application..
Ok, thank you for your advice! I have bought a lot from Titan, but itīs a question of money. Shipping cost a lot and sales tax 24% on the sum is a lot of money for a poor retired ex soldier.;-)

Foto Joe
05-25-2015, 11:34 AM
I've tried to read all the posts but I will admit to skipping the ones that just want to argue so if I'm repetitive it's my fault and I apologize.

I recently purchased a LoadMaster about three months ago. The one that I ordered was set up for 38/357 mainly 'cause I didn't need any more dies and I knew a guy who wanted the 38/357 dies so he helped me mitigate the price.

At this time I've used the press to load a little over 1k 38 Specials, about 500 45 ACP and right at 1k 9mm's for my daughter, here's my take on the LoadMaster:

As with any mechanical beast you'd better be willing an able to learn EXACTLY how this thing works. I purposely primed off press until this last week simply to reduce the steepness of my learning curve. I'd heard so many bad things about the priming system I just wasn't sure that I even wanted to use it but I finally broke down and gave it a try. I did have a few issues with primers trying to seat sideways but after some research discovered that the carrier head adjustment is critical on this press. It's easy to adjust and once that's done the priming system run flawlessly.

I actually went to Dillon in Scottsdale a few months ago to "test drive" some of their stuff. I've got a buddy who wears blue undies and always has a glass of blue koolaid in his mitt so I figured I'd give Dillon a try. After watching my buddy use his 650 and have issues then running a 550B at the showroom I've got to say I just wasn't impressed enough to plunk down $2,000 to change over my entire loading bench.

r1kk1
05-25-2015, 10:27 PM
I actually went to Dillon in Scottsdale a few months ago to "test drive" some of their stuff. I've got a buddy who wears blue undies and always has a glass of blue koolaid in his mitt so I figured I'd give Dillon a try. After watching my buddy use his 650 and have issues then running a 550B at the showroom I've got to say I just wasn't impressed enough to plunk down $2,000 to change over my entire loading bench.

I've own a SD and still have the hybrid 450/550. I bought both back in the mid 80s. I don't really know how many rounds the Square Deal (SD) loaded. I had it set up in one cartridge - 45 ACP. I shot in bowling pin leagues and bullseye for quite some time. I bought the 450 to load 44 magnum and 7 TCU to compete in IHMSA. I had a round counter that finally broke and noticed Gunoil has one mounted on a press. The 550 is a very simple machine. I take mine down once a year to bare bones and reassemble it after a thorough cleaning. My round counter broke just shy of a 100k of rounds. It is well into six figures of rounds loaded from .17 caliber to .50 caliber stuff both handgun and rifle. I sent the SD back to Dillon for an overhaul. They sent me back a SDB. It cost me 45 bucks. I then traded the press for an original San Diego Star lubrisizer with quite a few goodies. Over the decades, I have added shell plates, although one shell plate will load quite a few different cartridges within the same family, I have all the buttons, and a few powder funnels. I use a JDS Quick Measure for my rifle and Encore pistol loads. The 550 is boringly repeatable. That is what I expect. Am I impressed? Does it matter? It's a machine that has long paid for itself and I have replaced a handful of primer tube tips and sent back a powder measure body that was delivered by some gorilla who crushed the box and cracked the body since I've owned it. I bought a 2nd complete primer assembly so changing from large to small is a few seconds. I also like that Dillon has kept up with the latest cartridges offering a new shell plate where needed except for the 5.7X28.

Vaquero 44 has probably loaded around as many loads on his LM as I have on the 550. He's a good guy. Beesdad is another one to listen to. Both of these guys can point you to any answers you may have. Lee needs to bring out some new, much needed shell plates. I can't believe and I know they made a 500 S&W shell plate in the past and it's not a current production item. Weird.

I've been to Dillon's showroom numerous times. I've contemplated a new progressive now and again. I love some of the features of the LNL and the versatility of the RCBS 2000. If they come out with the same amount of shell plates for the ProChucker as the 2000, I will add a 7 station RCBS press to my bench. Time will tell.

take care,

r1kk1

MaryB
05-26-2015, 12:00 AM
I looked at Dillon, I cannot justify the price when I am mechanically inclined having repaired consumer electronics(ever take apart a camcorder?400 screws and e-clips to put back in!) so tweaking, adjusting fine tuning is not an issue and it means I cannot justify the extra cost of Dillon.

LAKEMASTER
05-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I looked at Dillon, I cannot justify the price when I am mechanically inclined having repaired consumer electronics(ever take apart a camcorder?400 screws and e-clips to put back in!) so tweaking, adjusting fine tuning is not an issue and it means I cannot justify the extra cost of Dillon.

i agree on so many levels.

LAKEMASTER
05-26-2015, 10:32 AM
I've tried to read all the posts but I will admit to skipping the ones that just want to argue so if I'm repetitive it's my fault and I apologize.

I recently purchased a LoadMaster about three months ago. The one that I ordered was set up for 38/357 mainly 'cause I didn't need any more dies and I knew a guy who wanted the 38/357 dies so he helped me mitigate the price.

At this time I've used the press to load a little over 1k 38 Specials, about 500 45 ACP and right at 1k 9mm's for my daughter, here's my take on the LoadMaster:

As with any mechanical beast you'd better be willing an able to learn EXACTLY how this thing works. I purposely primed off press until this last week simply to reduce the steepness of my learning curve. I'd heard so many bad things about the priming system I just wasn't sure that I even wanted to use it but I finally broke down and gave it a try. I did have a few issues with primers trying to seat sideways but after some research discovered that the carrier head adjustment is critical on this press. It's easy to adjust and once that's done the priming system run flawlessly.

a couple days ago i sat down and really thought about the LM and other progressives and came to this conclusion.

i really wont ever be reloading more then ~ 500 rounds at one time.

the progressive option is for me to blow through pistol rounds quick for plinking. ( since im lucky enough to have a wife who likes shooting)

and honestly, id like to load 3006 rounds semi fast aswell.

but heres the thing, i may only have the reloading bench going 5 months a year. When its 120*F outside (think im joking? last year was 116*F ) 1 of our 2 boats will be out on the lake...

so, the fact i can spend at most$260 via ebay for a reloading press, ill go the cheaper route for right now...