PDA

View Full Version : .326 size die?

MeestaSparkle
03-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey,
My k98 bore is a little over .325 (by a few tenths).. but I can't seem to find any .326 size dies anywhere. Should I size .325 or does anyone know where to get a .326 die? I have access to a machine shop with some manual lathes but no honer (or grinder capable of I.D.). I thought about boring a die out, but how critical would the surface finish be?

Buckshot
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Hey,
My k98 bore is a little over .325 (by a few tenths).. but I can't seem to find any .326 size dies anywhere. Should I size .325 or does anyone know where to get a .326 die? I have access to a machine shop with some manual lathes but no honer (or grinder capable of I.D.). I thought about boring a die out, but how critical would the surface finish be?

..............You mean the GROOVE is over .325" don't you? The smoother the dies' ID the smoother it's operation will be. Especially nice when running a GC in. However, to answer the question a good reamed or bored finish will serve if done right.

..............Buckshot

DLCTEX
03-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I would think you could remove enough material to fit that bore with a split dowell in a drill with fine emory cloth. DALE

bruce drake
03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
How does the rifle currently shoot. If it shoots ok with a .325 than don't bother. If you feel you can scrounge an extra 1/2 MOA from a 50 year old barrel than go for it.

Bruce

cbrick
03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
If I were in that situation I would use Uncle Sam's postal service to deliver the .325" die to the very capable hands of Mr. Buckshot to be done properly. I just don't have the confidence in my ability with hand tools to have the final result be as straight, round, of correct diameter or smooth as I would want. Sure, it can be done but probably not by me. For a few bucks I'd have what makes me happy and it would probably be cheaper than buying a new die after I screwed up the first.

Rick

beagle
03-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Before you go through that, be sure that it will chamber a cartridge loaded with a .326.

Most of the older military rifles have generous chamber dimensions but it's just a thought.

I'm a firm beleiver in bigger is better on bullet diameters. I'd go with getting Buckshot to open one./beagle

Leftoverdj
03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
You don't mention the kind of sizer, but it's dead easy with straight through sizers. Lube a few cull bullets with fine grinding compound and shuck them through. Iif you are using and in-and-out sizer. cobble up a nose punch to run them deeply into the die and use the same method.

We are talking a tiny amount of metal removal here, and it ain't gonna matter whether you open it up to .326 or .3265. You can't get it significantly crooked either. I've always been satisfied with the smoothness I get.

I'd go with Buckshot if I ever needed one opened more than a couple of thous, but under that is a cinch.

leftiye
03-17-2008, 07:26 PM
You could remove that .001" by the split dowell/sandpaper method by hand even. .001" isn't that much. The saving grace here is that it is just such a small amount. If you don't put any side pressure on it and use a pin gauge ot other rod .326 in diameter to help you know when you're getting close, the imperfections will be proportionately small, and remember the boolit ends up the size of the SMALLEST point in the tube, not the largest. Plus, if you were to turn and polish a piece of brass or soft steel to use as a gauge, you could also lap the bore with it.