PDA

View Full Version : RCBS pocket swager

Brett Ross
05-12-2015, 03:06 PM
I bought the RCBS "Primer Pocket Swager 2" last winter. I was looking to try my hand at converting berdan primed brass, per the Larry Gibson method. I started getting set up to do it and discovered it will not fit on my Lee classic cast press. I read on modding the release collar to work on the Lee but had not gotten around to it yet. I was at my nephew's this weekend and seen he had the same kit with the Lee cast press. I ask him if he had modded his release collar yet and he said he just called RCBS and the sent him one which would fit. I email them today and one is one the way. The moral of the story is call the manufacture first, as I could not see this part in any catalog but it was available, free of charge even. Thanks RCBS.
Tony

jsizemore
05-12-2015, 04:37 PM
RCBS is the deal.

Tackleberry41
05-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Is there a different model. I bought one, and just stuck it in my lee cast press, never had any issues.

flashhole
05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I had the same issue. A quick note to RCBS and the problem was solved ... free. They are a great outfit to work with.

Mytmousemalibu
05-13-2015, 04:46 AM
Howdy Y'all! New to the forum!

Just curious about your issue. Is the issue with the collar because of the size of the ram on the classic cast? I have the RCBS PPS-2 also, which I love! Also using it for Berdan conversions. I'm using a Lee Breechlock Challenger for the time being and it does work but because you must remove the priming arm for lack of down stroke, the collar only contacts with the cast-in spent primer well edges so it more or less tips the collar when poping the brass off of the die. It works, but if I stack the 2 priming arms on each other and set them in the press next to the ram for the collar to contact, the brass is pushed off evenly and it works smoother. Again it works like that but is less than elegant and you have to keep pushing whatever is your spacer back in, which is a bit obnoxious. So if there is perhaps a slightly reduced size collar, that would be sweet, it will fit between the ram and the spent primer well as there is a gap. I will be buying a Rock Chucker at some point. The Forster Co-Ax is tempting too. I'll keep the Challenger but I would like a heavy cast iron press.