05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
i been neck only sizing for the 223rem t/c contender
and i ended up at the range with a bunch of rounds that wont fit in the gun
took one and pulled bullet
dumped powder and full length sized it carefully trying it
size a little
try
size etc
in tiny increments until it fit but didn't go too far into the chamber causing misfires
then i locked the die into position for future use
i don't know what i did wrong
but i found the fix

unclebill
05-12-2015, 04:24 PM
yep we have to neck size or the shoulder gets bumped back too far and the gun wont fire. i got 5 loadings before my problem appeared

country gent
05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
With the full pressure loads thats about right for number of loadings neck sizing as cases expand a little more everytime under the full pressures. You might give partial full length or Bump sizing a try. Use a full length sizing die and only size down until the sholder is bumped back .001-.002. We did this with ammo loaded for semi autos and service rifles in high power and it worked well. A gage made to go over neck and sit on shoulder measure fired case ( 5-10 to get a solid average) this is a comparative measurement used. sit sizing die high and size measuring and setting die down to where your measurement is less .001-.002. You can coat cases with smoke or marker on neck and shoulder until the die just kisses the shoulder also. But you dont know for sure what your moving the shoulder this way.

floydboy
05-12-2015, 04:46 PM
You did nothing wrong. Every few firings the case will stretch a little. The shoulder needs to be bumped back a little which is exactly what you did with the full length die.

pietro
05-12-2015, 05:11 PM

Also, with enough repeated firings, a case mouth may thicken enough to prevent fully-chambering a loaded round.

The cure is to ream the case neck slightly - either inside or out (there's both kinds of reamers available).

EDG
05-12-2015, 08:03 PM
I have never heard of that one. That does not happen in my tight chambered BR rifles.

Also, with enough repeated firings, a case mouth may thicken enough to prevent fully-chambering a loaded round.

The cure is to ream the case neck slightly - either inside or out (there's both kinds of reamers available).

marshall623
05-12-2015, 08:57 PM
I tried neck sizing only in my 7-30 & 7 TCU , it worked for a couple of firings . Now I full length every time with the sizer set to hold the shoulder back at the desired head space.