PDA

View Full Version : What am I

staceyporter
05-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I have an old x-Ray machine that our hospital threw out, about a thousand pounds of alloy between the plates and the body of the thing. I cast a few ingots into a muffin tin (which they stuck to) and when I dropped one it had a "ring" when it hit the ground versus a thud. I pressed a ball bearing into it and it has a hardness of about 12 (using the Engineers Toolbox hardness calculator available online. Anyone have an idea of what the alloy of something like this might be??? I was going to cast up a few slugs for my .45 acp and see how they shoot but a little nervous of fouling up the bore. Any suggestions???

websterz
05-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Load 'em up and shoot 'em!

staceyporter
05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
I think that's just what I may do!! I've only ever worked with plain lead for my old smoke poles, but when I melted this down it had almost a runny oatmeal texture to it using the same heat setting that I use on lead with my little Lee 10lb bottom pour. Thanks for the little push I needed to break down and do it.

jsizemore
05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
The oatmeal is the antimony/tin that needs to be fluxed back into alloy from running too high a temp that's necessary for pure Pb. 12 bhn is right around COWW alloy. If the boolits don't have good fillout at 675-700degF then your probably a little light on tin.

staceyporter
05-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Thanks, that's good info. So turn down the heat a touch and flux away. I'll give it a shot thanks again.