PDA

View Full Version : H. K. Wineland

Pb2au
05-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Does anyone have any information on an Ohio gunsmith by the name of H. K. Wineland.
I was able to find some basic stuff , but I was wondering if anyone here in the collective had anything.
He was from NW Ohio, and by most accounts not only a gunsmith, but made his own barrels as well. A friend of mine recently acquired on of his rifles and it definitely shows all the markers of quality.
Many thanks!

bigdog454
05-15-2015, 03:07 PM
HK was nt only a gunsmith, but manufactured barrels of excelent quality. He was located in West Unity Ohio. He was a farmer and only made barrels on specail order and was not very qquick about it, 6 month to a year was normal. usually made 5 grove barrels. Tell me more about your friends rifle, ie. what caliber, barrel weight etc.
BD

Pb2au
05-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Built on a Mauser action, chambered in 6mm Remington. Still waiting on some pictures to share.
His best guess is that the rifle was built in the very early 60's.

bigdog454
05-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Hugh built me a barrel in the mid 60's early 70,s, I forget what year. It was wxtreamly accurate it was a 6.5 X 308, now called the 260, heavy barrel on a jap action 1:11.5 twist if I rember right it had a 6 gruve twist. very accurate, killed a ground hog at 600 yards with that gun (I claim it was skill) and a 85 grain bullet.
The rifle was stolen in the mid 70's (b&e), would like to find that gun again and would pay for it's return.
Hugh made some mighty fine barrels. I have heard rummers that his son in now making barrels, but no way to know.
BD