PDA

View Full Version : BFR: 7.5" or 10" 500SW

arthury
05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I currently own and shoot two s&w x-frame 500sw: one 4" and the other the 10.5".
With the help of several helpful folks in another forum, I have reloaded successfully and have been shooting the 500sw ever since 2-3 years ago.

Lately, I am itching to get the MagnumResearch BFR so, here are the questions:

I am wondering which one is better : 7.5" or 10"
Is the BFR inherently accurate straight out of the factory?
Is the frame and cylinder forged?
Is the trigger as good as the X-frame S&W PC gun?

My application is range shooting and hunting ... and ... occasional zombies killing :Fire: :D

Let me hear your thoughts.
Thanks a bunch!

44man
05-11-2015, 10:23 AM
7-1/2" might do it. Big case, lot of powder so it does need some barrel length. I like the long ones, gun is so huge I don't notice the length, shoulder holster.
Most will need some trigger work, they are like a Ruger. Just a little work and they slick right up.
Only one I did not have to touch was the custom shop, perfect out of box.
BFR's need no other work, shoot cast right off. A few of mine have never seen those funny bullets.

Cornbread
05-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I prefer the 7.5" because they measure from the front of them frame so length wise it feels like an 8.5" which was plenty long enough for me. The 10.5" is really 11.5" which was too long for me. That is just personal preference. For me with the 10.5 it just felt like there was way too much barrel out front.

44man
05-11-2015, 10:40 AM
My barrel is 10" from the frame and 10-11/16" from the cylinder.

Cornbread
05-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Was that a custom shop one? The one I measure was almost 11.5 from the cylinder.

arthury
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the responses so far ...
Any bad experiences with heavy loads cracking frame or cylinders?

I heard that the grips of the BFR cracks easily. Is this true?

Cornbread
05-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I shoot 454 Casull in mine pushing a 255grn bullet at over 1,750fps with an H110 load that is published spec from Oregon Trail for their cast bullets but it doesn't have pressure listed for it in their data just fps. If I extrapolate other H110 data that I have that load is probably between 40,000cup and 50,000cup as a guess and I have never had any problems with it other than it hurts to shoot very many of them. Hearsay wise I have never heard of a BFR having any heavy load issues.

The grips are a flexible rubber Uncle Mike's type grip. I have a hard time believing they would crack but I guess I can only give my personal experience which is no I have never had one crack on me.

44man
05-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Was that a custom shop one? The one I measure was almost 11.5 from the cylinder.
No, store bought. 45-70.

44man
05-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the responses so far ...
Any bad experiences with heavy loads cracking frame or cylinders?

I heard that the grips of the BFR cracks easily. Is this true?
Grips are Uncle Mikes and will last until your middle finger wears it. You break a BFR frame you will be loading Plastic explosives. It must be the strongest revolver ever made. Ruger's Pine Tree casts all parts. Ruger and MR have a relationship second to none but BFR's have badger, hand lapped barrels and better dimensions.

Cornbread
05-11-2015, 02:26 PM
If everything works out as planned I will be getting a 7.5" 45-70 one in the next few months and I already have the 454 one. I can let you know if there are any major differences between the two that I don't care for etc. There were only two things on my BFR 454 I didn't care for, the trigger was heavy and needed a small fix to make it lighter. That took about five minutes with some instruction from folks on this site on how to do it, and the front site on mine was too tall by a ways. It was aluminum so it took like a fraction of a minute to fix that with a grinder.

Other than that I can honestly say it is the best or tied with the best magnum revolver I have ever owned and I have quite a number of magnums from various makers.

For me the only factory revolver that is its equal is a Freedom Arms revolver and those cost a lot more and in 454 they don't have a model that can be carried on a full cylinder like a BFR can because they don't make a 97 in 454 Casull. The Freedom Arms definitely has the upper hand on the looks even though they are both beautiful guns. I think with some pretty wood grips the BFR would give it a run for its money though. The biggest plus with the BFR though is that I can buy almost 3 of them for the price of one FA.

44man
05-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Good keep us informed. I have good loads depending on your boolit choice.

dubber123
05-11-2015, 05:46 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0051.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/dubber123/media/IMG_0051.jpg.html)

Cornbread, they do look nicer with some good wood grips. Recoil is fine with them too, don't buy into the bunk about them over rotating, it just isn't so.

44man
05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Fine looking grips. My only problem is my big knuckle fills the space behind the guard. Not as bad as a SBH guard, must be the worst for me. Sometimes it is more fun to put my hand on a bench and hit my knuckle with a hammer! :D
It is the reason I don't make wood panels for mine.

tazman
05-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Fine looking grips. My only problem is my big knuckle fills the space behind the guard. Not as bad as a SBH guard, must be the worst for me. Sometimes it is more fun to put my hand on a bench and hit my knuckle with a hammer! :D

This is the reason I don't shoot single action revolvers without aftermarket grips that move my hand down the grip. Even then there is usually a little of the trigger guard getting my knuckle.

arthury
05-12-2015, 09:29 AM
This is the reason I don't shoot single action revolvers without aftermarket grips that move my hand down the grip. Even then there is usually a little of the trigger guard getting my knuckle.

So, are you guys saying that even with the factory Pachmayr rubberized grip, it's still a problem?
It's almost saying that you need a smaller grip to accommodate the large knuckles?

Cornbread
05-12-2015, 10:23 AM
My brother has ape knuckles too as I call them to tease him and has this problem. So does one of my best friends. Bisley grips or grips that move their knuckle below or further from the guard work great for them. For me I don't suffer from Neanderthal paw syndrome so Blackhawk grips fit my smaller hands really well, whereas for my brother and friend they hate them. For my brother the standard BFR grip works just fine because it's large enough that his knuckles don't end up right behind the guard but with my 45 Colt Blackhawk with standard cheese grater grips he has problems. For him he says the the BFR is the most comfortable and accurate revolver he's ever shot and he has massive hands.

44man
05-12-2015, 02:33 PM
So, are you guys saying that even with the factory Pachmayr rubberized grip, it's still a problem?
It's almost saying that you need a smaller grip to accommodate the large knuckles?
No, the rubber grips fill in behind the guard. Keeps the knuckle lower. Mine is huge from a lifetime of archery, all bow weight is mostly held by that finger. Hand size not as important as long as it feels good. I can't shoot a bisley for the same reason. They have less space.
The BFR is a joy to shoot with the rubber grips. I never feel them.

Whiterabbit
05-13-2015, 12:49 AM
The frame will not break. Period. You might break transfer bars, shear ejector rod screws, lose front sights, etc over time and many thousands of rounds assuming you shoot heavies like I do. But never the frame or grip frame or cylinder. Never. The cylinder and the frame are tanks.

All I am gonna say about the grips is a counterpoint to 44man. I hate the grips. rub my hand raw. I put the tao ferro grips on, couldn't be happier. Now, a good buddy of mine, he LOVED shooting my BFR. Loved the gun. Then I put the pao ferro grips on it, he refuses to shoot it now. So itmight be like plowhandle vs bisley. Either in one camp or the other.

44man
05-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Hand strength is the reason. You need a tight enough grip so rubber does not skid. I can run 100 .500 JRH's a session without a mark on my palm. Rubber can peel skin for sure.
But remember smooth grips can let a gun rotate so it still needs held proper.
I remember Whitworth being here with his DR in .50 Alaskan. Bisley grips of polished Micarta, nice looking but I would not shoot it. No glove on earth was enough. He split his head wide open but is tough enough to keep shooting. I knew better.
Long ago we shot 29's double action at tires rolled down a hill with cardboard in the tires. I would have checkered palms, funny to see those marks but we did not hurt from it.
The secret to revolver shooting is to never have your hand hold change from recoil.

Whiterabbit
05-13-2015, 01:51 PM
With the pao ferro grips I can shoot 130+ 460 rounds without palm issues. Most range sessions are somewhat fewer than 130 rounds though. But for a time 130 was not a-typical.

Ruger45Bisley
05-15-2015, 02:12 PM
There is some chrono numbers from the 7.5" and 10" version on MRI's website, and it doesn't look like the 10" gives much of a velocity increase. I'd opt for the 7.5" for that factor plus that extra long barrel has got to be really front end heavy. I've got a 7.5" (really more like 8.2") BFR 454 and it's huge, the 500's longer cylinder will make it even more so. But the BFR's are tough guns, I've shot 300gr XTP Mags at 1800 fps from my 454 BFR (handloads using Lil'Gun), no issues although it will get your attention!

Whiterabbit
05-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I think OP needs the 7.5. I suspect the 10 would be better in every way, and no less cumbersome or heavy than the 7.5. But OP already has a 10.5, so the 7.5 would fill in a gap. :)

(though I bet the OAL between a 10.5 smith and 7.5 BFR are darn similar... :))

arthury
05-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Bought the BFR 10".
Waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...
[smilie=6:

Like most 500SW steel guns, I expect I should be able to use the gun to physically wallop a bear if the cylinders are empty.8-)

pkie44
05-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Bought the BFR 10".
Waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...
[smilie=6:

Like most 500SW steel guns, I expect I should be able to use the gun to physically wallop a bear if the cylinders are empty.8-)

A teaser:lol:

44man
05-16-2015, 09:34 AM
I remember my IHMSA days with the 10-1/2" Ruger SBH. Tried off hand a lot and the darn barrel would droop down on me.
After getting the big BFR in 45-70, even though I was a LOT older, it got easier and the old .44 is a piece of cake. Strange to hold the monster gun as easy as a rifle now. It grows on you.
Some call them ugly but I think they are the finest piece of machinery ever built. I have 3 BFR's and want more, would love to play with the 30-30. 500 S&W, maybe but I have a hard time thinking it is better then the JRH.
If I was rich I would own every single gun MR makes from the DE to the .22.

arthury
05-16-2015, 11:17 AM
I remember my IHMSA days with the 10-1/2" Ruger SBH. Tried off hand a lot and the darn barrel would droop down on me.
After getting the big BFR in 45-70, even though I was a LOT older, it got easier and the old .44 is a piece of cake. Strange to hold the monster gun as easy as a rifle now. It grows on you.
Some call them ugly but I think they are the finest piece of machinery ever built. I have 3 BFR's and want more, would love to play with the 30-30. 500 S&W, maybe but I have a hard time thinking it is better then the JRH.

Some how, the concussion effect of the 500SW is also a little less when shooting a 10" vs a 4".

If I was rich I would own every single gun MR makes from the DE to the .22.
Yes, I agree, MRI makes interesting guns. I'm eyeing their 2015 released stainless 50AE Desert Eagle Mark IX with built-in compensator. :Fire:

arthury
05-16-2015, 11:18 AM
A teaser:lol:
Nice!

44man
05-16-2015, 11:48 AM
I feel very lucky to have BFR's. I have never made any gun shoot better or killed so many deer before but I still love Ruger too.
I did not know what to expect with my first BFR. I went nuts! A big Ruger! A VERY big Ruger! Best SA ever made. I still want a DE, shot many and it is like holding a Chevy out but darn do they shoot good.

BloodGroove4570
05-16-2015, 03:05 PM
I feel very lucky to have BFR's. I have never made any gun shoot better or killed so many deer before but I still love Ruger too.
I did not know what to expect with my first BFR. I went nuts! A big Ruger! A VERY big Ruger! Best SA ever made. I still want a DE, shot many and it is like holding a Chevy out but darn do they shoot good.

44Man
You know I'm partial to the 44 mag ;)
I've never shot the DE.? I'm guessing by your above statement it's a shooter (IF the Shooter does his part) ? I might have to see if I can get my hands on one to try!!! Just What I needed, another on the list!!! ;)
LOL

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

Markbo
05-16-2015, 08:30 PM
I have only one BFR. A 5 1/2" .475 Linebaugh. Some day it WILL have a longer barrel. FWIW mine was a custom shop gun. After the very first range trip it went to Alan Harton. One reason only. Knock the edges off of it. The edges were so sharp I had blood on everything on the bench. The action was great. The trigger was fantastic...the cutting me up had to be fixed. Mine came with Buffalo horn grip panels. I really dont like the huge rubber grips on BFRs. Strictly a looks thing for me.

44man
05-17-2015, 08:07 AM
Worst guns for my hands are the Bisleys and the square trigger guard SBH. Much blood too shooting friends guns. I put Pachmeyer grips on my Rugers. Fugly but no pain.
If I made fancy grips I would be switching to shoot, then put pretty back on to hide in the safe! :kidding:

44man
05-17-2015, 08:24 AM
By the way, the .475 has the worst recoil and torque, more then my JRH and both are 7-1/2".
When I shot at the first 3 deer with mine I took pounds of hair off the top of their backs, never cut hide. Found I was too relaxed shooting at deer and it was really coming up fast. I started to talk to myself "Hold tight." It worked and many deer have dropped.
You need to hold it the same as on the range.
The longer barrels let me hunt without ear protection, I just don't hear the gun. But on the range it is different. I don't remember pulling the trigger either since my triggers run in the 1-1/2# range.
I never remember actually releasing an arrow at a deer either, when it is right, it is GONE. I was a finger shooter too.
Now those large calibers in shorties are going to climb and I mean CLIMB so I don't know how you can do it. When your revolver winds up alongside your ear, where did the shot go?

Markbo
05-17-2015, 08:26 PM
I think the .454 is worse than the .475.

DougGuy
05-17-2015, 08:53 PM
It is the reason I don't make wood panels for mine.

And I was JUST remarking about how far back away from the trigger guard the plowhandle was. Had me going for a minute Jim, thought I'd found me a woods cannon that wouldn't kill the middle knuckle..

44man
05-18-2015, 11:28 AM
You do not have my Knuckle. HUGE from shooting heavy bows. It is larger them my thumb. I have large hands that extra large gloves do not fit. I have a heck of a time finding work gloves.
I was an auto mechanic for years. Could snap 1/2" bolts with ease.
Remember the old thing of breaking an egg in your hand by holding it a certain way? I broke every one. I maxed the hand stuff at the fairs.
But a plow handle is my best ever as long as it fills behind the guard. Need held low anyway.
Had a bitch of a time with my MOA in 7BR so sent for the guard with no loop. Just as bad so I made my own out out of stainless. That little thing beat me and now I don't feel it.139732 See how nasty some were. Yeah made by hand with files, etc.
Guys do not understand hold and consistency. Stick the Bisley very deep. The MOA has a close to Bisley grip but I fixed it. I have an MOA with a perfect grip now.
How I would love to see anyone here take a plate of stainless and make that trigger loop with no machines.

arthury
05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
The beast arrived and I have not fired it yet.

Polishing: the stainless steel polishing is up to snuff compared to Ruger's Redhawks. Nicely done except for a couple of smaller areas near and under the trigger guard that was not done well.
Finish: there are no burs sticking out . Everything inside the trigger guard was filed down and smoothly finished. There are a couple of areas on the frame itself where it surrounds the cylinder that are still pretty sharp. If you run your finger on those edges, you are going to get cut.
Hogue grip: It's nice grip and the curved area in the front sort of semi-wrapped around will protect the knuckle. I like the grip.
Iron sights: The front iron sight should be colored. Black front and rear iron sights takes a while to find them.
Carrying box: No hard-case? OK, for a gun that is around $1,000, Kahr could have included a hard-case, like all of the other major pistol manufacturers do even for guns under $500.
Firing test round: I did not see a once-fired test brass in the box. Do they test fire their products before they leave the factory? If not, they should. And, if they did, they should include the brass. It's just an assurance thing.
Trigger: trigger is nice and crisp. I do not think I need more trigger work done. The trigger is crisper than Ruger Redhawks but not as crisp as the S&W X-frame.

On the whole, the gun has met my expectations (80-85%) without firing it yet.

I'll report back after range test and may be include some pictures.

Question: Does anyone know if the rifling is polygonal or land+groove ? Their website just say "cut rifling".

Whiterabbit
05-22-2015, 11:50 AM
land groove.

DougGuy
05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Enjoy your new Big F@$%ing Revolver! :bigsmyl2:

I found the only way out of THIS

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/1dc26311-da91-4d59-9981-3b4a9fd0a0eb_zps993803a4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/1dc26311-da91-4d59-9981-3b4a9fd0a0eb_zps993803a4.jpg.html)

Is a couple wraps with THIS

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/Bandage_zps3wx4loba.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/Bandage_zps3wx4loba.jpg.html)

44man
05-22-2015, 12:43 PM
I think the .454 is worse than the .475.
Not hardly. The .454 feels like my .44 but the .475 can twist your wrist from bags.

44man
05-22-2015, 12:54 PM

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/1dc26311-da91-4d59-9981-3b4a9fd0a0eb_zps993803a4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/1dc26311-da91-4d59-9981-3b4a9fd0a0eb_zps993803a4.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/Bandage_zps3wx4loba.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/Bandage_zps3wx4loba.jpg.html)
No blood there. Actually the big .45-70 BFR has less recoil then a .44.

Whiterabbit
05-22-2015, 01:29 PM

I found that solution too, and I did not like it. So I tried this solution instead:

https://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=BFR815.jpg&w=326&h=278

And the problem was also solved without tape.

Markbo
05-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Well those are about 100 times better looking than rubber! Are those Hogues?

Whiterabbit
05-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I think so, but MR direct. You can't put on SBH parts, they don't fit.

So, you CAN go out and buy the rubber equivalent of that grip at any shop, made for SBH. And it assembles just fine, but the backstrap of the gripframe protrudes about half a millimeter. It's semantics on paper and invisible in photos more than 12 inches away, but the palm of your hand feels it in recoil for sure.

So the MR direct grips it is, for 2.5 times the price. Worth it for me. I don't have 44man's bear paws though. My hands are SUPER narrow and super super long. Very very long spindly fingers. My buddy also prefers the OEM rubber grips, come to think of it his hands are much wider than mine, almost as long. So maybe wide hands would lik the OEM grips, but my spider-leg fingers prefer that pao ferro grip.

Whiterabbit
05-25-2015, 12:41 AM
mine

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/e69212fdeb2c8663126afe95adb7fee8

44man
05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
That will work fine, they would work for me too. Gets the grip low where needed.

arthury
06-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Range experience

Accurate wheeler: my own loads (win296 44gr + 325gr Hornady HP) are more accurate than the 440gr RNFP UltraMax
Trigger: the factory trigger is quite crisp. I do not see a need to improve it further.
Recoil: quite a bit of muzzle rise ('cos no muzzle brake) but most of the thrust is horizontally rearwards.

I am a happy camper. MRI did a great job with this gun. I have no complaints.
Highly recommended, if you are looking for a SA large caliber revolver.

44man
06-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I love wood and the beauty but one smack by the guard and they are removed. I put Pachmeyer's on Rugers and love the factory grips on BFR's. I hate a Bisley, too much pain. Shift a little and they don't shoot for me. Tiny hands that shuffle papers all day might like them but not me. My middle knuckle is fully 1-1/8" across. Very few gloves fit me. I have extra large shooting gloves that take 5 minutes to put on or peel off so I don't use them. Too many gloves made in China, they have no idea what LARGE is.