PDA

View Full Version : Percussion pistol safety?

GoodOlBoy
05-11-2015, 02:09 AM
Looks like my brother will soon be the proud owner of a single shot traditions kentucky percussion. Once loaded, what is the safe way to carry it in the woods? cocked, half-cocked, or with the hammer resting on the cap? I am asking out of ignorance because he expects me to know these things. Personally the idea of carrying it with the hammer resting on the cap makes me queasy, but what the heck do I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GoodOlBoy

Pipefitter
05-11-2015, 02:22 AM
Half cock, but only after testing the lock to make sure the half-cock engages securely.

bubba.50
05-11-2015, 02:30 AM
personally, if movin' around in the woods & fields with a loaded single shot pistol i'd carry it uncapped & with the hammer down and only cap it if I got a shot on game. on/in a stand I would have it capped & on 1/2 cock.

rodwha
05-11-2015, 08:06 AM
I tried a thick, hard leather disk tied to the trigger guard, but found it would stick often enough to disqualify it. I recently read how a fellow made one out of a dowel rod by hollowing it out with a drill bit so that it fits over the cap.

Some me people swear by a flap holster.

pworley1
05-11-2015, 08:18 AM
I would carry it un-capped.

Odinbreaker
05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Carry it uncapped have an inline capper tied on a string that is the fastest way to cap.

GabbyM
05-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Half cocked on most cap guns is usually just about one quarter inch above the cap. It's how I carry my rifle.

doc1876
05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Bubba 50 is giving you good advice, I would listen.

country gent
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Half cocks arnt always reliable as a saftey they can sometimes be jarred off or bumped off . Though hammer is low and may not have momentum to reliable fire is it wort the risk? Carry uncapped to stand or blind then cap it and also remeber to uncap when leaving. A small tube could be made up 1/8"-3/16" longer than capped nipple to fit very loosly over capped nipple. Ideally this would be set up so the hammer could be lowered right down onto it holding it in place and hammer away from cap by said amount. This would also require the hammer to be raised to full cock to remove it probably. A s thin bootlace or such for a handle to help get ahold off also

Omnivore
05-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm with Doc, who advocated taking Bubba's advice, so take my advice, which is to take Doc's advice to take Bubba's advice.

I carry my rifle half-cocked, but I've inspected and tested the lock so I know it's reliable and strong. Still, I uncap before climbing a tree or some such. A pistol is a[whole]nother deal though; much more likely to shoot its owner or someone he doesn't want shot.

Geezer in NH
05-11-2015, 05:24 PM
For that matter a safety is not really safe either. Any mechanical device will fail when least expected. Watch the muzzle direction!

Gtek
05-11-2015, 06:06 PM
I completely agree with Bubba. Capper on lanyard around neck or some other arrangement of your liking. Why is it highly recommended and practiced to load cap and ball revolvers only five holes and rest hammer on empty hole for carry, JUST CAUSE **IT HAPPENS! Are you willing to gamble with your life or someone else's on a tumbler/sear and lock made by whoever?

Hardcast416taylor
05-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Just for arguments sake, are the correct size caps being used?Robert

koehlerrk
05-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Well, I don't have a lot of personal experience hunting with a ML, just got back into shooting them two years ago after a near 20 year break. But, my father, who taught me, and has only stopped hunting with a ML three years ago at age 70 because he can't see the sights anymore... well, his method was to carry it hammer down and cap off. He kept a capper on a lanyard around his neck, and he practiced enough that the deer never knew he was walking around uncapped.

When he sat in a stand, he would set a cap and use the half cock.

He never had a negligent discharge, and seldom came back without his deer.

GoodOlBoy
05-12-2015, 03:41 AM
Well looks like I got a bushel of good advice. I will surely pass it on to him, and I thank you all.

Richard

Sasquatch-1
05-12-2015, 06:18 AM
For flint locks there is a leather stall (like a small glove) that goes over the frizzen. If you know someone who sews, or are good with a needle yourself, you could make one of these to fit over the hammer. If made with a decent weight leather it should prevent an accidental discharge in the woods.

If carrying in a holster the holster could be modified with a small strap that would prevent the hammer from falling. I remember seeing many old time law enforcement officers carrying 1911 this way.

Southron
05-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Having done a fair amount of deer hunting in Georgia over the years past, with a replica rifle-musket I can say always be aware of vines and low handing tree limbs when traversing your way through the woods.

Vines and limbs have been known to "grab" a hammer ear and pull the cock back far enough to allow the gun to fire when the hammer ear is released. This phenomenon has been known to cause accidental discharges for centuries.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-12-2015, 01:56 PM
It isn't a rifle. It is a whole lot more likely to get pointed, perhaps momentarily, in the wrong direction. But you are looking for closer shots. Carrying it uncapped is a counsel of perfection, but anyone hunting with a pistol is likely to find himself in situations where every inch of movement, and every slight movement, is a liability. Cap and ball revolvers were carried with an empty chamber because they would be carried and forgotten for day or weeks, holstered or (and here is an almost excessively interesting thought) stuffed down your trousers.

I'd probably carry it half cocked, provided that I was hunting alone, and I had taken off the lock for a look at the half-cock engagement as well as just trying it. But if I didn't want to do that, I would have a narrow leather strap attached to the pistol, with the cap inserted in a tight hole. That way the pistol can be capped instantly and without removing the cap from the strap. Some noises don't scare deer as much as people think, but the click or scrape of a brass capper a few yards away will. You should make the strap long enough to punch new holes whenever the flash from a splitting cap enlarges the first hole too much.

bedbugbilly
05-15-2015, 08:41 PM
If walking in the woods - I'd leave it un-capped with hammer down as already suggested. Regardless of how good the half-cock notch int he tumbler is and the fit of the sear to it, if you fall and hit the hammer there is always the chance of it breaking the half cock notch in the tumbler and allowing the hammer to fall. The steel used in the internals is not always the best even though it will last a long time.

If you sitting against a tree and squirrel hunting - then cap it and put it on half cock.

One safety matter that hasn't been mentioned is one of the basic safety rules. KNOW WHERE THAT MUZZLE IS POINTING AND NEVER ALLOW IT TO POINT AT ANYONE OR ANY PART OF YOUR BODY. A pistol is a lot different than a rifle that is longer - it's easier to have your attention diverted and end up pointing the muzzle where it shouldn't be. This is especially true with kids out roaming and hunting - and some adults as well.

I have shot BP for over 50 years - everything from pistol, rifle and shotgun to full size Civil War artillery. When I hunted or roamed the woods, whether alone or with someone else - I always de-capped or with my flintlocks, dumped the priming powder when crossing fences, gates or rough ground. Yes . . . you may miss out on a squirrel, rabbit or bird once in a while but they aren't worth having an accident over.

Enjoy that new pistol - you'll have lots of fun!

GoodOlBoy
05-15-2015, 10:32 PM
appreciate it. Like I said it's my brother's for him to enjoy, but I want to start him out on the right track safety wise.

GoodOlBoy

GabbyM
05-16-2015, 10:33 PM
If I came across a cap lock pistol that would not hold the hammer off a cap I'd fix it or trash it. There is no way to work around junk.

I also carry my cap and ball revolvers with hammer resting on the safety pins.. If those pins are not proud it's because some fool has been spinning his cylinders while polishing his big belt buckle. Thus my six shooter C&B holds six rounds. Not five. I leave the five shooters to the Colt 1873 gunners. Since some safety issues are not relative to previous designs.