PDA

View Full Version : My Seating Die Tip for quick set up. Works with RCBS, not sure about others

sthwestvictoria
05-10-2015, 10:17 PM
If you cast then you tend to have several different length projectiles that you load for each cartridge as one is just not enough. To easily swap between seating die depths, when I have an OAL that I will use again in the future, I measure the height the seating die stem is poking out above the die body:

Then make a little note in my reloading book about how high the seating stem was for that load:
Next time when I have been using the seating die for a different OAL it is easy to return to the correct OAL for the new projectile by setting the micrometer and raising or lowering the seating stem to that particular height from the die body. Maybe everyone already does this but I thought it may help.

gunwonk
05-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Me too. Also, the RCBS dies have a screw slot at the top of the seating plug stem, and for my purposes the seating depth adjustment is often "close enough" with that screw slot timed to be either fore & aft, or crosswise, so that's how I set it up.

When changing bullets, I get things pretty close with the calipers, time the screw slot as per my notes, and I'm there again.

(I decided on this technique because it's kind of awkward getting the whole die into my calipers reproducibly. Low skill level, probably. 8-) Of course I like a micrometer seating die, too, if they make one and I can afford it.)

tryNto
05-11-2015, 12:27 AM
I use Dummy Cartridges, one for each of the different Boolits/Bullets in all the Calibers, kept in the Die boxes.