PDA

View Full Version : Recoil sensitive

pmer
05-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I have been doing some pushups and other upper body strength training. And it seems like my shoulder has been recovering from recoil quicker than usual. I suppose it's a dumb question but has anyone else noticed ups and downs to recoil sensitivity and found that just getting the blood flowing in the upper body might be a way to shoot heavy loads better and with more fun.

country gent
05-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Many things contribute to felt recoil ( recoil as percieved by the shooter) that are very real. Gun Wieght makes recoil more controlable and "slower" feeling with heavier firearms. A well desighned stock or grips also make recoil easier to handle. A properly fitting stock makes a big diffrence. More muscle tone helps with the bone jarring aspects. Better condition also helps alot. Some loads just seem to hammer you more also. Learning to hold the firearm with a solid bone supported position and tensioning makes a big diffrence also.

Multigunner
05-10-2015, 08:17 PM
The better your natural muscle tone the better your body recovers from impacts of any kind.

To get around heavy or sharp recoil when the weather id too hot for a coat I just fold a thick terry cloth wash cloth and put it on my shoulder under my T-shirt. It works better than a slip on recoil pad for me.
Slip on recoil pads have always increased group sizes with my rifles, unless I duct tape them down extra tight.

I've been chopping down trees and cutting brush to rebuild my muscle tone. Its more productive than standard excerises. You feel better and get something done at the same time. Plus I don't like hiring someone who'd do a half way job of it and still expect full pay.

MaryB
05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I cheat and use a recoil pad on my shoulder... :happy dance:otherwise when I use the Mosin or the 12 gauge with buck or slugs I end up bruised...

Artful
05-10-2015, 08:43 PM
While your conditioning is helping you for true relief
PAST Super Mag Plus Recoil Pad Shield Ambidextrous

I found one for myself after only the first day of a Shotgun course
consisting of 250 rounds buckshot & slug and 250 field loads (which was the first day)

Wayne Smith
05-11-2015, 07:22 AM
True, muscle tone and blood flow help recovery. Sat. I used a shirt I got for Christmas for the first time. It has an internal pocket and a Browning Reactor pad goes in the pocket. Made a major difference. It is a short sleeved shirt, in the winter I think I'll wear it under a long sleeved shirt!

w5pv
05-11-2015, 07:44 AM
On my heavy recoilers,I shoot just enough to make sure they hit on target and then when I am shooting to kill game I don't notice the recoil at all.I use lighter target loads for most of my shooting.

jsizemore
05-11-2015, 08:08 AM
On the Benelli parts diagram, excessive recoil is listed. You can substitute a Limbsaver recoil pad and life will be better. I used to do 600-800 pushups a night and it still hurt like hell.

sthwestvictoria
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM
I have re-stocked by Mauser 98 from the sport eroded military stock to a Boyd's heritage stock - what a difference! Having some cheek comb and longer LOP makes it a delight to shoot now.

dakotashooter2
05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Real men don't whine about recoil........................ ;)

nicholst55
05-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Real men don't whine about recoil........................ ;)

I guess W.D. 'Karamojo' Bell was a wuss, then. He whined about shooting the 4-bore express rifles, and preferred a .275 Rigby (AKA 7X57 Mauser) or a 6.5X54 MS on elephants. :kidding:

pmer
05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
The hardest kicking long gun I shot was a Contender carbine in 45-70. Man, that thing could bring the pain with 300 grain book loads. Then I had a 458 Lott in a CZ bolt action for a little while. It wasn't too bad with its design and using factory loads it was more of a big hard push than a sharp snap.

I'll have to look into using a terry cloth or getting some type of shoulder pad.

I was also having trouble with hand circulation when I was sleeping. Waking up at night with my hands falling a sleep and tingling. That seems to have cleared up doing the arm and shoulder work . I suppose its just a case of dealing with lifes injuries and getting older.

beezapilot
05-11-2015, 10:57 AM
I admit I mostly shoot shotgun and not rifle- I've put these on my wife's 12 gauges and there is a significant reduction (not quite full elimination) of recoil- I've never put one on a rifle- but I imagine that it could be adjusted out for the bigger push. I'm putting one on my trap gun in the coming weeks. What you notice on hot & sticky days is increased slide under your cheek as the stock moves a bit more as the springs compress, we put a small piece of moleskin on the cheek contact area and it just glides past.

Click on Images to Enlarge

WHAT'S NEW ???

http://www.stockpositioning.com/pixs/New_supercoil.gif

http://www.stockpositioning.com/pixs/supercoil_S_small_springs.gif

http://www.stockpositioning.com/pixs/supercoil_B_small_springs.gif

SPS Super-Coil
Model Number 1986 — Silver

SPS Super-Coil
Model Number 1986 — Black

http://www.stockpositioning.com/pixs/AOLPRR-Stock.gif (http://stockpositioning.com/adj_top_recoil_supp_butt_SILVER.htm)

Click on Images to Enlarge