PDA

View Full Version : Homemade checks work good!

Duckdog
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I just got home from the range and I shot some of the .311 checks I made, and they shot just as good as the store bought ones. I made mine out of one layer of "can"and one layer of embossing copper, with the copper being on the outside.

I was also able to look out to the 50 yd target and see that they did not come off in flight, as the snow here is finally hard enough to walk on. Apparently, the super glue stays on. I was pretty sure they would, as guys have used wax checks and they've held up.

I noticed that coardall is making custom sizes on E-bay now. If mine was a bit tighter to the bullet, I would be I wouldn't need glue.

Buckshot
03-17-2008, 01:42 AM
..............That's good news. What do you figure your cost per unit is?

..............Buckshot

jhrosier
03-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I did not have good first results with mine.
I made some .309s of two layers of can.
Each layer of can was built up with a self adhesive label (paper) to try to fit my .004" undersized boolit shank.
The checks sometimes delaminated at the muzzle.
I found parts of checks near the firing line and some in the impact area
Groups ran about 2" @ 50 yards.
This is a little more than twice the size groups with the same load using store bought checks.
I'm going to try to round up some .006" material and try again.

Duckdog, what kind of glue did you use?

Jack

Duckdog
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
The glue I used is called Bondini - everything gel. Its basically a gel like superglue.

My double layers did not come apart. Maybe the copper layer kind of crimps to the aluminum. I tried some rolled aluminum that I got from the local Menards, but I thought it was too thick. They have some large rolls of copper sheeting for $30, but I am afraid thay may be too thick also. It's tempting to buy it and anneal the roll to soften it up some prior to trying to make the checks. I might just get a wild hair and try that!

I figure that I have about $35.00 in the tool. When I think I can't even buy 1/2 a tank of gas in my gas hog truck, I think I'm gettin' my moneys worth in brain exercise if nothing else.

After having this tool, I might just talk to some of my machinist buddies and see how hard it would be to cusomize somthing to fit in the drill press.

jhrosier
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Duckdog,
McMaster-Carr has thin and soft copper in many thicknesses.
I checked the prices online recently and they were getting about $50 for a piece 6" wide and 50 feet long. That would make a bunch of thousands of checks, figure 4 per square inch times 3600 square inches is over 14 thousand checks.

Jack

Bad Water Bill
03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
When was the last time anyone saw gas checks for under $4.00 per K :drinks::drinks: BWB:castmine:

kjg
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
what is this gas check tool ya'll betalking about I'm interested a heap . KJG

jhrosier
03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
kjg,
There is a fellow who uses the handle CODARNALL, an evilbay seller.
He offers a tool set consisting of a punch to cut disks and a forming punch and die to make gas checks from aluminum beverage cans and similar material.
He makes these in just about any size that you might need.

Jack

trickyasafox
03-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I couldn't find him. anyone have an email for CODARNALL?

S.B.
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I think Paco over on the Levergun forum, used to make a tool to make checks out of aluminum cans?

Kraschenbirn
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I couldn't find him. anyone have an email for CODARNALL?

Yep! His name is Charlie Darnall and his e-mail is: codarnall@yahoo.com

I've got one of his punch sets in 8mm and am using aluminum checks on the Lee 329-205-1R. I'm still in the "load development" stage for my 8x57 but initial results appear promising (first batch of test loads averaged around 1 1/2"@ 50 yads - iron sights).

Bill

Trez Hensley
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
"Homemade checks work good!"

Can you cash one of them there "home made" checks that "work good" for about $1,000,000 and send me half. I'd sure appreciate it. It'll go to a good cause......

:-D :-D :-D :-D

S.B.
03-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I zoomed an email off to him, thanks. Steve

compass will
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230231322720) is a link to what he is selling. Hope I don't get in trouble for linking to Flebay. I am only did it so you can see the pictures and discription of the home made gas checks.

trickyasafox
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I emailed him and got a quick response- I don't want to speak for him, but I got the impression he wasn't taking orders right now.

very cordial and prompt with his response though.

S.B.
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Yep, that's the impression I got also?

kjg
03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
yep same here darn .kjg

jhrosier
03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
There are probably enough of us on the forum with lathes to take up the slack, if Charlie is bailing out....

Jack

jthomastreadwell
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
emailed about .44 checks ,got a quick no

jhrosier
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Just got a call from Charlie Darnall. He was checking to see how I was making out with the tool that I recently bought. That's a new highwater mark in customer service!

We chatted for a half hour or so about the whole gas check maker business.
He is apparently going to continue to offer the tools via ebay because it keeps the whole ordering and payment process manageable.

We talked at length about the problems of finding a size that will work with the wide range of bullet shank dimensions on .30 caliber moulds between the various mould makers. He offered to make another mandrel if the one supplied did not suit my needs. He had further suggestions about possible sources for material for my undersized mould and ways to process the checks to get a better fit.

We also talked about accuracy with the aluminum checks. He said that his previous customers have mostly reported accuracy as good with the homemade checks as with commercial ones.

My suggestion to any buyers is to tell him the size of your bullet shank as well as the final sizing diameter when you order so that he can make the mandrel and swage die to suit your application.

I would most certainly buy another tool set from Charlie.
Now I need to practice making checks that fit my wacky mould and learn how to get this one going properly.

The best part is becoming independant of Lyman and Hornady and the several layers of middlemen that determine not just the price, but also the availabily of this important component! Cast boolits + homemade gas checks, it just keeps getting better.:)

Jack

S.B.
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
How do you find the products by Charlie Darnall on ebay what do you type in the search area? Must be fairly well hidden. I tried Gas Check Tool and every thing else I could think of.

mtnman31
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
As of this moment, there are none listed on Fleabay. This is a link to an auction that recently ended for one of his tools.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230226834847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

twotoescharlie
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I emailed him yesterday, at present he is resting and not making any gas check tools

TTC

S.B.
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
All the correspondance I've received from his, I can't make heads or tails from it, talks in riddles? Has yet to answer any of my questions directly, answers make no sence. Maybe, he gets so much email, and is trying to answer them, he can't keep them straight?

Duckdog
03-22-2008, 01:25 PM
If I had a lathe, I'd be messing around and making these. I was able to find the punch sets for about $6, so I ordered a couple of sets. There isn't really much to these. There appears to be pleanty of interest!

I think I'm going to get some of the copper sheet stock from Menards and if needed, I'll anneal it to soften it.

For those in need of a tool, maybe someone on this site with a lathe can be talked into making some. I would post some photos if that is the case and someone would like an idea on how to proceed.

racepres
03-22-2008, 03:13 PM
From what I have seen, and based on an experience many moons ago, I believe that I can make a lee cast sizer work.. some machining required!!! But for the O.D. .. heck if I don't wanna change what lee offers... I can just order up what I need. If it works, I will let y'all know! MV
Duckdog, Where did ya find punches? Thanks

Duckdog
03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Just google in "12 pc hollow holw punch set" and you'll find some. There is a considerable price range. The .311 gas checks are made with a 3/8" punch.

I think they all must be made in the same place, as they all look the same, no matter where they come from.

I thought about using a Lee sizer, but figured I couldn't get the check down to the bullet's base diameter. Only the finished diameter. I would think a person could reduce the side of the punch that fits into the ram. That would give a guy the bullets base and the sizer would give the outside "finished" diameter. I think I see where your going.

Good luck!