PDA

View Full Version : American Select and 45 colt

Doc.Holliday
05-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Perhaps some of you folks can give me direction on reloading the 45 colt Ruger revolver and a Rossi carbine with Alliant American Select powder. My cast bullets are RNFP flat base and come out at 242 grains.
There is not much information on the Alliant website; one 230 gr Cowboy load. The burn rate is showing between Red and Green Dot so am I wrong in thinking that Red Dot data should be safe to start with?
I normally use 6.6 gr of Red Dot for my walking around load in both guns and Power Pistol for my mid range loads.
Unfortunately there is no Red, Green Dot or even 700X anywhere close to me; just this dusty orphan pound of American Select that apparently no one else had use for; Lack of reloading data is showing me why.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doc

kens
05-09-2015, 09:44 PM
loaddata.com has several loads listed, but it is a subscription service.
however it did reference where it gets the data from

sdcitizen
05-09-2015, 10:24 PM
I use it and like it. Red dot data was real close for me by weight, american select is a bit fluffier though.

Doc.Holliday
05-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Thank-you kindly for your replies; I will start with Red Dot data and weigh my charges till I come up with a load that works in my guns.

Doc

kens
05-10-2015, 07:49 AM
I use it and like it. Red dot data was real close for me by weight, american select is a bit fluffier though.
You say Am Select is fluffier than Red Dot?
I have read that Red Dot is fluffier than Bullseye, GreenDot and Unique.
If Amercan Select is the fluffiest of all these, then it stands to reason it is good for .45colt.
this case is so big it needs a fluffy powder.

Ken in Iowa
05-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Well, not quite as fluffy as Red Dot, but close. Look at the powder bushing charts in this reloading guide.

http://outdoorwriters.atk.com/resource_library/catalogs/alliantpowderreloadersguide.pdf

American Select looks very promising for CAS loads. I'm looking forward to more data and range reports. Meanwhile, I am fortunate to have good stocks of older powder to use up.

358 Win
05-10-2015, 02:43 PM
My unscientific testing of American Select suggests to me it is a tad slower burning than Red Dot in both shot shells, revolver, and pistol loads. In my handgun testing it has never proved to be as accurate as Red Dot.
358 Win

Doc.Holliday
05-10-2015, 03:09 PM
I have loaded up a few rounds in various powder weights using my scale, for chrony testing tomorrow I Hope!
I am using all Winchester brass for this and I will confirm it takes up a wee bit less room in the case than a comparable weight of Red Dot.
358 have you pushed this AMSEL powder loads any heavier at all than the Alliant cowboy data?

Doc

Doc.Holliday
05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
After testing various loads with American Select , I have come to the conclusion that it is very close to Green Dot. Clean burning, softer recoil and report.Went a bit over 7.0 g in my guns with no pressure signs.
I like it as well as Red Dot. It occupies a very narrow slot between Red and Green Dot

Doc.

Ken in Iowa
05-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Do you feel that it is cleaner burning than Red Dot for the lighter charges Doc?

shoot-n-lead
05-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Rocky Raab said it was the BEST powder for 44 special...so, I think that would make it, at least, good for the colt.

Doc.Holliday
05-13-2015, 10:57 AM
No; I would not say that it is cleaner burning than Red Dot with the light charges. As I got away from the cowboy loads it was as clean as Red Dot.

Doc

utahtrapper
05-24-2015, 08:19 PM
good info.
Thanks

runfiverun
05-24-2015, 11:50 PM
since green-dot is a slow lot of red-dot with green dot's in it, that is a very narrow window indeed.

waarp8nt
05-25-2015, 08:34 AM
After testing various loads with American Select , I have come to the conclusion that it is very close to Green Dot. Clean burning, softer recoil and report.Went a bit over 7.0 g in my guns with no pressure signs.
I like it as well as Red Dot. It occupies a very narrow slot between Red and Green Dot

Doc.

I have only loaded .40 S&W with American Select, just haven't got around to trying other cartridges yet. But, I would have to agree cleaner than Green Dot and I like it as well as Red Dot.