PDA

View Full Version : CFE Pistol with .45 ACP & 200 SWC?

Blackwater
05-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Is anyone using this load? I'm interested, at least when I can FIND some CFE Pistol, because the Hodgdon Annual Manual lists this as the fastest powder for 200 gr. SWC at over 1100 fps. and at std. pressures. Of course the question of extra power springs for the gun comes up with a boost in velocities, so any experience and observations on that issue would be appreciated too, if you have them. Your experience with this combination would be appreciated. I hate to have to order an 8 lb. jug without at least some reports of that load's effectiveness, consistency, accuracy, etc. Thanks for any input you can provide.

tazman
05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
I don't have a 45 ACP. However, I have tested that powder in 38 special, 9mm, and 40S&W. In all cases the powder worked as listed. I got excellent accuracy.
I also got exactly the velocities shown for the powder and boolit weight combinations listed on Hodgdon's web site for all the loads I tested (2 or more in each caliber).
I was already using heavier than stock springs in all my semi-autos, so I can't really make a recommendation there either.
I can recommend the powder without reservation. I recently stocked up on it myself.