PDA

View Full Version : Hornady case activated powder drop. Which Dry Lube?

JesterGrin_1
05-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Pardon me if this is a dumb question but this is the first Case Activated Powder Drop I have ever messed with.

I am fitting it to an RCBS Uniflow II with a new Small Drum from RCBS. I have already cleaned up the RCBS Uniflow II and coated the drum with a spray graphite dry lube from NAPA. It goes on wet and dries leaving a good coat of graphite.

The question is would this spray on graphite also work well on the internal components of the Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop or would there be something better?

Thank You.

BenW
05-09-2015, 07:26 AM
I'd run a pound or two of powder through it. Powder comes with graphite mixed in with it to reduce static and improve powder flow.

JesterGrin_1
05-09-2015, 07:28 AM
I'd run a pound or two of powder through it. Powder comes with graphite mixed in with it to reduce static and improve powder flow.

I understand the part about the powder but the Hornady case activated powder drop mechanism has moving parts as well that should be lubricated with a dry lube.

troyboy
05-09-2015, 08:41 AM
I use powdered graphite on all my powder measures.

JesterGrin_1
05-09-2015, 03:03 PM
I use powdered graphite on all my powder measures.

Good Deal. Thank You.

I do not know if you have used the spray graphite dry lube from NAPA but it works great. It will go on wet and cover the area completely and then when it dries it stays. Also unlike the granular graphite it does not go everywhere.

noylj
05-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I have only used powdered graphite or an actual hopper full of black (graphitized) powder.
Hornady makes a very good One Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube spray for cleaning metal parts. Let it dry and you will also have a fine dry lube coating.
It is possible the spray you used may be graphite powder and a binder (sort of a graphite "paint") and the binder might "gum up" the measure.
Nope. MSDS shows

18% Propane
17% Butane
27% Hexane
13% 2-Methylpentane
5% 3-Methylpentane
4% 2,3-Dimethylbutane
1% 2,2-Dimethybutane
2% Cyclohexane
10% 2-Propanol
2% Graphite