PDA

View Full Version : Lead .38 caliber "solder" rolls

RogerDat
05-08-2015, 09:19 PM
I found some rolls that were probably 30# or so full marked as Solder with a size of 38 caliber and a type of lead. I was thinking this might be something used for swaging. I bought one of the rolls (25# worth) figuring I could use it as plain and it would be easy to cut off small amounts instead of trying to cut a chunk off of an ingot to get the right weight for a recipe. Sometimes the last 1/4 lb. is a pain.

Then I got to thinking it might be something better used for swaging. I guess I have two questions. Is this thick lead wire what is used for swaging? If so is it worth more for that purpose than it is as plain lead?

nicholst55
05-08-2015, 09:50 PM
If the wire is actually solder, I expect that it is too hard to swage with. Lead wire for swaging is pure lead, or very nearly so.

bangerjim
05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
As said earlier, if it is dead soft, it is NOT solder (50/50) and since it is marked "38 cal," and from a loading shop, it is more than likely used to swage 38 cal jacketed boolits. I have never seen real solder sold in caliber format!

I would not call it solder. You might want to send a small piece to a swager from this group so they can reall ID it, if they would volunteer.

Good luck!

RogerDat
05-09-2015, 05:46 AM
Not really solder. The rolls said "solder" on one end which got me all excited about the tin, until I read the other side of the roll and saw the type "lead" ink stamped on the end of the roll and felt it bend. This stuff is dead soft. I could make a pretzel out of wire that was 1/3 of an inch thick (.38)

I think it was just manufactured by a place that sold rolls of solder. Spool had white areas labeled Type & Size where they stamped in ink what the roll contained. This one said "Lead" and "38 caliber".

For my use I would have loved to have seen 50/50 or 70/30 stamped there as type. 27 lbs. of "tin" solder would be a very nice score even if down at 10% tin. But in the end I bought one of the rolls even as plain lead. Figured I could cut short pieces to bring weight of "plain" in a casting pot recipe up to exact amount without having to chop a chunk off of an ingot.

This was all a casters lead being scrapped, son said his dad could no longer see to use it. About 3 milk crates worth of lead. There was another roll or two of this lead "solder" I thought it might be swaging materials. I was curios as to the original use thought someone here might know. If of more value to another member for swaging I would try to work out shipping and sell it on.

Short Range
05-09-2015, 08:38 AM
RogerDat,
Sending an PM about a possible trade,,,,

RogerDat
05-10-2015, 11:54 AM
PM received. Glad to find someone that can use this lead wire for something other than plain lead for casting. Much better to use the available sheet or plumbing scrap that has to be melted anyway for casting purposes and the lead wire for swaging as intended.

Have to admire the bullet maker that brought it in, they said he explained that he had been doing this for 35 years. When eyesight originally started going he set up magnifying lenses on his bench so he could continue making bullets. Now he could not read calipers well enough to be sure of making safe ammo so he was quitting. Lot of folks talk about putting safety first. This guy backed it up when it cost him. Like I said glad to see the material going to it's intended use.