PDA

View Full Version : Range report--mixed results

quickshot
03-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Well for the first time in a long time I finally got to go out to the range. My usual haunt was cosed so I decided to just bite the bullet and hit the indoor range.(I really hate indoor ranges). Took the Ishy 2a/k-31/rossi .357 and my m65 smith out for a little exercise.

K-31 ---19/Blue dot/virgin graf brass/cci lr/lee c309-150 @.311 Lars red RTT(range to target) 30 yrds
1st shot went right to POA
2nd shot- click....click....what the hell? click...hmm...opened the bolt and saw no primer indention and NO BOOLIT!!!! boolit was lodged in the throat and powder spilled all though the mag. I forgot the cleaning rod so that ended that fun with that rifle.

Ishapore 2a---16/2400/mixed brass/cci lr/lee c309-150 @.311 lars red RTT 30yards
nice soft recoiling round accuracy wasn't all that great 3"@30. (might have been me though I haven't irons untill now) no leading and no stuck boolits. Boolit was seated to the crimp groove. Might try longer oal and start climbing the charge ladder some more.

Rossi 972---(38)4.3/BE/cci sp/lee 358-125rf @.358/ Lars red RTT 15yds
This wheelie likes this load. 50 shots in the x ring with plenty of room to spare. Defiantly shows promise.

load #2 (.357)9.4/BD/cci sp/lee 358-158rf @.358/lars red RTT 15yds

This is my new field load for the wheelie. 6shots all touching that works for me. (I haven't been able to make this gun shoot for crap with anythig so I am really happy with this load gun combo!)

S&W m-65--load #1 (38) 4.3/BE/cci sp/lee 358-125rf @.358/lars red RTT 15yrds

not impressed at all. Load shot to POA but that is about all I can say about it. There were no real groups to speak of more like patterns.

load #2-- 9.4/BD/cci sp/lee 358-158rf @ .358/ lars red RTT 15yds

This load didn't perform as well in the smith as in the rossi but still I was impressed. 1.5" group shot to POA. Recoil was totally managable. Great practice round.

So overall not a real bad range trip. I need to sit down with that k-31 and figgure out what is going on with it. I think that I might try out the lee 155 sks boolit next. With that boolit seated to the crimp groove it engraves on the rifleing. Anyone else using that boolit in the k-31? Also some of the grafs brass has slightly rounded shoulders (they are not really sharp and well defined) is that something that I should worry about as this is the first time that I have ever dealt with virgin brass before. Thats all for now. Tune in nest time for more laughter/tears/head scratching and general mayhem.! :Fire::Fire::Fire::brokenima

Maven
03-16-2008, 07:17 PM
QS, You've learned something about the K-31 today that will help you avoid that problem in the future. To wit, the K-31 hasn't much of a throat and will not fire if the bolt isn't completely in battery. (Serial # on bolt top must be in 12 o'clock position when viewed from above for it to fire.) The solution is to seat the CB more deeply into the case so as to allow the loaded round to chamber and not leave the CB in the bbl. when you close the bolt. On the Lee CB, that means seating up to and probably a bit deeper than the first driving band/crimp groove at the nose. Experiment with the OAL with dummy rounds until you get reliable bolt closing and extraction with some nose engraving. Can't help you with the SKS CB, but the Lee 113gr. "soup can" is a real tack driver in the K-31, and as small as it is, it too needs to be seated deeply into the case.

Buckshot
03-17-2008, 01:47 AM
"Also some of the grafs brass has slightly rounded shoulders (they are not really sharp and well defined) is that something that I should worry about as this is the first time that I have ever dealt with virgin brass before. "

..............Very common with new unfired factory brass. Ditto factory ammo too. SOunds liek you had some excellent pistol results!

................Buckshot