PDA

View Full Version : What can I get for $10?!!

1911KY
05-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Anyting you want....Anything?.....oops, sorry, wrong forum :mrgreen:

No seriously, stopped by my local tire shop and got a 45 lb bucket for $10. It had 35 lbs of COWW, 3 lbs of SOWW, 6 lbs of steel and 1 lb of zinc! So roughly 84% usable weights. I offered $5, but apparently someone else has been paying a little more and he was good with $10.

I have been buying lots of scrap pure lead lately, but for the money, wheel weights are for sure the best value.

I hate to take less than half full buckets, but the pickins are gettin slim so I am starting to take what is available.

fredj338
05-08-2015, 02:47 PM
So you got about 32# of alloy for $10, not bad. As long as you didn't have to drive far to get it.;-)

Smoke4320
05-08-2015, 03:42 PM
love you long long time JOE :) :)

Crazyrcflier
05-08-2015, 04:08 PM
I picked up a bucket yesterday at my tire shop for $10 also. Mine had 86 pounds of COWW. Very few SOWW, 10 pounds zinc and prolly 30 iron. It was a good day. Time to melt them down to sell.

RogerDat
05-08-2015, 05:39 PM
I have taken what they have when the have it. With the temps getting warm enough have been melting it all down. Those small bites of the apple have really added up. There are around 900 lbs. of COWW ingots under the bench. Don't have any idea of how many steel WW's I have taken to the scrap yard. A lot of them that is for sure.

Get it when you can, where you can, and be nice to the folks that provide it. :-)

jsizemore
05-10-2015, 09:42 AM
There are plenty of folks on this site that would gladly pay 26cents/lb for WW's. I pay 25 after I've sorted them. Get them while you can, cuz like land, they ain't making no more.

RogerDat
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
You know we will all really hate ourselves if lead prices take some huge drop and we have collected massive amounts at the higher price..... Oh well I'm not going to worry about it! Just going to put on some laetrile gloves and go fondle some lead ingots already in the stash. And if the price drops buy more! Think they call that cost averaging :-)

John Boy
05-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I gave up scrounging WW's a long time ago due to tire dealers & shops adhering to EPA regulations and more zincs being used. Regularly survey the local recyclers for lino and sheet lead only. Then can alloy nearly percentage except pure lead and tin alloys

truckerdave397
05-10-2015, 01:06 PM
If the price of alloy drops then that is just a good time to buy more.

62chevy
05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
You know we will all really hate ourselves if lead prices take some huge drop and we have collected massive amounts at the higher price..... Oh well I'm not going to worry about it! Just going to put on some laetrile gloves and go fondle some lead ingots already in the stash. And if the price drops buy more! Think they call that cost averaging :-)

If the price of alloy drops then that is just a good time to buy more.

10 cents a pound, I'll take a 1000. If only lol.