PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a scare

Sasquatch-1
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
I was annealing 40 S&W brass for jackets this morning using the torch method. Imagine my surprise when I hit a live primer with the torch. Luckily it just shot into the air and bounced off the ceiling.

ReloaderFred
05-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. A flying primer is like a pellet from a pellet gun. It can leave a mark!

Fred

Sasquatch-1
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Actually the case was sitting base down on a piece of steel (I line up about 15 and work my way down). When the primer went off it sent the case flying and the primer only came out about half way.

mold maker
05-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Can you imagine that much energy being released in the middle of (s)melting a pot of range lead? How about if there was powder also involved? Ya just can't ever be to cautious.

Sasquatch-1
05-09-2015, 05:09 AM
This happened to a friend of mine not too long ago. He was not hit by the tinsel fairy but she did make a mess from what he said.

Can you imagine that much energy being released in the middle of (s)melting a pot of range lead? How about if there was powder also involved? Ya just can't ever be to cautious.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Actually the case was sitting base down on a piece of steel (I line up about 15 and work my way down). When the primer went off it sent the case flying and the primer only came out about half way.

Better than base up, perhaps. You need to know about every case you treat this way. Someone could have used a bullet puller to reuse the bullet and powder from a misfired case.