PDA

View Full Version : Recovering From Surgery

Djones
05-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Hello friends,

I am struggling with a problem and need some advice. I had hernia surgery Wednesday and am currently recovering from that operation. My main problem doesn't seem to be the hernia but my back.

Around Sunday I started having a mild ache in my back and a feeling running down my left leg that I am stretching to touch my toes. This stretching feeling hurts! I get it sitting, laying but not so bad standing straight up. I think I threw my back out compensating for the hernia.

Before the surgery I would spend my days standing to avoid the pain in my leg. Now after the surgery I can't stand due to the 4-5" incision in my lower abdomen. I am in agonizing pain. I hate taking pain killers but I have been taking about the max prescribed to me from the hernia surgery.

I need to get my back aligned or something. I am only 30 and in good physical shape. I am not used to being down.

Should I go see a chiropractor, my family doctor or something else?

Thank you all for any input.

I am ready to get better so I can enjoy my family and start helping out with my two kids. My wife is an amazingly strong person and is a huge help. I also need to start practicing for deer season with my new to me Ruger Bisley blackhawk 45 colt.

GoodOlBoy
05-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Should I go see a chiropractor, my family doctor or something else?

Start by calling all three Dr's offices. Or have your wife do it. Ask to speak with Dr so&sos "Nurse". not "one of the nurses" his or her "NURSE". This will get you a direct line to the Dr's most trusted sidekick, and the person who basically runs the whole office. Most likely you will get their voicemail. Leave a description asking them to call back asap so you know if you need to come in, or what you need to do. Also if you hit a fever over 101F after ANY surgery go to the emergency room. PERIOD.

Prayin for you. Just went through the cancer surgery in Feb myself and I feel your pain buddy.

Richard

rondog
05-08-2015, 07:37 AM
In the meantime, might try an ice pack on the area where the pain is coming from, if you can identify where. Big package of frozen veggies will work in a pinch.

I've had some amazing results from ice packs, vs. heating pads. Heat just seems to make things worse, although it feels great in the short term. I recently had a huge, excruciating flare-up in my back, and heat didn't help. Couple of ice treatments, and it was like switching the problem to "off". Just went away overnight. Literally.

But call the docs anyway!!! Ice is just a suggestion for relief.

Wayne Smith
05-08-2015, 07:45 AM
You have two things going on, and from what you said the back problem pre-existed your hernia surgery. You have probably had a bulging disk for some time and the changes in posture, etc. from the surgery made it more acute. Go to your MD, did you never tell them about this before?? Your MD will probably refer for a CT scan of your lower back, from that a decision can be made as to the actual diagnosis and best approach. Bulging disks are not unusual, they are usually re-absorbed with no one knowing anything about it other some minor discomfort. When the buldge impinges on a nerve is when you get the pain you describe. Once the problem is seen and known the likelihood is that chiropractic care can relieve some of the pain and give help reduce the buldge. That is not a given. Pain medication in combination with chiropractic care may be appropriate.

If at all possible avoid surgery. As you probably know, if you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. Surgeons do surgery. A referral to a surgeon seldom results in a referral to a chiropractor. Back surgery has the highest failure rate of all common surgeries. Not only that, there is a tendency for back problems post surgery to cascade, requiring further surgery. There are some exceptions to that.

MrWolf
05-08-2015, 07:46 AM
You might want to speak to a neurologist. I would also think about traditional acupuncture. They got me walking after I hurt my back. Hope it works out for you.

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Find a chiropractor that fully understands acupressure.

They will show you just where to apply pressure and your pain will vanish for possibly 1/2 a day.

Been there and know it works and you NEVER have to look for the pill bottle.

I still remember exactly where the spot is for my back and for when my knees start complaining even after 28 years.

popper
05-08-2015, 10:02 AM
You can call the doc, but just get used to it for a while. Hernia surgery is stitching up torn muscles - you will hurt till they heal. Doc told me to quit cycle riding till it healed well.

Djones
05-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Well I talked to my doctor and he said I need to take prednisone. But I can't start taking that until I am released from the surgeon. Looks like ice packs and some non narcotic pain killers for me until i can find a good chiropractor. Thanks guys for the help.

This is going to be a long few weeks.

I told my surgeon about the leg/hip/back pain but he acted like it was no big deal and the pain would go away after the hernia surgery. Oh well live and learn. I am going to definitely be building my mental toughness and pain tolerance.

waksupi
05-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Yep, ask your doctor. The best thing for me was getting up and walking around as much as possible.

runfiverun
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM
a pain going down your leg like that is usually from a sciatic nerve.

mold maker
05-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Chances are your assessment of the cause is spot on. A less than perfect nerve path was inflamed by an unfamiliar stance prior to the surgery. The surgery made the pain worse because you favor that pain even more.
I've dealt with similar for years and relaxation and OTC pain meds get me by though not pain free. It takes time for the inflammation to recede and a more normal tolerance to begin. The pain, and or the fear of it, will always be there.
Your still a young man, and will have to modify your habits, as to lifting and straining. You have a long life ahead hopefully. It's how you treat your body now, that leaves it in better shape for your old age.
I was young and bullet proof once. I took pleasure in outdoing my peers. Now they are enjoying playing golf and hiking, while I sit to cast/load, use a cane to walk, and a cart to shop.
You already have two injuries that may trouble you for the rest of your life. Make sure you don't further jeopardize your future health. Live for the future, You may live long enough to enjoy it.

MaryB
05-08-2015, 09:47 PM
I am placing bets on L4/L5 bulging disc. Speaking from experience and back surgery that helped for 5 years but now going downhill again. Ice AND heat alternating can help as can a muscle relaxer. If you are not taking narcotic a couple beers can work wonders as a muscle relaxer. Even with the narcotics I take my doc is okay with me drinking 2 beers in a day and it does help my low back pain for awhile.

Low back surgery means 6 months off work, or 6 months not doing much of anything but walking. You won't be lifting, sitting to long, layin got long.... and the first 2 weeks the pain is maxed out...

See your GP first, they are the ones who can refer you on further and they will take baseline xray for the neurosurgeon if you get referred. They can also prescribe better pain killers!

woodbutcher
05-08-2015, 11:46 PM
:wink: I`m betting on what R5R said had the same problem until a quality dc who was a friend got a hold to it.That was about 45 years ago.Has`nt given me a twinge since.4 visits permanently fixed it.Best wishes for a speedy and safe recovery.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

CGT80
05-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Stretching and massage, along with chiropractic adjustments may help. A good deep tissue massage will help loosen the muscles and make the body more mobile. Most therapists have to use very deep pressure on me because I my muscles are so tight, but I found one who could do most of her work with light to medium pressure and still get results. Unfortunately, she got fired after only a month or so at that office, for calling off with no notice and just because she didn't want to work that day. This afternoon, I managed to get a half hour appointment with another therapist I have used in the past (could have used a 90 minute appointment). I strained or pulled my hip last weekend. Even in 30 minutes she made a difference, but she only worked on my right quad, hamstring, glute, and neck. She was able to get into the hip joint at the glute and really work that area. She said most people would have cried from work that deep especially in that short of time, but it doesn't bother me and it wasn't even painful.

Getting a massage to loosen up and then an adjustment right after makes the adjustment work much better than only doing the roller table, heat, and tens unit. I try to do 5-10 minutes of stretching every day as well, but I am sometimes lazy about it. I am only 34, but have beat up my body doing construction work and other similar tasks and have the same tightness and joints that seem to be pulled out that my mom has.

My dad had his upper neck fused, and less than 10 years later, the nearby discs have problems as well. My chiropractor said it puts more strain on the other joints and that my dad should have massage work and adjustments to the other joints to keep them moving as easily as possible, but he hasn't even done stretching for it let alone meet with a therapist or chiro.

375supermag
05-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Hi...

Good luck with your recovery.
Listen to your body, if something hurts get professional help.
Pain and I are old friends...ever since Lymphoma in 1977 at age 23, through a serious back injury, salivary gland cancer three years ago, with a couple of strokes, part of a lung removed and several serious surgeries and a total of 55 radiation treatments.

Pain and I are old friends...but we are not good friends. There are some things that I just can't do anymore, but I can still hunt and shoot, work six days a week and do general yard work and such. I have pretty much given up on mowing the steep banks on the estate and am pretty certain I will never run a marathon, but for over 60 years old I am doing OK. OTC pain killers are pretty much a constant part of my life, but they allow me to do most things I want to do and some of the stuff I must do.

You can learn to manage pain and have a good quality of life, as well.

Bonz
05-10-2015, 10:51 AM
On Sept 11, 2014, I had major surgery and ended up with a 17" incision, cut from ribs to groin. In Nov 2014, I started to experience major back pain. After 3 rounds of pain killers and muscle relaxers, the pain returned. Talked to multiple Dr's and the fix ranged from lose 10-15 pounds to stretching exercise. Finally, I got referred to a hernia surgery team. Dr took one look and scheduled me for hernia repair surgery, 1 x 6"hernia and 1 x 1" hernia. March 2015, he did the repair surgery and ended up re-opening the entire incision and put me back together. I now wear an abdominal binder and have heavy restrictions with a prognosis of a 3 - 6 month recovery time.

Point is you really have to trust the surgeon that did the hernia repair. I just can't believe that a hernia surgeon would have you exercising your abdominal muscles during the healing/recovery process. Can't see how you could possibly ever heal doing that. Also, the abdominal binder does some of the work for your abdominal muscles and helps to speed up the healing process. Good Luck to you ! Charles

MaryB
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
They have really changed things after surgery. Week after rotator cuff they had me in PT getting it stretched... I had neck fusion April 16th, only restrictions are no sharp jars or movements and no lifting over 15 pounds. I even managed to mow lawn at a slower than normal speed so the rough spots were a smooth ride instead of a bounce.

Djones
05-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Good evening friends,

Today I was able to work on the laptop for work. I spent about three hours in bed with the computer and then about three hours at the dining room table in the afternoon.

I wouldn't say my pain is any better but I am learning how to deal with it. I am looking forward to my follow-up appointment next Monday with my surgeon to hopefully be released from restrictions so I can start walking outside.

My wife is greatest. She has been taking care of me and the kids all weekend...even Mother's Day. I owe her big time. I couldn't ask for any better help.

I would like to thank you all for the help and discussion. I will let you know what I end up doing to get rid of these pains in my back, hip, thigh and calf.

David Jones

Bullwolf
05-11-2015, 10:15 PM
I've been a long time sciatica sufferer. Shooting pains down one, or even both legs. Sciatica gives you that pins and needles feeling, as if your leg has fallen asleep - but it doesn't go away.

It makes actually falling asleep quite difficult, and depending on the intensity can be downright excruciating. Pain pills don't help very much, they only dull the pain a little.

I also got extremely debilitating back spasms. They were so bad that they knocked me to the ground. It was a very humbling experience.

My chiropractor suggested that others with problems like I have, often find relief from acupuncture.

I'd never had acupuncture before, and I went into it with a somewhat negative attitude thinking how could sticking pins in me help any.

I have never been so wrong in my entire life!

Acupuncture got me back on my feet, and walking again. It also removed the constant nuisance of sciatica so I was able to fall asleep again at night.

While acupuncture is alternative medicine, it flat out works for me. Might be worth trying, as you have little to lose and a whole lot to gain. Keep it in mind if the other usual channels don't work out very well for you.

- Bullwolf

captain-03
05-11-2015, 10:31 PM
a pain going down your leg like that is usually from a sciatic nerve.

^^^ This ^^^ been there and done that!! It will only get worse!! Get is check out ASAP!!

NSB
05-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Yep, this is where I'd go for medical advice. Why waste time with doctors?.......No one is going to give you the right answer except a doctor. Anyone else is guessing and is probably wrong. Why didn't you let one of the members here do the hernia surgery? Could have done it in a hotel room and saved a ton of money.

CGT80
05-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Yep, this is where I'd go for medical advice. Why waste time with doctors?.......No one is going to give you the right answer except a doctor. Anyone else is guessing and is probably wrong. Why didn't you let one of the members here do the hernia surgery? Could have done it in a hotel room and saved a ton of money.

Wow, what a sarcastic Richard. Have you never learned something from a person who has dealt with the same topic you now may be dealing with? I suppose you have never met a doctor who was only looking out for themselves or who's opinion didn't make sense to you. Have you never wanted to hear from those who may have experienced the same problems before you? Someone who has had the same symptoms with leg pain (sciatica is not a rare problem) is just guessing and they are wrong about what will help it, even though they have first hand experience? I would say that there is a chance they could be wrong, even if it is small, but to say the odds are that they are wrong is going way out on a limb.

While the OP should not put the same trust into the opinions of those on the internet, as in his own doctors, it doesn't mean that they can't help him figure out where to look for additional help. Based on the info in this thread, he can contact various other professionals in the medical world for their opinion and he can compare the findings of people here to what he is told or what he experiences when seeking out those other pros.

The OP should carefully consider the advice given to him here, and not make any rash decisions based on it. Some of the advice may be quite good and some of it..................you couldn't pay me to listen to.

Djones
05-12-2015, 03:49 AM

My family dr told me to wait until I am released from my surgeon. My surgeon said to alternate ibuprofen with the pain meds from the surgery. Neither of these responses has helped me reduce the pain or improve my situation.

I am a engineer and technical problem solver. I am also very young and have not dealt with any kind of health situation similar to this. I have learned and continue to learn about others experiences in the world of reloading, casting, shooting, hunting and living on earth from this sight. I needed more data to help solve my personal health problem. Yes, I need to be cautious. If somebody told me to load up some top level 45-70 loads and go out and shoot 100 to fix my back, while that sounds like a lot better than a trip to a chiropractor, I would have to discredit their option.

I really do appreciate the sincere responses. Thank you fellow members for sharing your personal experiences.

Bad Water Bill
05-12-2015, 04:29 AM
My chiropractic information and experiences came from a chiropractic DEACON and holder of a Brazilian "GOLDEN GLOVE" for outstanding medical practices.

Jerry taught acupressure at the chiropractic college as an extra course.

I feel very privileged to have known such a caring sharing person on a first name basis.

NSB
05-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Here's the problem with the internet: About 90% of the answers you get to questions like this aren't valid. Some are downright dangerous. None of them are medically correct unless they come from a doctor. Who knows which is which? Sorry guys, this just isn't the place to get advice on medical issues such as this one. Loading problems? Yes, unless it's something that'll blow the gun up. I had that surgery and experienced some problems such as the OP described afterwards. It would be wrong and presumptious of me to offer advice based on my personal results. The human body is much to complex to be guessing about answers and leading the OP in the wrong direction. Screwing up a gun or some cases can be dangerous enough but if no one gets hurt you can replace the gun or bullets. Not so with the human body. Some problems just aren't correct for this type of forum. OP...see a doctor and get better advice than you'll get from anyone on here. I'll bet not even one of the responders has any medical training and none are doctors. And I don't care how good a doctor they go to or know, they aren't qualified to offer medical advice. However, it's your choice. I wish you the best.

popper
05-12-2015, 09:51 AM
When the surgeon releases you, get your doc to prescribe PT for the back. Had the double hernia about 40, short bout with sciatica in the 50's and now lower back problem. Bending over & lifting anything really makes it worse.

MaryB
05-13-2015, 12:58 AM
Cold for 15 minutes then the next hour heat... it MIGHT help temporarily. With a pinched nerve you usually get swelling in the spine. http://defalcochiropractic.com/2013/06/12/how-to-properly-apply-ice-and-heat-for-lower-back-pain/

My family dr told me to wait until I am released from my surgeon. My surgeon said to alternate ibuprofen with the pain meds from the surgery. Neither of these responses has helped me reduce the pain or improve my situation.

I am a engineer and technical problem solver. I am also very young and have not dealt with any kind of health situation similar to this. I have learned and continue to learn about others experiences in the world of reloading, casting, shooting, hunting and living on earth from this sight. I needed more data to help solve my personal health problem. Yes, I need to be cautious. If somebody told me to load up some top level 45-70 loads and go out and shoot 100 to fix my back, while that sounds like a lot better than a trip to a chiropractor, I would have to discredit their option.

I really do appreciate the sincere responses. Thank you fellow members for sharing your personal experiences.

Djones
05-13-2015, 05:22 AM
Cold for 15 minutes then the next hour heat... it MIGHT help temporarily. With a pinched nerve you usually get swelling in the spine. http://defalcochiropractic.com/2013/06/12/how-to-properly-apply-ice-and-heat-for-lower-back-pain/

Thanks. I've been icing it the last 20 minutes. I'm going to jump in the shower and turn up the heat!

David

mold maker
05-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Well as to all the best Drs in the world, they too are still "just practicing". They often make a wrong diagnosis, because they failed to ask the right question, or the patient didn't realize the jargon he used to ask it.
They aren't any more kin to God, than anyone of us. The very best they can do, is a SWAG based on the info we give, and the books they were taught from. Older Drs have the benefit of experience, while new Drs have the latest and most advanced education.
We shouldn't depend on a health clinic for car repairs, nor take our health problems to a mechanic, but personal prior experience from either might be valid.
Those of us who have offered opinions, or suggested alternate treatments, may very well be spot on, but the advice should be verified by the Dr in charge, or else a different Dr involved.

Djones
07-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Well friends I'm still not back to 100%. I had an MRI a couple weeks ago. I have five degenerative disks, two of which are bulging and one of the bulging is also "extruded". The L5S1 disk looks bad. I had a first of three cortisone treatment shots into my L4 and L5 disks Tuesday. I am really struggling getting onto my feet in the mornings. I am probably going to have to cancel my Colorado elk hunt if the shot doesn't kick in this week or so.

I am just rambling. I wanted to say thanks for support. This site has helped me keep my sanity the last few months through all of this pain. I am a more patient person and look forward to being a better friend, son, husband and father.

I've been saying my prayers. I sure hope I can deer hunt this fall!

Have a great Independence Day!

KAF
07-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Laying on a OR table can be hard on your back, and letting some underlying problem to shows it's face. The lower back is connected to everything, and you may have strained it compensating for your hernia. Give it a change to calm down then get some MRI's and listen to your DRS. You might be seeing a nerosurgeon, they can cut and do wonders.

lightman
07-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I can't offer much advice, just hoping you get better. Really sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you have a decent 4th!

smokeywolf
07-02-2015, 07:48 PM
L4-L5 herniated disc is pinching sciatic nerve bundle. Pain down left leg that you describe is likely the common Peroneal nerve that runs down the front of the thigh then to the back of the knee and branches off the Sciatic nerve to the calf muscle.

Right after I ruptured my disc I was on the high octane pain killers and seeing 3 doctors (one a neuro surgeon). Neuro surgeon told me that although surgery would solve my ruptured disc problem, back surgery often solves one problem while waking up other problems. Said unless pain becomes unmanageable, surgery is not my best choice. Also said that although the cortisone injections help some, because of their limited success rate he's not a proponent.

Right after my initial injury, my wife and daughter took turns massaging my back and left leg. They learned and used accu-pressure on me and although the pain meds gave longer lasting relief, the massage and accu-pressure gave near complete pain relief while it was applied and for 20 to 30 minutes afterwards with a lessening degree of relief for another 20 to 30 minutes.
That was about 9 years ago. Now, I just use the prescription strength Ibuprofen whenever the pain keeps me from being as active as I want to be. Wife still massages me whenever I overdo it and to minimize my need for the Ibuprofen.

MaryB
07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Living with a bad back:

Modify your routine is number 1! Walk more, sit less. Walking is the best exercise for the low back out there. If you must lift figure out how to do it mechanically if possible. When I was building my deck I rigged a small crane on the back of my lawn tractor to lift the 14 foot long 2x12's for example. Back them into place then lower them slowly and guided them. 2 wheel cart is always on standby for anything over 40 pounds(and that is pushing it with my back).

Learn to live with the pain and do not let it rule you! Keep active even if it hurts a bit. If you quit moving the back will seize up making things worse. And if it gets to the point you need to talk about it do so! I gripe at a friend and she does the same to me(her low back is wrecked from fixing oilfield equipment). Do not bottle it up and try to ignore it. It HURTS some days!

I do not do some things I used to, I can't lift over 30 pounds without pain, over 40 is an instant trip to lay flat in bed. Do not twist with weight, move your feet and not your back so the vertebrae stay in vertical alignment.

Take the pain meds as needed, my doc tried to put me on a fixed dose and I refused. I told her if I have a day I don't need much I will take less. If I have a day where I over did I will take the full prescribed amount. And look into muscle relaxers, they can help when things go into spasm. None of the prescriptions seemed to help me but what does is 3-4 beers. Go figure...