PDA

View Full Version : TC Maxi-ball Powder coat?

moonclip
05-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Just ordered a TC maxi-ball mold off ebay. Been wondering about lube for them. What ya think about PC? I can see a lot of ways that might be nice. At the same time I'm not sure. Maybe both? What do ya think?

Geraldo
05-08-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure that would work well on the whole bullet because of the front band being oversized.

ubetcha
05-08-2015, 07:49 AM
One of the things a good BP lube does is keep the powder fouling soft for easy cleaning. May wind up a hard crusty build-up using PC

randyrat
05-08-2015, 10:39 AM
That is so wrong to powder coat a BP round, you should almost be ashamed of your self:grin:

45workhorse
05-08-2015, 10:46 AM
That is so wrong to powder coat a BP round, you should almost be ashamed of your self:grin:
Probably uses fake black powder to:kidding:

scattershot
05-08-2015, 12:34 PM
One of the things a good BP lube does is keep the powder fouling soft for easy cleaning. May wind up a hard crusty build-up using PC

this. Since you will have to lube anyway, it sorta defeats the purpose. Leading is not a problem in any BP arm I have ever shot.

gutpile
05-08-2015, 02:52 PM
3lbs regular crisco and 1.5 lbs beeswax 1/4 cup olive oil......it acts like a solid wax no melting no stink not greasy just pan lube (melt in oven and then when cool push them out of the cookie)and my 525 grain 50 cal maxi boolits the holes cut each other and we have 10-15 guns in our camp shooting them its simple cheap and it works!!! Many a dead Right there bambi is the result

gutpile
05-08-2015, 02:54 PM
and the fouling stays SOFT usually 3-5 shots before swabbing and fouling wipes out with a spit patch

duckey
05-08-2015, 06:19 PM
I have a Lyman 370 GN TC Maxi Ball mold. I have always used TC's 1000 plus lube with 90 GN of Pyrodex. After 4 shots I had to clean the bore and nipple, switched to American Pioneer powder using 90 GN with an unlubed maxi ball and unlubed barrel. They state to use a solvent to get all the crud and lube residue out. I can fire twice as many shots before cleaning. American Pioneer powder states that lube will hold fouling in the bore. I do notice that I get a bit of a restriction about 6" down the barrel when seating bullets. I use soft lead flashing when I cast the maxi ball. I am not sure PC'd bullets would realy do much for you.

moonclip
05-09-2015, 01:05 AM
TC claims you can shoot 1000 rounds with bore butter. hmmmm Anybody try that?

Maven
05-09-2015, 08:39 AM
TC claims you can shoot 1000 rounds with bore butter. hmmmm Anybody try that?

Actually, I think that claim was Ox Yoke's (Wonder Lube's), which was (is?) a clone of Bore Butter. No matter, but the point I wish to make is the consumer wasn't informed of the manufacturer's experimental design. I.e., how, and under what conditions was the Bore Butter/Wonder Lube tested? Patched round ball or conical bullet? You get the idea....

country gent
05-09-2015, 09:22 AM
The .002-.004 added to dia with powder coat may make the drive bands to hard to seat with out using a heavy mallet/ the other problem area is the actual base wwhich on most moulds is sized to fit lightly sung in the bore allowing bullet to center and be laoded square to bore, The added PC may make this to big to start easily. You might need to make and use a false muzzle to start load these pc coated bullets. Then comes the luube issue of the lube helping to control maintain the foulings cosistency. Lube is more to help keep fouling soft and workable. when it gets hard and crsty dry feeling its almost imposible to load and accuracy goes out the window.

montana_charlie
05-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Maybe both?
fer shure, dood. led us no how that gos.

lar45
05-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Stoats sent me a recipie that he's been working with. Says that he shot 30 rounds in his muzzle loader with minimal cleanup and no hard fouling. Accuracy stayed good...
I've shot it some in my 45-70 sharps with good results also.
I'm making it now as BP-01 at $16.50 per pound block. I have 3# left from the last batch. If you're interested, just let me know.

Glenn.

Geezer in NH
05-15-2015, 05:46 PM
You will be a heretic :kidding: Why for BP? not right.