PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tornados

TXGunNut
05-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Tornado passed within sight of my place about 90 minutes ago, another one on the ground about 6 miles east of here now. So much for an early bedtime, lol.

country gent
05-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Hope theres no damage to your place, or any others for that matter. Had one pass within half mile of here a few years ago we got a little rain some medium wind and the state woods down the road was trashed. A tornado is very selective one house is picked up and completly destryoed the one next to it a little ways away is standing and fine. Hope all is well come morning.

RoyEllis
05-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Keep an eye on the sky & be safe brother! Will pray the twisters pass by harmlessly.

TXGunNut
05-07-2015, 10:51 PM
One grabbed my carport and dropped it 300 ft away a few years ago. Never seen tornado in person in over 50 yrs in TX. I waited this one out a little south of here, clouds still rotating when I got home. Power going off & on, maybe it is bedtime after all.

MaryB
05-07-2015, 11:02 PM
F0 plus 95 mph straight line winds hit here in 2011. Stripped all the vinyl siding and foam insulation off 3 sides of my house and halfway off the 4th side. Farmers are still finding debris out in the field edges from it.

Stay Safe!

Idaho Mule
05-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Texas Tornados??? Hell I was married to one of those once. 11 years of something but it sure wasn't all "bliss". Be safe my friend. JW

texassako
05-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Glad it did not hit you. I just got back in after wading through the lake of a backyard after some 70 mph winds did a number on an old section of fence. Propping up a fence in a bit of rain is better than chasing the neighbor's wet dogs in the morning.

starmac
05-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Unless you have a storm shelter, you may as well go on to bed. It isn't like a guy can do much about them, or even run from them when they hit.

GSM
05-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Lot of boomers and lightning in the midcities right now. Sounds like Rhome (ain't in Itlay) area had one on the ground for a while earlier.

MBTcustom
05-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Praying for you all. Be safe.

Artful
05-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Hoping you have a safe night - prayers sent

Mtnfolk75
05-08-2015, 01:17 AM
No thanks, I will pass on the tornadoes. We have little new snow here in the last hour or so, winds were gusting about 20 mph. Seriously, I hope you have a good night and have no property damage when you wake .. [smilie=s:

Prayers are up for everybody having storms this evening.

BwBrown
05-08-2015, 01:58 AM
We had an F2 direct hit in July, rather selective, but 120mph winds mess pretty much everything up!
Not fun, best observed from a distance for sure!
Be safe.

buckwheatpaul
05-08-2015, 07:13 AM
TXGunNut, I am glad that you and your family is ok. When we lived in Poetry, TX. I put a tornado shelter at that home....We only used it three times but each time a tornado or straight line wind ruined buildings on eather side of our small farm. When we moved to East TX. we put the new improved shelter in....sure makes Mrs. Buckwheatpaul feel better....I know that your plate is full right now but if you need some info. please pm me....Paul

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Dad talked about one that picked up a cousin carried her miles out of town in Northern Wisconsin and dropped her now in her birthday suit but not a bruise to walk back home in her bare feet but very glad to be alive.

popper
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
West metromess seems to get it worse. Prayers for those in Norman and Moore (how many times does a town need to get hit? - don't think Jarrel exists anymore). I just go to sleep with the keys and wallet near. Learned years ago you need at least one CC to survive a 'situation'.

twc1964
05-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Wife saw a twister pop out of the clouds over near rhome. At our house near boyd it was high winds, rain and egg sized hail. Glad our car was in azle sitting in a car wash bay.

Kent Fowler
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
West metromess seems to get it worse. Prayers for those in Norman and Moore (how many times does a town need to get hit? - don't think Jarrell exists anymore). I just go to sleep with the keys and wallet near. Learned years ago you need at least one CC to survive a 'situation'.

Did they get another tornado after the 1997 one? Haven't been into the town proper, but stopped at the Jarrell TxDot rest area on I-35 a while back. It's the only restroom I ever saw that has it's own tornado shelter. Friend of mine lost his 63 Ford Falcon in the 1971 Lubbock tornado. DPS found the front bumper of it ,with the license plate still attached, about 30 miles north of Lubbock. They called him to check if anyone had died in it.

SSGOldfart
05-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Tornado passed within sight of my place about 90 minutes ago, another one on the ground about 6 miles east of here now. So much for an early bedtime, lol.
I'm still cleaning up from last Monday's Tornado, we lost power for three days and internet but no major damage small stuff, Everything was blown around

texassako
05-08-2015, 11:40 AM
The ground here is so saturated any rain just becomes run off with a couple of inches forecast over the next couple of days. A train derailed near Rhome and the tv helicopter footage showed a 100 yard or so stretch of track washed right off the embankment down into the woods still together with ties and sand piled up against it. Be safe out there everyone.

Artful
05-08-2015, 11:46 AM
TXGunNut (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?20061-TXGunNut) give us a sign your OK, Please.

MaryB
05-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Sunday night is setting up to be a fun one here... I am going to be on the line between 80 and 40 degree temperature differential with lots of wind shear to make it nasty.

35 shooter
05-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Wow, just saw this thread. Tx hope everything went well for you...let us know! We've had a couple come close to the little town i live in this year and one touched down on the north end for a little while.
Seems it's always at night here and you can't see them, but keeps you nervous knowing it's close by!

woodbutcher
05-08-2015, 11:34 PM
:shock: Hi Texas.God bless and keep you all safe.
Leo

Artful
05-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Anyone heard from him? or have an idea of what happened in his AO?

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Sorry to keep you in suspense, yesterday was a very long day but nothing storm-related. I told folks that asked that I had some new lawn furniture, needs a little work but looks pretty good! Thanks for thinking about me.
I need to take a good look today but looks like only effect here was a bit of debris. Cat showed up this morning so it's all good on my little spot on the prairie. Some folks around Boyd lost their homes and a guy lost his life a little north of here trying to drive across a flooded stream crossing, hope you'll join me in keeping those folks in your thoughts & prayers.
The train derailment just N of here was apparently flood related, was having trouble imagining a tornado causing that but it happened during the same storm.

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Oh boy! More thunderboomers and the air has a nice green tint. 'Scuse me while I check in with NOAA, lol.

Echo
05-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Wife saw a twister pop out of the clouds over near rhome. At our house near boyd it was high winds, rain and egg sized hail. Glad our car was in azle sitting in a car wash bay.

How many others on this forum have been through the thriving metropolis of Azle?

Echo
05-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Before I retired from the USAF I was stationed at Tinker AFB, near OKC. We lived on base, and there was a dike (dirt, not the other kind) maybe 6-8' tall behind our house, and during this season, kids (and grown-ups) would stand on the dike and look for (and often see!) funnel clouds.

Artful
05-09-2015, 11:27 AM
TXGunNut, good to hear your Ok.

Waiting for the next installment from NOAA :popcorn:

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 11:28 AM
How many others on this forum have been through the thriving metropolis of Azle?

Probably more than a few, some probably didn't even realize it. ;-) It's a very pleasant little town N of Ft Worth recently overcome by urban sprawl.

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 11:30 AM
TXGunNut, good to hear your Ok.

Waiting for the next installment from NOAA :popcorn:

Thanks. Just another T-storm, maybe a bit of hail. Flooding a threat but that's nothing new around here.

Kent Fowler
05-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Been close to it lots of times on 287, when I was headed home to the Texas panhandle. I can remember many times my mother waking me up when the tornado siren at the fire station went off.

popper
05-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Yea, there was an earlier one in the 80'sthat just missed most of the town. Second one was after they put in a new development - it was wiped out. Wife said it's been rebuilt now - I haven't gone that way for a long time. I survived the flood & tornado in KC in the 50's, Carla, Wichita & Ca. earthquakes.Storms tend to train from Abiline, Tx to Chi-town.

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Looks like Gainesville, TX is getting hammered right now. That's 20 miles N of here. Texassako had a pretty good storm earlier today. Big storm forming E of Abilene headed this way, think I'll get my errands run before it gets interesting again.

bear67
05-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Azle--heck I used to go through regularly as I lived at Wizzard Wells in Jack County and ran 199 a lot to Cowtown. I have lots of friends in Jack and Wise Counties--ran cattle in W Wise and E Jack for a number of years. Good friends in Boyd, Rhome, Alvoid, and Paradise. Lots of friends north in Montague and Bowie Counties also. Wife lady taught at Chico. You guys watch the skys and take care. We had Tornado watch for a while last night and flash flood for tonight and tomorrow. Planned on cooking outside for family Mother's day celebration but may cook fajitas and boil shrimp in the shop or barn instead as it is 100% forcast wet for Sunday here.

texassako
05-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Looks like Gainesville, TX is getting hammered right now. That's 20 miles N of here. Texassako had a pretty good storm earlier today. Big storm forming E of Abilene headed this way, think I'll get my errands run before it gets interesting again.

It was just a whole bunch of rain, but looks like all of North Texas has a whole week of bad weather ahead of us.

GSM
05-09-2015, 08:47 PM

A couple of times. Metropolis? Not so sure.

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Small flock of ducks just landed in my neighbor's front yard, lol. First morning in awhile water hasn't been over the road in front of the house in a few days.....but it may still be rising, lol.
KHYI is off the air today, D/FW got hit pretty hard by T-storms this AM. Missing my County Gospel music program this morning but I dug out a Willie CD, liked it so much I followed up with Merle.

texassako
05-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Tornado is on the ground not far from my house. Luckily I am not near there visiting my MIL, but the suspense is tough.

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Yes, been monitoring that. They moved everyone into the hallways at Presby hospital awhile ago, tornado damage at Golden Triangle Mall. Watched the storm pass east of here, other storms behind it now. Street out front was flowing 3-4" deep at 10mph. Think I'll stay home and do laundry.

MaryB
05-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Front stalled out to my south, just rain here that is putting a dent in the drought conditions.

popper
05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks and prayers for those guys doing the high water rescues. Saw the news vid of the chopper trying to get the guys of the truck - if he'd got caught on the fence, what-cha-gonna-do with the chopper.

TXGunNut
05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Heard about that today, that was in the town where I pick up my mail. Sad news from Van, two bodies recovered today. Rough weekend around N TX, lots of folks thankful to be alive.

popper
05-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Get to drive through it today on the way to the hill country. Hope the rough stuff is over for a while. Had enough of the I35 corridor weather when the kids were going to UT.

popper
05-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Back from Luckenbach. Spent a lot of time in the Pacific War museum (huge place with subs.) & Nimitz as it rained most of the time,even the gals were interested. Fair weather up and back. Stopped at the Bluebonnet cafe in marble Falls, much better than the KK in Hico.

jumbeaux
05-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Heard about that today, that was in the town where I pick up my mail. Sad news from Van, two bodies recovered today. Rough weekend around N TX, lots of folks thankful to be alive.

Couple that died were very active in the FUMC Van. He was a Certified Lay Minister and she had been the Church Secretary. He was a retired Garland, TX PD Lt. He and I were childhood friends...our grandparents were next door neighbors for many years. Funeral Service was today. Storm that hit Van damaged or destroyed 35% of the town...

rick

Kent Fowler
05-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Back from Luckenbach. Spent a lot of time in the Pacific War museum (huge place with subs.) & Nimitz as it rained most of the time,even the gals were interested. Fair weather up and back. Stopped at the Bluebonnet cafe in marble Falls, much better than the KK in Hico.
The PWM is interesting, but I really liked the old museum as it had more personal items belonging to Nimitz. Think they stored all of Nimitz's guns that they used to have on display. Nimitz must have been a really powerful Admiral as at one time the museum had the Norden bombsight out of the Enola Gay. It is no longer there, but I suspect it has been re-united with the airplane, which has finally been put together after much controversy and is on display out at Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA. It's pretty neat as the museum has a crosswalk going from on side of the center to the other and you can look down into the cockpit of the Enola Gay and almost imagine Paul Tibbets being in the pilot seat.

popper
05-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Think I met him when I lived in garland.
I thought they changed the museum, saw it but didn't visit ~ 20 yrs ago. Town was a lot smaller then.

starmac
05-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Haven't lived in marble falls for years, but the Bluebonnet was an excellant eatery for many years. I don't know if it as it used to be, but it was a very desirable place for waitresses to work for years too, once one got a job there, they would generally stay put.

popper
05-16-2015, 04:46 PM
They look like they are from WWI, waitresses that is.

starmac
05-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Probably been 20 years, maybe 25, but I bet there are a couple that I would recognise. lol

TXGunNut
05-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Here we go again, big tornado just hammered Mineral Wells. Haven't heard damage reports and it ain't over yet. I think that system will be passing west and north of here by a pretty good margin but suspect Gainesville will be flooded tomorrow.

bear67
05-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Texas Tornado, just a different one. I have family and friends in Van along with a daughter and her family who live 6 miles west. My grand daughter's school is gone and her school year is canceled. My son moved Texas Parks and Wildlife personel and equipment in the morning after. I moved our small dozer and a skid loader with material forks in the second day and this is my first day off--we live 45 miles SE of the storm damage. I have a family operators still working the equipment but this old man is tired. My 19 year old grandson operated dozer over the weekend, but had to go back to work. Lots of damage, two dead, and around 50 injured, but it looks bad still. You would not believe how much chain saw gas and oil has been consumed.
I am including a video taken by a drone that does a better job of showing the damage than all the TV footage from helicoptors and the ground. I hope this works for your use.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/14d500dd0e35a843?projector=1

Bad Water Bill
05-19-2015, 10:19 PM
It said that it is no longer available.

bear67
05-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Thats strange because I can still pull it up. Just wanted to share the drone footage.

bear67
05-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Maybe go to you tube and search for
Van Texas, Drone footage of tornado aftermath.
Going to bed, Bear

Bad Water Bill
05-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Just found this.

HONORING VAN TX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xa3lfJXiCw

coloraydo
05-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Drone footage of Van, Tx. tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrvwG7QuX8

MaryB
05-19-2015, 11:59 PM
Prayer to all who lost lives/property and to those who are working tirelessly to help them recover!